An Age of Miracles: The Revival of Rhomanion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't forget that the Despotate of Sicily is still there, they're not going to attack the Empire and any other attackers would have to go through them first.

Last edited:
About the Great Northern war while I'm looking forward to a sound russian defeat (I like them, but they need a serious kick in the nuts to get out of their funk) I'm wondering where the new capital could be:

Novgorod itself will be probably too close to the border (it already was, but the war will make it more evident).

I don't particularly like Kiev, while it's the place where the Megas Rigas is crowned, it's in the Lithuanian part and it's not that far from the border (although the distance itself could be a point in favour of this choice, to be "connected" with the rest of European capitals).

Any place in Scythia is no good, the area is more dependant on Rhomania for its economy that the rest of Russia.

I would suggest a place along the Volga which would also be a signal of the renewed interest in the eastward expansion (since obviously any westward conquest would be minor o meant to get back the lost territories, but no more). Given my reasoning I'd say Nizhny Novgorod would be ideal (even OTL managed to become a major trade centre in the Russian empire).

Another update so soon, thanks B444! With things progressing as they are now I hope the rebel army is quickly surrounded and the war ends without further bloodshed.
This, though. What better way for the whole thing to go? It's high time someone showed people like Nikolaios Polos that the field of battle no longer reigns paramount.

This, though. What better way for the whole thing to go? It's high time someone showed people like Nikolaios Polos that the field of battle no longer reigns paramount.

it would be awesome, but I think it's a bit early for such a lesson to be understood.

If Helena can withstand the "bad press" for a while, she could avoid major confrontantions against the army of the East, waiting out its falling apart for lack of pay. I don't know how much is really feasible though.

it would be awesome, but I think it's a bit early for such a lesson to be understood.

If Helena can withstand the "bad press" for a while, she could avoid major confrontantions against the army of the East, waiting out its falling apart for lack of pay. I don't know how much is really feasible though.

not feasible. they could control all of Anatolia before it falls apart...

what prisoners? I missed it (or I forgot, the end result is the same :p)

These ones:

For thirty five hundred casualties, he inflicted close to five thousand (the ratio is even more lopsided as Andronikos is forced to abandon most of his wounded while many of Nikolaios’ losses soon heal and return to duty) and took another four thousand prisoners, many of which are soon convinced to join him, making good his losses.

Is there a wiki page for this? I'm not good with names and I have a bad habit of ignoring dates. It'd be easier to have that in a different tab as I read this. In the meantime, so I don't have to look it up again, which side is Andronikos and Demeitrios. I probably murdered the names.

In order of poorest to richest, the themes go as such: Armeniac (amalgamation of the Koloneian and Syrian themes), Bulgarian, Anatolic, Helladic, Chaldean, Macedonian, Syrian, Thracian, Optimatic, Opsikian, Thracesian.

Most of Syria is dirt poor, but the theme includes Cilicia and the Kephalates of Antiocheia (includes Alexandretta), Tyre, and Acre which bring the theme as a whole to 5th place. If Constantinople was removed, the Optimatic, Opsikian, and Thracesian themes bring in as much revenue as the other 8 combined. It's not surprising since half of the Empire's population lives there.

Civil wars are a bad trend. The Triumvirate recognizes that, so they're trying with the epanagoge to nip it in the bud, but the problem with philosophical/legalistic solutions is that one can just pull a Justinian II and get an army that doesn't care for such things. Once the concept of the epanagoge is able to sink in over a few generations, it will be much more effective.

@ed_montague and Arrix85: Unless you're pretty women, I'd rather you didn't. ;)

The West is currently busy. There is the Great Northern War, the Dantean War between the rump Kingdom of Lombardy and the League of Arezzo, and the Arletian War of Succession.

I'm planning for the new Russian capital to be Vladimir, although with coronations still at Kiev.

Helena has the material advantage, but post-Germia Nikolaios/Andreas have the morale advantage. Nikolaios is a skilled war captain and famous veteran of the Long War, protege of Andreas Drakos. After demolishing the bulk of the Army of the Center at Germia, I don't see it very hard for him to sway tired soldiers, especially after he points out how much better they'll eat as his troops compared to his prisoners.

There isn't a wiki for this. Andronikos Chrysokompas is a supporter of Helena, the loser at Germia and currently commander of the Army of the Halys, headquarters at Sinope.

Kaisar Demetrios Drakos is Helena's second son and the younger brother of Andreas (III).

Nobody commented on the weddings. That's okay, those won't bear fruit for another fifty years...

I have a familial relations question. Ioannes Laskaris is the son of Aferdita Kastrioti, who is the sister of Alexios Kastrioti, who is the husband of Princess Theodora Komnena Drakina, who is the stepsister of Empress Helena. So what is the relation between Ioannes and Helena?

I fell off the wagon for a while, so can I ask anyone if I've missed anything big that happened after the death of Andreas Drakos the elder and the colonization of Mexico by David Komnenos? I just read the last two updates, and I think I understand the status of Rhomania, with Helena relying on her sisters for support and becoming estranged from Nikolaios and their eldest son Andreas, skipping him in succession in favor of their less palatable younger son (Demetrios I think he was).

