Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

Mr. President, you've done yet another wonderful update on the Pop Culture of 1980 ITTL. Paul McCartney is still arrested in Japan for Marijuana Possession as IOTL, but with The Beatles on a tour ITTL. While the band would go on hiatus later in December 9th, they're now having a healthy relationship with each other with both the guidance of their band manager Brian Epstein and music producer George Martin. Now I wonder what are the album titles of The Beatles between 1970-1980 ITTL? I'm still looking forward for a huge collaboration of Michael Jackson's Thriller later in 1982 with The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Bee Gees. Bon Scott surviving ITTL was a wonderful news with him going on a rehab to clean himself up and releasing AC/DC's Back in Black later in August would enter into the mainstream indeed and continue to lead the band throughout the decade and beyond ITTL. With Joy Division continues to the music industry as the decade dawned ITTL with their album Closer, I'm hoping for their best success. Led Zeppelin is finally refounded with Paul Rodgers as their new lead vocalist ITTL, now I'm wondering how and what would be their new track in the music industry as the 80's ITTL keeps rolling. Where's Kate Bush, Irene Cara, Pat Benatar, Earth Wind & Fire, Donna Summer, Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen; and Andy Gibb ITTL? Still no collaboration between Barry Gibb and Olivia Newton-John for "Guilty"; and between Elvis Presley and Queen for "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" ITTL? That's also I'm looking forward too as well if these music collaborations that I suggested would happen or not ITTL? Does Elton John got already in the rehab to clean himself up ITTL?

As always for the movies, The Empire Strikes Back (later known today as Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back) is already a standard of how a sequel could be just as IOTL. Still looking forward with Steven Spielberg as the director of Return of the Jedi (later known today as Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi) later in 1983 ITTL. 9 to 5 is already a comedy classic just as IOTL. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee was now a surprise for me and I already loving it with the direction of Martin Scorsese and produced by Marlon Brando. With the movie winning an Academy Award for Best Picture ITTL? Impressive genius! Who are the cast in this movie anyway? Friday the 13th is already a horror classic of the decade just as IOTL as well. Airplane! was now starring David Letterman and Shelley Long in their debut film together ITTL? I would gladly to pay this movie version than IOTL! While is still a comedy classic just as IOTL, it also gave a career renaissance for Leslie Nielsen in the field of comedy after this movie. Would we ever see Airplane II happened ITTL? Flash Gordon ITTL was now an interesting movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger as the titular hero and Bruce Lee as Ming the Merciless? I'm already loving this damn timeline too much! So Bruce Lee didn't done any movies between 1973-1980 ITTL until this movie? So, let's just say this is his comeback movie? Good enough for me!

The Elephant Man is truly a hit with both critics and audiences indeed genius just as IOTL, now winning Best Director for David Lynch, Best Actor for John Hurt, and Best Adapted Screenplay at The Academy Awards ITTL. Popoye is also another 80's comedy classic just as IOTL with Robin Williams in his film debut as the titular sailor and Shelley Duvall as Olive Oly. Without her trauma on the set of The Shining IOTL, I'm assuming she's in a better situation ITTL and continue to have more movie projects, along with Williams as decade continues ITTL. Tristan and Isolde by Ridley Scott and starring Jeremy Irons (in his film debut) and Charlotte Rampling? I would pay to see this movie adaptation ITTL genius indeed. Along with Sean Connery, Vanessa Redgrave, and Judi Dench? I'm too impressed with this impressive cast! Caddyshack and Urban Cowboy were just as the same IOTL, and both of them were already a classic. Hoping for John Travolta and Al Pacino to have a successful movie career for this decade ITTL, they got what it takes when it comes to acting. The Blues Brothers is truly have a star-studded cast just as IOTL, but no mention of Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson as being part of the movie, along with others that I've suggested here earlier on what could be their roles in this movie? Hoping for John Landis to prevent the disaster on the set of The Twilight Zone: The Movie ITTL. Xanadu has now a different plot ITTL and still has the same cast? That's a fine with me geniuses.

Mr. President, I know that we're still far off from the 1980 Pop Culture but I have a question and suggestion. IOTL, Barry Gibb collaborate with Barbra Streisand on making a duet song for "Guilty". ITTL, with Barbra Streisand already dead in 1969, what if we make him a duet with Olivia Newton-John instead? It might give us a new perspective since Barry Gibb is starting to write songs during this decade for other singers and musicians like "Islands in the Stream" for Kenny Rogers and Dolly Parton, "Heartbreaker" for Dionne Warwick, and "Chain Reaction" for Diana Ross.

I still do hope that the Bee Gees and Andy Gibb quickly recover from their music careers now that Disco and the 70's is already over. Their album Living Eyes later in 1981 was to make a distance from their falsettos that they've been doing between Main Course in 1975 and Spirits Having Flown in 1979, I do hope that it gets more praise and recognition ITTL because it's really good and show us that they can adapt to the music environment of the 80's. I've read that by 1988 IOTL, their youngest brother Andy Gibb is finally joining the Bee Gees months before his untimely death from his drug overdose at the age of just 30, and that was days after his birthday geniuses! ITTL, I hope he can finally overcome his addictions by getting into rehabilitation, he might get married again because I've heard his first marriage didn't last long, and he finally be with his older brothers for good. Now that we're in the 80's ITTL, I've heard that Michael Jackson got the inspiration for his album Thriller from the movie soundtrack of Saturday Night Fever, and that's why he's friends with the Gibb Brothers. To repeat on what I've said here weeks ago, if The Beatles would reunite, along with Elvis Presley, and the Bee Gees, would collaborate with Jackson for his album Thriller in 1982 ITTL, it would make it shall we say "The Best of the Best" in the history of music. The stars are perfectly aligned for this one genius, who wouldn't pass this one?

