El Caudillo Andrés Novales: An Alternate History Scenario (Take 2)

Yup, I've started an all-new alternate Philippines scenario, this time about a successful Novales Revolt of 1823 and its impact on the Philippines, its government and the society.

While some of you will notice that this scenario will be related to the long-running Philippine timeline (Filipinas: La Gloriosa y Más Allá, both the regular and full version), I admit that while some elements will be similar to my long-running scenario, I'll assure you that this scenario will be more or different from Filipinas: La Gloriosa y Más Allá, most specifically in Visayas and Mindanao.

Oh, by the way, I dedicate this TL to those who wrote other scenarios related to this episode in Philippine history.
This was the opening words of my second timeline, also Philippine-centric, when I've started posting last 30th of November, Monday, a very important holiday here in the Philippines (Bonifacio Day).

Originally intended to have back stories that could explain some events, the first version received a backlash when someone commented against having such backstories. So, I've decided to stick to the 1823 PoD and relegate the backstories to my other Philippine-centric timeline.

I hope that this version of my second timeline will be satisfy more readers than the previous version.

While Spain was reeling from the loss of its American colonies and trying to recover from the devastation bought from the renewed conflict between the liberals and conservatives years after the Napoleonic wars has ended and Ferdinand V was restored as King of Spain, a mestizo was destined to changed the fate of then economically important but culturally backwater Spanish colony in the southeastern part of Asia called the Philippines.

His name was Andrés Novales, a 23-year-old captain of Spanish Army who personally experienced injustices both within and outside the military, he lead an army of combined forces of native Filipino soldiers and defected Spanish soldiers, almost half of whom were fellow mestizos like him, stormed the gates of Intramuros and proclaimed the independence of the Philippines on his birthday, the 12th of June, year 1823. Modern-day historians has agreed that his elder brother Mariano Novales was convinced by his younger brother to betray the former's superiors by explicitly telling Mariano not let his squadron shot on rebels and let the gates of the Intramuros open; this was confirmed by the first Captain General of the Philippine Army in his autobiography.

This is the story of the man who fought for freedom and liberty of the Philippines, while at the same time struggled to maintain his sanity and relevance against elements that he thought as hostile to his plan of an independent Philippines.

PROLOGUE

Andrés Novales was a captain of the Spanish Army who was born in Manila on the 12th of June, 1800. Hailed from a mestizo background, he became a cadet at the age of nine and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant five years later. In the midst of Napoleonic wars, he sought his superiors' consent to sent him to mainland Spain to fought alongside his colleagues in the Spanish Army. His dedication to the military was evident despite his demotion to an ordinary soldier once he was finally allowed by his superior to go to Madrid; he returned to the Philippines as a captain. However, his background was the subject of discrimination and other forms of injustice that he and other mestizos had suffered from their peninsular superiors and colleagues.

While he was in exile in the Mindanao fighting the pirates, the younger Novales concocted a plan that would surprise the colonial authorities in Intramuros, the center of Spanish colonial power in Asia; the said plan included the storming of the gates of the Walled City, in which include the famed citadel Fort Santiago, kill the two men who perpetrated the ongoing discrimination against the mestizo public officials and military personnel: Governor-General Juan Antonio Martínez and his deputy/predecessor Mariano Fernández de Folgueras, and proclaim the independence of the whole Philippine archipelago from the Spanish yoke. It was indeed evident that intellectuals such as Count Luis Rodríguez Varela, also an exile, participated in concocting the plan of the young mestizo captain of the Spanish Army.

Two and a half weeks before the actual revolt, Andrés secretly returned to Manila using a forged identity (Salvador Pastrana de Asis), he immediately went to his elder brother Mariano in order to convince the latter to join him in his fight against colonial tyranny. Because of his loyalty to Spain, the elder Novales was at first hesitant to accept his younger brother's offer; he suddenly changed his mind when Andrés promised his elder brother that he would become the Captain General of his army once his revolt was successful. In fact, the elder Novales has suggested that he would tell the troops that stationed in Fort Santiago not to shoot the rebels and let the gates of the citadel open, and he indeed later secretly told the Fort Santiago troops on the night of the 25th of May 1823, exactly a week before the planned rebellion. The explanation, Mariano Novales has explicitly told his soldiers, was "additional supplies" from Spain would be arrived directly at Fort Santiago, and added that the soldiers should be careful when they've been asked by their superiors, especially the peninsulares.