Am I missing any important developments in Rhomania? Also, a concise summary of things aboad would be appreciated.

The Third Triumvirate is trying to mitigate the constant issue of succession crises by nailing down proper de jure procedures to offset the legitimacy of military coups. Instead of strict primogeniture, the Romans are going for a meritocratic succession within the Imperial family. In this case the first born son turned out to be a dyslexic so he got passed over, much to the displeasure of the estranged consort Nikolaios Polos (who likes Andreas III most).

Roman military has been given an overhaul to reduce logistical problems, trim down superfluous stations, raise morale through meritocracy and regimental system, and most importantly raise loyalty through conversion from land&payment Laskarid system to full payments.

The Empire is being made to be easier to administer. Unlike the bloated ungainly beast it was under the conquest-happy Andreas Niketas, the new Empire is said to be much leaner and pound-for-pound stronger. Themes have been re-arranged to better fit demographic realities and more of Theodoros IV's notes have been brought out to make the Imperial Bureaucracy more efficient - the Imperial Bank to better control coin circulation, for instance.

To prevent a repeat of the disastrous Abbasid uprising, the empire is taking special care in making sure its demographics heavily favour Greek-Orthodox persons. As such the Muslim-heavy fringes have been trimmed, either becoming autonomous client states or outright being sold off in return for huge sums of gold. The recently de-populated Levant has been flooded with people from Greece and Western Anatolia, making it a Greek-majority region.

In a reversal of the ham-fisted diplomacy undertaken by Theodoros IV and Andreas I, the Third Triumvirate is trying to make the Empire more acceptable among the Latins by appearing more peaceful and approachable, culminating in the grand tour of Europe conducted by Her Serene Highness Theodora Komnena and her retinue.

The Despotates are holding their own, dealing with the Empire on good terms while having their own (parallel) goals. Sicily is mostly licking its wounds and glaring at the Italians. Carthage is stuck in a low-intensity war against the Corsairs and Marinid-breakaways. Egypt is trying to remain stable by oppressing its huge Muslim majority, which has forced them to stay close to Constantinople.

The Ottoman Empire has disintegrated in the face of Timur II's invasion. In turn, the Timurids were simultaneously attacked by Osman Komnenos' Persians, the Georgians, Turkish remnants, Uzbeks and other steppe peoples. Timurid Empire is no more, with Timur II & his army entering and settling in Rhomania as exiles. Timur II has had a son before being assassinated. Methinks this new "Sideros" line will merge with the Drakids to produce the modern Imperial line.

Persia has formed a new Ottoman Empire under Osman Komnenos. This new Ottoman Empire is a Persian one with a strong Turkish flavour. Bad relations with the Romans.

Rhomania in the East has been steadily expanding, annexing some islands in the Philippines and working alongside Shimazu-funded wokou in raiding the Chinese coastline. Their tolerant policy towards anyone under their rule has produced large numbers of Greek-speaking locals who regard themselves as Romans. Many Japanese on the Kyushu Island have converted to Orthodoxy as a result of dealings with friendly Romans.

Tieh China has entered its decline due to strong Mongols to the North and discontent over lack of response to wokou in the South. Its Champa and Korean vassals are becoming more and more rebellious.

The Wu are maintaining strong presence on the international stage, regularly dealing with Romans and Ethiopians and thus modernizing steadily. Their advanced Black Ships are not unknown even in Japan.

The New World has a rising star in David Komnenos' Mexican Empire, which has been under immense pressure to modernize due to low-level belligerent attitudes of Iberian & Arletian visiters.

Russia is getting its nose blooded by an alliance of Poland, Scandinavia and Germany. Both are having difficulties due to harsh climate and lack of advanced infrastructure in Russia.

Arletians are having a succession crisis. between a French nobleman and the Greek-German Komnenid heir.

Lotharingians are being Dutch-fied.

England-France-Ireland has become incredibly arrogant due to having survived the Thirty Years War on a high note. Their new King has claimed Emperor-ship over his realm and the Seas (due to strong navy), earning the ire of all of their neighbours.

Lombards are warring against its over mighty vassals

Hungary and Vlachia are quiet due to the poundings they've received recently.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Last edited:
I have a familial relations question. Ioannes Laskaris is the son of Aferdita Kastrioti, who is the sister of Alexios Kastrioti, who is the husband of Princess Theodora Komnena Drakina, who is the stepsister of Empress Helena. So what is the relation between Ioannes and Helena?

So, Alexios is Ionness' uncle. That makes Theodora his aunt. So what is the term for a sibling to your aunt?

Treating step-sister stuff as the same as biological sister means that Empress Helena would probably be called Ionnes Laskaris's aunt. There is no specific term for it, aunt would just likely be what Ionnes would either call Helena or have her be introduced as simply as a generic "you two are related and she's a generation older than you".

I had to make a graph to answer this question...

Status
Not open for further replies.