Lastly, since I've mentioned Olivia Newton-John here genius, would she will make the movie Xanadu, along with the great Gene Kelly and Michael Beck? The Movie Soundtrack with the Electric Light Orchestra were I would say another classic. While the movie wasn't a hit, it later became a cult classic IOTL. I hope ITTL, they've done a better script, let the choreography remain because they've done great, and I know it's been associated with the elements of Disco now that it's already over.
This suggestion of mine is for the Bee Gees and Andy Gibb in the 80's ITTL.

I just thought about The Blues Brothers with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd when it premiered in 1980. The all-star cast would've been better if we include Elvis Presley, Janis Joplin, Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Sammy Davis, Jr., Barry White, Chuck Berry, Johnny and June Carter Cash, Gene Kelly, Fred Astaire, Jerry Lee Lewis, Tina Turner, Dionne Warwick, Lionel Richie, Michael Jackson, Donna Summer, Frank Sinatra, and Diana Ross. If you geniuses like my idea, this would surely be one of the greatest movie musicals ever made and truly a love letter and tribute to their contribution to the music indeed!
This one is that I've suggested earlier for The Blues Brothers ITTL.

Pop Culture of 1980 is mostly I'm looking forward to, especially movies. Of course you've already mentioned The Empire Strikes Back, Superman II, and The Elephant Man. I'm sure there's going to be Raging Bull, Somewhere In Time, Ordinary People, Stir Crazy, The Blue Lagoon, American Gigolo, Cruising, Smokey and the Bandit II, Fame, Private Benjamin, Little Darlings, The Final Countdown, and Melvin and Howard. I'm hoping that Kate Bush and Irene Cara are both having their successful music careers as the 80's rolls in ITTL.
So where's Superman II, along with other movies here that I've mentioned here earlier? Would they have stayed the same as IOTL or different ITTL?

Just keep Johnny Carson as the host of The Academy Awards throughout the 80's ITTL, he really knows how to handle with his style of comedy indeed genius. Hoping for Carl Sagan to live longer ITTL to continue his show Cosmos, as well a being an advocate of astronomy and space travel. And finally, US President-Elect RFK as Time Magazine's Person of the Year is already the beginning of what was to come for his new administration soon on January 20th, 1981 ITTL. We're looking forward in the next chapter update on Kennedy-Bentsen 1980: Leadership for the Decade! It's Kennedy Time Again America!

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm glad Leslie Nielsen still did Airplane, though I will say I think it's likely he still ends up doing dramatic roles ITTL, just because compared to OTL his career is significantly more noteworthy. Remember, here he was in the movie that had an Oscar when attached to it.

The Flash Gordon movie sounds awesome. Hopefully the franchise can continue ITTL either in a trilogy or a television series 🤞
The 80s sounds like it could be the Golden Age of Science Fiction films

Interesting casting choices for Flash and Ming. Bruce Lee I can see, but Ar-nuld with his thick accent is a tougher sell IMO. Glad you kept Melody and Ornella in their roles. Out of curiosity did Brian Blessed, Timothy Dalton & Topol keep their respective parts?

@President_Lincoln

Can you please make the Tom Clancy novels more popular ITTL?
The Hunt for Red October comes out in 1984, and I have a soft spot for the Jack Ryan novels.
Jack Ryan has the potential to become the American James Bond with some better marketing.

Pop Culture Inquiries and More Movies from 1980
Mr. President, you've done yet another wonderful update on the Pop Culture of 1980 ITTL. Paul McCartney is still arrested in Japan for Marijuana Possession as IOTL, but with The Beatles on a tour ITTL. While the band would go on hiatus later in December 9th, they're now having a healthy relationship with each other with both the guidance of their band manager Brian Epstein and music producer George Martin. Now I wonder what are the album titles of The Beatles between 1970-1980 ITTL? I'm still looking forward for a huge collaboration of Michael Jackson's Thriller later in 1982 with The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and Bee Gees. Bon Scott surviving ITTL was a wonderful news with him going on a rehab to clean himself up and releasing AC/DC's Back in Black later in August would enter into the mainstream indeed and continue to lead the band throughout the decade and beyond ITTL. With Joy Division continues to the music industry as the decade dawned ITTL with their album Closer, I'm hoping for their best success. Led Zeppelin is finally refounded with Paul Rodgers as their new lead vocalist ITTL, now I'm wondering how and what would be their new track in the music industry as the 80's ITTL keeps rolling. Where's Kate Bush, Irene Cara, Pat Benatar, Earth Wind & Fire, Donna Summer, Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen; and Andy Gibb ITTL? Still no collaboration between Barry Gibb and Olivia Newton-John for "Guilty"; and between Elvis Presley and Queen for "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" ITTL? That's also I'm looking forward too as well if these music collaborations that I suggested would happen or not ITTL? Does Elton John got already in the rehab to clean himself up ITTL?