Simultaneously, Novales' sergeants across the country has recruited 800 men as soldiers, most of them native Filipinos; they were trained in both conventional and guerrilla training, as explicitly instructed by the Captain to his sergeants before they've start recruiting; his reason was that the rebellion could be spread across the country from Manila once the colonial government was overthrown and replaced by a Junta Provisional led by Novales.

A few days later, Count Luis Rodríguez Varela and other prominent
mestizo personalities secretly returned to Manila using a ship hired on the orders of Novales himself; they've pretended that they would bring the exiles to the city of Iloilo in the town of Panay. Upon their arrival in the capital on the night of the 28th of May, they were greeted by Novales and some of his sergeants.​

The Takeover of Intramuros

2_472.jpg

The walled city of Intramuros, built in the 1570s, was the center of Spanish colonial power in Asia, most especially in the Philippine archipelago and the islands on the east, the Marianas and Caroline islands. Once a great power under the guidance of the first two Hapsburg monarchs (Charles I[1] and Philip II), Spain was slowly descending into a relative oblivion as a colonial power, and its relative weakness was evident during the Napoleonic wars: the American colonies took advantage of the then-ongoing situation in the mainland and, despite the ratification of the first Spanish Constitution in the Andalusian port city of Cádiz in 1812, the post-war restoration of Ferdinand VII as King provoked the independence movements across Spanish America. One by one, after losses of lives on both sides and damages to properties, the former colonies declares themselves independent from Spain. The events that happened in Spanish America inspired Spanish Army captain Andrés Novales to do the same in the Philippines, and with the help of his fellow mestizos, both civilians and military, he know that his plan would succeed.

Thus he began his revolt on capturing Intramuros, the nerve center of the Spanish East Indies.

On the evening of the 1st of June 1823, Novales, accompanied by sublieutenant Ambrosio Ruiz Tetangco[2], other members of King's Regiment and eight-hundred native Filipino soldiers recruited and trained by Novales' sergeants across the country, stormed the walls of Intramuros and captured some of the important buildings in the Walled City, in which include the Palacio del Gobernador, the Cabildo[3] and the Manila Cathedral; the soldiers who served as sentinels were either voluntarily surrendered or killed in gunfight encounters with rebel troops. As planned, Mariano Novales kept the gates of Fort Santiago[4] open so that the troops of his younger brother would easily take over the citadel of Intramuros. Immediately, after Capt. Andrés Novales and his troops entered Fort Santiago, the elder Novales handled the key to his younger brother and kneel before him; the soldiers who stationed in the citadel followed Mariano's gesture, symbolizing the fact that they've switched their loyalty to the younger Novales.

However, the captain was enraged when he learned that the current Governor-General Juan Antonio Martínez has already fled to the city of San Fernando in Pampanga and in his place was his deputy and predecessor Mariano Fernández de Folgueras; Andrés has a special hatred for the Galician-born military administrator and former Governor-General (1806-10; 1816-22) because of the fact that the latter once suggested that the mestizo officers in the Spanish military should be replaced by the peninsulares, and the captain clearly remembered how he was discriminated because of his lineage, so on the same evening, Andrés Novales killed Fernández de Folgueras by firing a shot on his head while the rebel soldiers were looking.

Throughout the wee hours of the 2nd of June, some of the rebel soldiers spread out across the Walled City of Intramuros as sentinels as Capt. Novales and rest of his troops were preparing for a march to the recently-captured Palacio del Gobernador and preparing a speech before the people of Intramuros. Unsurprisingly, the recently-awaken townsfolk of Intramuros were surprised when they saw hundred of soldiers patrolling the streets of their city, nonetheless the residents followed Novales' army to Palacio del Gobernador because they were curious who was this captain whose army of soldiers was able to takeover the Walled City with little difficulty.

And the struggle to freedom and independence for the Philippines as envisioned by Andrés Novales has begun.

NOTES:
[1] Charles V, the Holy Roman Emperor.
[2] In OTL, he was just identified as Ruiz.
[3] City Hall or Council.
[4] That's the exact POD.

I'm sorry for being so nitpicky. :(:(:(

Anyway, I'm still interested in what you have planned. I apologize again. And good luck!

guinazacity

Banned
I didn't mind the backstory at all, but well, i'm still reading that.

Bring the colonialists to their knees!