As always for the movies, The Empire Strikes Back (later known today as Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back) is already a standard of how a sequel could be just as IOTL. Still looking forward with Steven Spielberg as the director of Return of the Jedi (later known today as Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi) later in 1983 ITTL. 9 to 5 is already a comedy classic just as IOTL. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee was now a surprise for me and I already loving it with the direction of Martin Scorsese and produced by Marlon Brando. With the movie winning an Academy Award for Best Picture ITTL? Impressive genius! Who are the cast in this movie anyway? Friday the 13th is already a horror classic of the decade just as IOTL as well. Airplane! was now starring David Letterman and Shelly Long in their debut film together ITTL? I would gladly to pay this movie version than IOTL! While is still a comedy classic just as IOTL, it also gave a career renaissance for Leslie Nielsen in the field of comedy after this movie. Would we ever see Airplane II happened ITTL? Flash Gordon ITTL was now an interesting movie with Arnold Schwarzenegger as the titular hero and Bruce Lee as Ming the Merciless? I'm already loving this damn timeline too much! So Bruce Lee did nothing movies between 1973-1980 ITTL until this movie? So, let's just say this is his comeback movie? Good enough for me!

The Elephant Man is truly a hit with both critics and audiences indeed genius just as IOTL, now winning Best Director for David Lynch, Best Actor for John Hurt, and Best Adapted Screenplay at The Academy Awards ITTL. Popoye is also another 80's comedy classic just as IOTL with Robin Williams in his film debut as the titular sailor and Shelley Duvall as Olive Oly. Without her trauma on the set of The Shining IOTL, I'm assuming she's in a better situation ITTL and continue to have more movie projects, along with Williams as decade continues ITTL. Tristan and Isolde by Ridley Scott and starring Jeremy Irons (in his film debut) and Charlotte Rampling? I would pay to see this movie adaptation ITTL genius indeed. Along with Sean Connery, Vanessa Redgrave, and Judi Dench? I'm too impressed with this impressive cast! Caddyshack and Urban Cowboy were just as the same IOTL, and both of them were already a classic. Hoping for John Travolta and Al Pacino to have a successful movie career for this decade ITTL, they got what it takes when it comes to acting. The Blues Brothers is truly have a star-studded cast just as IOTL, but no mention of Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson as being part of the movie, along with others that I've suggested here earlier on what could be their roles in this movie? Hoping for John Landis to prevent the disaster on the set of The Twilight Zone: The Movie ITTL. Xanadu has now a different plot ITTL and still has the same cast? That's a new perspective for me geniuses.

This suggestion of mine is for the Bee Gees and Andy Gibb in the 80's ITTL.

This one is that I've suggested earlier for The Blues Brothers ITTL.

So where's Superman II, along with other movies here that I've mentioned here earlier? Would they have stayed the same as IOTL or different ITTL?

Just keep Johnny Carson as the host of The Academy Awards throughout the 80's ITTL, he really knows how to handle this show with his style of comedy indeed genius. Hoping for Carl Sagan to live longer ITTL to continue his show Cosmos, as well a being an advocate of astronomy and space travel. And finally, US President-Elect RFK as Time Magazine's Person of the Year is already the beginning of what was to come for his administration later in 1981 ITTL. We're looking forward in the next chapter update on Kennedy-Bentsen 1980: Leadership for the Decade! It's Kennedy Time Again America!
Thank you for the suggestions. :)

Don't worry. The other artists you mentioned will definitely be covered as the timeline continues. I will also go back and add some more of the other guest cameos in The Blues Brothers.
As for the other movies you mentioned...

Superman II - Superhero/action. Warner Bros. Directed by Richard Donner from a screenplay by Mario Puzo (of The Godfather fame). It is the second installment in the Superman film series and a sequel to Superman (1978). A direct continuation of the first film, Christopher Reeve reprises his role as Superman. The returning cast also includes Dustin Hoffman as Lex Luthor, Terence Stamp as General Zod, Ned Beatty as Luthor's oafish henchman Otis, Sarah Douglas as Ursa, Carrie Fisher as Lois Lane, Marc McClure as Jimmy Olson and Jack O'Halloran as Non.

The film's plot features the arrival of General Zod & his comrades on Earth, released from the prison of the Phantom Zone made by the people of Krypton. Zod seeks revenge by pursuing the planet's last son Kal-El, alias Superman. Kal-El, who unknowingly freed them, must now face the threats of his long dead home planet. Zod also aligns with the returning Lex Luthor who still desires world domination. Clark is also in conflict with his duties as Earth's hero and desire to live amongst them solely as Clark Kent, especially with his girlfriend, Lois Lane.

The film was released in Australia and mainland Europe on December 4, 1980, and in other countries throughout 1981. It received positive reviews from film critics who praised the performances of Reeve, Stamp, Fisher, and Hoffman, the visual effects, and the humor. It grossed $190 million against a production budget of $54 million, a box office success but less so than its predecessor. A sequel, Superman III, would released in June 1983, helmed by young director Robert Zemeckis.

Superman_II.jpg

Raging Bull - Biographical/Sports Drama. United Artists. Directed by Martin Scorsese and starring Robert De Niro, Joe Pesci, Cathy Moriarty, Nicholas Colasanto, Theresa Saldana and Frank Vincent. The film is an adaptation of former middleweight boxing champion Jake LaMotta's 1970 memoir Raging Bull: My Story. It follows the career of LaMotta, played by De Niro, his rise and fall in the boxing scene, and his turbulent personal life beset by rage and jealousy. The film went on to receive high critical praise but did not do well at the box office for United Artists, being considered a disappointment, it not quite a bomb.
Somewhere in Time - Romantic fantasy/drama film from Universal Pictures, directed by Jeannot Szwarc, and starring Peter Firth, Jane Seymour, and Christopher Plummer. It is a film adaptation of the novel Bid Time Return (1975) by Richard Matheson, who also wrote the screenplay. Firth plays Richard Collier, a playwright who becomes obsessed with a photograph of a young woman at the Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island, Michigan. Through self-hypnosis, he wishes himself back in time to the year 1912 to find love with actress Elise McKenna (portrayed by Seymour), but comes into conflict with Elise's manager, William Fawcett Robinson (portrayed by Plummer), who fears that romance will derail her career, and resolves to stop him. The film received mixed reviews from contemporary critics, but has been reevaluated somewhat.

Ordinary People - Drama. Paramount Pictures. Directed by Robert Redford in his feature directorial debut. The screenplay by Alvin Sargent is based on the 1976 novel of the same name by Judith Guest. The film follows the disintegration of a wealthy family in Lake Forest, Illinois, following the accidental death of one of their two sons and the attempted suicide of the other. It stars Gene Hackman as Calvin Jarrett, Natalie Wood as Beth Jarrett, Judd Hirsch, and Timothy Hutton.

The film was released theatrically on September 19, 1980, by Paramount Pictures to critical and commercial success. Reviewers praised Redford's direction, Sargent's screenplay, and the performances of the cast. The film, which grossed $90 million on a $6.2 million budget, was chosen by the National Board of Review as one of the top ten films of 1980, and garnered six nominations at the 53rd Academy Awards,

Stir Crazy - Comedy. Columbia Pictures. Directed by Sidney Poitier, written by Bruce Jay Friedman, produced by Hannah Weinstein, and starring Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor as two unemployed friends who are given 125-year prison sentences after getting framed for a bank robbery. While in prison they befriend other prison inmates. Largely the same film as OTL, it was released to mixed to poor reviews, but tremendous commercial success, grossing over $100 million. With his performance in this film, Pryor became the first black actor to make over $1 million for a single film appearance.

Smokey and the Bandit II - Never made ITTL.

The Blue Lagoon - Coming-of-age/romance/survival. Directed by Randal Kleiser from a screenplay written by Douglas Day Stewart based on the 1908 novel of the same name by Henry De Vere Stacpoole. Starring child stars Christopher Atkins and Diane Lane, the film was panned by critics, but succeeded at the box office, raking in $58 million on a budget of just $4.5 million. Brooke Shields, who had auditioned for the part of Emmeline Lestrange, but lost out to Lane, later admitted in interviews that she was "somewhat relieved, in retrospect" that she missed out on the part.

American Gigilo - Neo-noir/crime drama. Paramount Pictures. Written and directed by Paul Schrader. Starring John Travolta and Laura Hutton. It tells the story of a high-priced escort in Los Angeles (Travolta) who becomes romantically involved with a prominent politician's wife (Hutton), while simultaneously becoming the prime suspect in a murder case. The film was one of the first mainstream Hollywood films to include frontal male nudity from its main star, which Travolta supposedly only agreed to do if he maintained creative control over the scene in which it occurred. It is also notable for its Golden Globe Award–nominated musical score, composed by Giorgio Moroder, and number-one single "Call Me" by Blondie. The film did well for Paramount ($55 million on a $5 million budget) and was quite well-received by critics.

Cruising - Crime thriller. United Artists. Written and directed by William Friedkin based on the novel of the same name by New York Times reporter Gerald Walker about a serial killer targeting gay men, and starring Richard Gere and Jon Voight. The film here is radically different from the one we got IOTL. First, it remains much more faithful to the source material. Second, it removes the "Leather club" element, which alienated many LGBT+ people from the film IOTL.

The film is about an undercover policeman, John Lynch (Gere), looking for a homosexual serial killer, Stewart Richards (Voight), in the gay subculture of New York City. The murder victims were closeted or relatively open (as open as they could be at the time) men who came across the killer while cruising for sex. While undercover, the policeman develops feelings for his gay neighbor. Cruising explores the main character's identity as an undercover officer and the internal struggle he then faces by entering the subculture of the gay community as a key point of the plot. Like the novel's, the film's plot displays the varying attitudes toward the emerging gay community, and though the AIDS epidemic was still a few years in the future, almost served as a subconscious "warning" of things to come.

The film was very polarizing upon its release. The performances and script were highly praised (especially Gere, whom the film helped make a star), as were Friedkin's direction. But the subject matter was seen as quite controversial. So-called "family rights" groups (socially conservative, evangelical Christians, and others) denounced the film, and held protests near the set all throughout its production and subsequent release. On the other hand, the LGBT+ community praised the film for its "realistic" portrayal of the lives of gay people and for shining a light on some of the issues they face.

The film earned $20 million on a budget of $8 million; not a great success. But it left a legacy as an early (still problematic in some ways, but mostly positive) representation of queer people in film.

Fame - Largely the same film as OTL.

Private Benjamin - Largely the same film as OTL; helped launch Goldie Hawn to stardom.

Private_benjamon.jpg

Little Darlings - Largely the same film as OTL.

The Final Countdown - Largely the same film as OTL.

Melvin and Howard - Very underrated film in my opinion. :) Largely the same film as OTL.

Talented and numerous times considered for the Sec State position. But his personality, to my knowledge (not sure if I'm right or not), is said to be off-putting to many people, so he only made the shortlist. I'm also curious if he's been mentioned in the TL.
The former Senator from Arkansas is currently 75 years old and practicing international law at his firm in Washington, D.C. He could make a fine pick for SecState, but his age and status as being retired (as well as his... less than stellar record on civil rights) likely preclude him from a cabinet spot under RFK.

The Flash Gordon movie sounds awesome. Hopefully the franchise can continue ITTL either in a trilogy or a television series 🤞
The 80s sounds like it could be the Golden Age of Science Fiction films
Thank you! :)

Interesting casting choices for Flash and Ming. Bruce Lee I can see, but Ar-nuld with his thick accent is a tougher sell IMO. Glad you kept Melody and Ornella in their roles. Out of curiosity did Brian Blessed, Timothy Dalton & Topol keep their respective parts?
Fair critique! I do think Arnold got better as his career advanced too. Yes they do all keep their respective parts here.

@President_Lincoln

Can you please make the Tom Clancy novels more popular ITTL?
The Hunt for Red October comes out in 1984, and I have a soft spot for the Jack Ryan novels.
Jack Ryan has the potential to become the American James Bond with some better marketing.
I like the sound of that. :) Given the series' success even IOTL, I could see Ryan's status being somewhat elevated here. I know Reagan was a big fan of Red October IOTL. Maybe a future Republican president can fill that role after Kennedy's term(s?) are up here.

Last edited:
My thoughts on the latest update:
--1) At the very least, TTL's Superman II doesn't have the amnesia kiss. Also, Zemeckis directing Supes 3? Sign me up!
--2) Question about TTL's Cruising: Lips or hips?

Superman II - Superhero/Action. Warner Bros. Directed by Steven Spielberg, Screenplay by Mario Puzo (The author of The Godfather), David Newman, Leslie Newman, and Robert Benton; Music Composed by John Williams. It is the second installment in The Superman Trilogy and a sequel to Superman: The Movie (1978). A direct continuation of the first film, Christopher Reeve reprises his role as Superman. The returning cast also includes Gene Hackman as Lex Luthor, Marlon Brando as Jor-El, Valerie Perrine as Eve Teschmacher, Terence Stamp as General Zod, Ned Beatty as Luthor's Henchman Otis, Sarah Douglas as Ursa, Carrie Fisher as Lois Lane, Jackie Cooper as Perry White, Marc McClure as Jimmy Olson, and Jack O'Halloran as Non.
This is what would I prefer from what you've originally written in the previous chapter Mr. President. Spielberg ITTL filmed this back-to-back from Superman: The Movie (1978). With the Salkinds putting their trust on him as the director ITTL, they wouldn't need to interfere with his creative control of the movie. Forgive me for my opinion.

Last edited:
This is what would I prefer from what you've originally written in the previous chapter Mr. President. Spielberg ITTL filmed this back-to-back from Superman: The Movie (1978). With the Salkinds putting their trust on him as the director ITTL, they wouldn't need to interfere with his creative control of the movie. Forgive me for my opinion.
I hear you. But Spielberg is going to be busy ITTL working on other projects and thus, unable to complete the second Superman film. Also, Hoffman starred as Luthor in the first film and returns here.

I hear you. But Spielberg is going to be busy ITTL working on other projects and thus, unable to complete the Superman II. Also, Hoffman starred as Lex Luthor in the first film and returns here.
Your Excellency, we geniuses here knew already the rift or differences between Richard Donner and the Salkinds while they're making Superman: The Movie (1978) IOTL. With Steven Spielberg filming Superman: The Movie and Superman II back-to-back ITTL, the Salkinds wouldn't even try to interfere on his full creative control with one of the greatest directors of all time. We can't forget geniuses that Spielberg premiered his films Jurassic Park and Schindler's List on the same year, 1993 IOTL. Being the busiest director really earns the respect of the entertainment industry. Finally, Dustin Hoffman is very far-fetched to play as Lex Luther. Gene Hackman really perfectly portrays his role as Luther just as IOTL for me.

Your Excellency, we geniuses here knew already the rift or differences between Richard Donner and the Salkinds while they're making Superman: The Movie (1978) IOTL. With Steven Spielberg filming Superman: The Movie and Superman II back-to-back ITTL, the Salkinds wouldn't even try to interfere on his full creative control with one of the greatest directors of all time. We can't forget geniuses that Spielberg premiered his films Jurassic Park and Schindler's List on the same year, 1993 IOTL. Being the busiest director really earns the respect of the entertainment industry. Finally, Dustin Hoffman is very far-fetched to play as Lex Luther. Gene Hackman really perfectly portrays his role as Luther just as IOTL for me.
While you make a good point we must remember that 1993 and 1980 Spielberg was at different points in his career he's still very young. He may not know yet how to balance making two films. Just a thought

While you make a good point we must remember that 1993 and 1980, Spielberg was at different points in his career he's still very young. He may not know yet how to balance making two films. Just a thought.
Let's just say genius, that this is his first time on knowing how to balance it back-to-back ITTL.

Y'know, I am not someone to call for a rehabilitation of those that were really abhorrent people in their words and actions, but I wouldn't mind seeing a world where Rush Limbaugh is nothing more than a baseball marketing guy with not a lot of name recognition. Or, if he goes to sports media, is just limited to play calling
You and me both
Agreed. I feel like that could make for a fittingly hopeful/optimistic Blue Skies path for him. :p
Him as a sports announcer would work for me.
Not just for him but for every one of them. Partisan newscasters IOTL I'm hoping can have a much more productive type of employment ITTL if that's even possible
Yeah I agree, he should stay away from politics.

February 19th - Bon Scott, lead singer of AC/DC, narrowly avoids death by acute alcohol poisoning following a bout of binge drinking in London. Scott would eventually recover, enter rehab for what he was now able to recognize as a drinking problem, and work with the band to release his “comeback” album, Back in Black in August. The album, powered by the Scott-penned single, “You Shook Me All Night Long” will finally break AC/DC into the mainstream. It will eventually become the highest-selling rock studio album of all time.
jvpVioRm-oaVPIpUp4NsyBNEL9cBe3saxbQR92dAJrh-XBvN1zqIvyAcT0bW9j8R593ED0_5CAeCIDb7GFZusr5eOUPEfiHEdwtJeCB-L3jXuqcshTDmj2Yllbrm09q4tFsMgwN8Bx4eswYkKyqV3Rv0ZlH2ctLjzeXP2NwtB5a0_GEqMSIExG8DYs05oA
hR3UGIf4XAqA9S0nvjJ4_Y-tO4i3MBh5boctSKXtDkiR-ZleVgXUHAhV47PbGFIfsTlR58LHu66jvE7pVF263O5TGIqlPbP-0i2ALRstmOprcEG86T8IBlss4Axfp9liggBWaf9Zzb3ZffeS9-zw1JhWmrp8wYPWnkQteJ-w2xoECSq7ADfyY7I6oqdXHg
April 17th - As the "official guests of State", Bob Marley and the Wailers perform at Zimbabwe-Rhodesia's annual Independence festival. Marley calls the event the "greatest honor of my life."
Great!

May 18th - English post-punk band Joy Division begin their first tour of the United States. Made to promote their second album Closer, the tour became a major success after “Love Will Tear Us Apart”, the lead single, became a huge, unexpected smash hit. The band’s driving rhythms and melodic bass lines will have a major impact on rock in the decade to come.
4FP_3B8GJDxgIgsMwTDaoiNqRY24dZKusEopbepZrF2t2QoD8iV-0m_5PsqOMC1DtCm810jXv8oedVeEmqvJdDUdYQ02atJXHzlCOVD7gocQjZJyInV-pHQDJuMQEGVGkK64TQF1wwWv4cC5v4Q1VB7A5zu6vsoYyxyqDfMQi3TPpFa-hI7h3Wp708V69A
Oh cool! It’s good to see that Joy Division managed to go to America in 1980. Hopefully Ian Curtis will live for longer ITTL.

December 9th - The Beatles officially disband. They will continue to partner together on solo projects and business ventures, though they insist that they all “need a break”.
I KNEW IT! Thank you for using December 1980 as the break-up date for the Beatles ITTL. I wonder what Lennon’s assassin is doing.

1980 in Film - The Year’s Biggest
The Empire Strikes Back - Epic space opera. 20th Century Fox. Directed by Irvin Kershner from a screenplay by Leigh Brackett and Lawrence Kasdan, based on a story by George Lucas. Already covered in the previous update, but suffice it to say here, Empire was, like its predecessor, a tremendous success. The highest grossing film of the year by far, The Empire Strikes Back carried the franchise forward in just about every conceivable way. The ever-growing fandom’s only complaint was having to wait once more for the next film to see how Lucas and his team would cap off the trilogy.

9 to 5 - Comedy. Directed by Colin Higgins, who also wrote the screenplay with Patricia Resnick. Starring Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, and Dolly Parton (who performed the movie’s beloved theme) as three working women who live out their fantasies of getting even with and overthrowing the company’s autocratic, “sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot” boss, played by Dabney Coleman. The film was a major success for 20th Century Fox, scoring more than $100 Million box office gross on a budget of just $10 Million.

giF6wNX4v2jaXep6E3lSYnQk7CbTbdgu8RSANzhzJGtrSZ4z0Op4IZRXuELs3cg0lcZUCgUWm8YH1DzXMxnbD3sl6TGVO2hXJ0Q9yi-bBTUkqVE5zxINODUTy8nMTcX9hYWn4So3Mhu5WBrxx7vxV54STzBD0RA4vdISC_2sI_jR6OdQx6vcmalryNItgw
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee - Historical Epic. Warner Bros. Directed by Martin Scorsese and produced by Marlon Brando. Based on the last two chapters of the historical non-fiction book by American writer Dee Brown, the film focuses on the narrative of the Lakota tribes of First Americans, in particular the events surrounding the titular battle and the death of Sitting Bull, played by actor and activist Russell Means. The film also briefly touches on other parts of the book, including the historical narrative-making by White Americans to justify “manifest destiny” and the slaughter and genocide of First Americans, beginning with King Phillip’s War in the late 17th century. A passion project for Marlon Brando (who starred in the film in a minor role as President Benjamin Harrison) himself quite concerned with Native issues, Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee was also funded (in part) by grants from the Udall Administration’s project for First American art. In order to qualify for the grant, and wanting as many Native voices involved as possible, First Americans were involved with every aspect of the film’s production. Though by no means perfect, the film did go a long way toward countering traditional, stereotypical depictions of First Americans in Hollywood. It also introduced mistreatment of Natives more widely to a (largely) White audience for the very first time. Though not a great financial success, the film was critically-acclaimed and was nominated for, and would win, many Academy Awards.

Friday the 13th - Independent Slasher/Horror. Produced and directed by Sean Cunningham, written by Victor Miller, and starring Betsey Palmer, Adrienne King, and numerous other then-unknown actors, including future megastar Kevin Bacon. Its plot follows a group of teenage camp counselors who are murdered one by one by an unknown killer while they are attempting to re-open an abandoned summer camp with a tragic past. Prompted by the success of John Carpenter's Halloween (1978), director Cunningham put out an advertisement to sell the film in Variety in early 1979, while Miller was still drafting the screenplay. After casting the film in New York City, filming took place in New Jersey in the summer of 1979, on an estimated budget of $550,000. A bidding war ensued over the finished film, ending with Paramount Pictures acquiring the film for domestic distribution, while Warner Bros. secured international distribution rights. Released on May 9th, 1980, Friday the 13th was a major box office success, grossing $59.8 million worldwide. Critical response was mixed. Some praised the film's cinematography and score, while others derided it for its depiction of graphic violence. Aside from being the first independent film of its kind to secure distribution in the U.S. by a major studio, its box office success led to a long series of sequels.

RocTKWdgCTsudpf9FTbtxM_GJZg1w-UyI8KKM0srsOgMpMBv34v1NZMEw0t2jqxau5I6DwFQcmy1Q3AOW87mMNffMkkaDLzo-Dy4zgc1wXCu7lS8agwgcMJQ8BIVC1XJdCP89J8QBCsn_bMtAR5hWF5eFTBq4LSFBEFHc4oegtC8HVrkitiZ3fvjZAKlSg
Airplane! - Comedy. Paramount Pictures. Written and directed by the brothers David and Jerry Zucker and Jim Abrahams in their directorial debuts. Starring David Letterman and Shelley Long as Ted Striker and Elaine Dickinson, the film also featured usually-dramatic actors Robert Stack, Leslie Nielsen, Peter Graves, and Lloyd Bridges. This casting was one of the key ingredients in the film’s eventual success, critics alleged. Besides Letterman and Long, all of these (particularly) Nielsen were hitherto known for their serious roles. Nielsen shined as Dr. Rumack, a part which would lead to a career renaissance in comedy for him. The film received near universal acclaim from critics, and soared to nearly $172 million in box office gross on a budget of just $3.5 million.

Flash Gordon - Famous Films/Universal Pictures. Space opera/Superhero. Directed by Nicolas Roeg and written by Michael Allin (who achieved fame for penning the screenplay for Enter the Dragon). Producer Dino De Laurenitis had held the rights to a film adaptation of Flash since the 1960s. After George Lucas failed to secure the rights the following decade (leading to the creation of Star Wars), De Laurentiis next approached Nicolas Roeg, who agreed to take the project on. A major fan of the original comic strips, Roeg was thrilled to be given the chance to helm the film. Ironically, it was the success of Star Wars that gave Universal confidence to finance Flash Gordon. Roeg hired Allin to pen the screenplay, which in turn attracted Hong Kong-native superstar Bruce Lee to the project. Lee would eventually be cast as Ming the Merciless, the film’s conniving sorcerer-villain. He would be opposed by Arnold Schwarzenegger as Flash, beating out Kurt Russell and Sam J. Jones for the part. Melody Anderson and Ornella Muti also star as Dale Arden and Princess Aura respectively. The English rock band Queen was hired to write and perform the film’s soundtrack, including its now-iconic theme. Just after its release on December 5th, 1980, Flash Gordon was considered something of a flop. Though it made approximately $47 million at the box office on a budget of $25 million, this was much smaller of a profit than Universal had hoped for, especially in light of The Empire Strikes Back’s megaprofits earlier in the year. Critical reception was better, with the film eventually garnering a major cult following. As Roger Ebert wrote at the time, “Flash Gordon cannot escape the inevitable comparisons to Star Wars. But these are largely unfair. Whereas Star Wars delves into Jungian psychology and mythological connections, Flash Gordon is a fun, lighthearted film that stays close to its comic book roots. Both have their place in our cinemas.”

1704757298394.png
_5VCmW_NNs63QsZ7a2rQJusqQGZJ7yWKmmrd7dORpY_FHW24q1y_gX-PIICYgD19vjdMOW7Rj7pE8y9BUxodK8hr2AufrFnG--fwyEGTuNln_wIP0oubpD0sEmPoz403KHcPqYeWmRaKXoklKNGyY-HrKmyKtp6bPPfargFU2u5v0YoWo9XWj9vJOMvIrA

Above: Arnold Schwarzenegger as Flash Gordon (left); Bruce Lee as Ming the Merciless (right).​
The Elephant Man - Brooksfilms/Paramount Pictures. Biographical drama about Joseph Merrick, a severely-deformed man living in 19th-century London. Directed by David Lynch, produced by Mel Brooks (who was uncredited, as he did not want the film to be viewed as a comedy), and Jonathan Sanger. The film stars John Hurt as the titular Merrick, and Anthony Hopkins as Merrick’s friend, Dr. Frederick Treves. The film was critically acclaimed, earned $26 million on a budget of $5 million, and launched Lynch into the cinematic mainstream. As previously discussed, it was Lynch’s work on The Elephant Man that earned him the director’s chair on The Shining the following year.

Popeye - Comedy. Directed by Robert Altman and produced in partnership by Paramount Pictures and Walt Disney Productions. Based on E.C. Segar’s Popeye comics character, the script was written by Jules Feiffer and stars Robin Williams as Popeye the Sailor Man and Shelley Duvall (in a part that critics lauded she was “born to play”) as Olive Oyl. Despite initially mixed reviews, Williams and Duvall’s performances (in particular, Williams’ cartoonish ability to ad-lib) would eventually lead to critical reevaluations of the film. Making $60 million on a budget of $20 million, Popeye would help continue the trend of comic book adaptations in the years that followed.

The Return of the King - Animated fantasy epic. United Artists. Directed by Ralph Bakshi from a screenplay by Chris Conkling and Peter S. Beagle. Based on the novel of the same name by J.R.R. Tolkien, Return of the King acts as a sequel to Bakshi’s 1978 film The Lord of the Rings (itself an adaptation of The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers). The cast and crew from the original film returned for the sequel, which, like its predecessor earned a modest profit at the box office and mixed reviews. Despite Bakshi’s best efforts, his adaptations of Tolkien’s work are considered, even today, to be “inspired but underwhelming”. Though fans were largely disappointed, they did help to introduce a wider audience to Tolkien’s work and fantasy literature in general. They also served as an inspiration to the eventual live-action adaptations of The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings which followed some twenty years later.

Tristan and Isolde - Medieval romance. Paramount Pictures. Directed by Ridley Scott. Based on the legend of the same name, Tristan and Isolde is a tragedy about the illicit love between the Cornish knight Tristan (Jeremy Irons) and the Irish princess Isolde (Charlotte Rampling). It depicts Tristan's mission to escort Isolde from Ireland to marry his uncle, King Mark of Cornwall (Sean Connery). On the journey, Tristan and Isolde ingest a love potion, magically crafted by Isolde’s mother (Vanessa Redgrave) and guarded by Brangaine (Judi Dench), Isolde’s handmaid, instigating a forbidden love affair between them. Coming off of the critical and commercial success of Alien, Scott wanted to change genres completely. Tristan and Isolde achieved that. Though only about breaking even at the box office, it was well-received by critics, who praised the chemistry between the leads and Irons’ performance in particular in his first major starring role. The film also sparked renewed interest in Arthurian legends, particularly in the UK. Paramount Pictures would green light subsequent projects based on Arthurian legends, including John Boorman’s King Arthur, which would come into production late in 1980 and be released the following year. In time, a loose “cinematic universe” based around the legends would be born.

The 53rd Academy Awards - March 30th, 1981 - Hosted by Johnny Carson
HItCsIbcz1SOnF3l-xKcpiuNltfCFh46EcCh_4MSVOEId4bdx7lDuj9Kp0CPO4f6A0Nog1FCvMb0YSw81hrNJNMDzKBMJrqaHH2inhdzX2qhjcvoSxRUjZqnjUTzoxVlhmh4O4FQYNHqgYwhhQIb5GdKw_GXHdAo7TS2J0Et29ALaW7b_qzTdL3m3bskEg
Best Picture: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee; Produced by Marlon Brando
Best Director: David Lynch for The Elephant Man
Best Actor: John Hurt for Joseph Merrick in The Elephant Man
Best Actress: Sissy Spacek for Loretta Lynn in Coal Miner’s Daughter
Best Supporting Actor: Joe Pesci for Joey LaMotta in Raging Bull
Best Supporting Actress: Eileen Brennan as Doreen Lewis in Private Benjamin
Best Original Screenplay: Bo Goldman for Melvin and Howard
Best Adapted Screenplay: The Elephant Man - Christopher De Vore, Eric Bergren and David Lynch based on the book The Elephant Man and Other Reminiscences by Sir Frederick Treves

Other Films of Note
Caddyshack - Sports comedy. Orion Pictures/Warner Bros. Directed by Harold Ramis, written by Brian Doyle-Murray, Ramis and Douglas Kenney, and starring Chevy Chase, Rodney Dangerfield, Ted Knight, Michael O'Keefe and Bill Murray with supporting roles by Sarah Holcomb, Cindy Morgan, and Doyle-Murray. It tells the story of a caddie, vying for a scholarship, who becomes involved in a feud on the links between one of the country club's founders and a nouveau riche guest. A subplot involves a greenskeeper who uses extreme methods against an elusive gopher. Often considered the “funniest sports film ever made”, the film boosted the profiles of Ramis, Murray, and especially Rodney Dangerfield, who to that time had mostly been known for his one-liners and stand up comedy.

The Blues Brothers - Musical comedy. Universal Pictures. Directed by John Landis. It stars John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues and Dan Aykroyd as his brother Elwood, characters developed from the recurring musical sketch "The Blues Brothers" on Saturday Night Live. The script is set in and around the Chicago area where it was filmed, and the screenplay is by Aykroyd and Landis. The film featured cameos and even full musical numbers from a number of R&B, blues, and soul legends, including: James Brown; Cab Calloway (in his final feature film role); Aretha Franklin; Ray Charles; Chaka Khan, and John Lee Hooker, among others.

Xanadu - Musical fantasy. Universal Pictures. Written by Richard Christian Danus and Marc Reid Rubel and directed by Robert Greenwald, the film stars Oliva Newton-John, Michael Beck, and Gene Kelly in his final film role. Featuring music from Newton-John, Electric Light Orchestra, and others, the title is a reference to a nightclub, which takes its name in turn from the summer capital of Kublai Khan’s Yuan Dynasty in China. Despite bombing at the box office, and garnering negative critical reviews at the time, a song from the film - “Magic” - did become a major hit for Newton-John. In later years, the film would undergo something of a re-evaluation and become a polarizing cult classic.

Urban Cowboy - Romantic western. Paramount Pictures. Directed by James Bridges. The plot of the film concerns the love-hate relationship between “Bud” Davis (John Travolta) and Sissy (Debra Winger). An unexpected hit, the film is largely credited for spurring a mainstream revival in the popularity of country music.
Awesome!