I don't really mind adding some backstories, honestly. The problem is when someone will react upon posting, saying things like ignoring butterflies etc.

The is why you are here. Think of everyone posting as your editor and here to help rather than a hindrance.

The Speech in the Governor's Palace

palacio-del-gobernador.jpg

From the balcony of once been known as the official residence of the Governor-General of the Philippines, Spanish Army captain Andrés Novales faced a multitude of people as he prepared to give a speech in which he would gave justice to the revolt that took the walled city of Intramuros between the evening of the 1st of June and the early hours of that day, the 2nd of June. Witnesses, both military and from the crowd itself, said that Novales was confident enough to face numerous Manileños who were either curious or intrigued to this mestizo Army captain who lead a successful rebellion against the colonial authorities and captured the whole Intramuros, and soon the rest of the country, or so it seems.

In clear and loud voice, Novales has indeed given his speech justifying his rebellion, explaining the different reasons that lead unto it. Logically, he delivered his speech in Spanish, his native tongue.

"Two centuries and fifty-two years ago, the Spaniards established this place as the center of their new colony in this part of the world. At that time, what we called our Madre Patria was a force both to be reckoned and feared at the same time. Now, the Madre Patria is now just a shadow of what she was in the past, having lost its children because they felt it was the time to break free and control their own lives."

The crowd was enthralled and intrigued at the same time; Yes, this young military officer led a coup d'etat that overtaken Intramuros, but how he could deliver such speech, they claimed. If they knew at the time that Count Luis Rodríguez Varela, who was a well-known statesman, helped Novales on writing and preparing on his speech that the latter pronounced that morning.

"....Here in Manila and every part of the Islands, prejudice and injustice are everywhere despite the claim that everyone of us are equal under the eyes of the Almighty God; the natives and mestizos like me are treated like a poor beggar because of our skin color and different appearance from the peninsulares who think that they were the only Begotten People send by the Almighty God to this forsaken land. We strived hard to be recognized through merits, hoping that the Colonial Government will recognize our achievements in vain. Instead, the authorities, with the help of the friars, perpetuated this injustice until our patience are cut short abruptly....."

The reaction of the crowd was unexpected; every word uttered by Novales regarding discrimination resonated with every Manileño who listened his speech on the morning of the 2nd of June, and for a reason: most Manileños, both within and outside the Walled City of Intramuros, were either natives or mestizos, both Chinese and Spanish, and they've experienced discrimination from the colonial authorities, most of whom were peninsulares from Spain, every single day. And it didn't help that the highest Church hierarchy were friars from mainland Spain and relatively aloof to the sufferings of the common people. Sure, there were notable exceptions, but the majority of the friars connived with the Colonial Government.

"....On behalf of my fellow soldiers, I strongly believe that the purpose of our rebellion is to justice to most of the Island's population and give everyone of us the opportunity to enjoy genuine equality under the rule of law and through the eyes of Almighty One above. This Islands called the Philippines will now join the league of free nations like his brethren in the Americas just right on the other side of the (Pacific) Ocean. I strongly hoped that the legacy of our actions will not be wasted in generations to come because I strongly believe that freedom is earned and independence is a merit that everyone of us should not taken to be granted. The sruggle for dignity and liberty continues until the whole Philippine Islands are liberated from oppression and tyranny."

At the end of his speech, Andrés Novales would never expect that the crowd below the balcony of Palacio del Gobernador would respond actively to his every word, most especially when he finished the whole speech; multitudes of Manileños clapped and cheered enthusiastically, and a battle cry, known to be remembered for succeeding generations of Filipinos, was shouted for the very first time:

"¡Viva las Islas Filipinas!", the soldiers said.

"¡Viva!", the crowd responded.

"¡Viva la libertad!"

"¡Viva!"

"¡Viva el Caudillo Andrés Novales!

"¡Viva!"

"¡Abajo la tirania!"

"¡Abajo!"

Last edited:

The Revolution Spreads

Within a few days after Spanish Army captain Andrés Novales and his eight hundred soldiers captured the Walled City of Intramuros and announced before its citizens that his rebellion has already commenced, three hundred men were deployed to the rest of the province of Manila to capture the most strategic locations,, especially forts and other important military infrastructure. While there were gunfights between the rebels and the loyalist forces in places like San Juan del Monte[1] and Novaliches[2], most were described as "relatively peaceful" takeover of forts and other military infrastructures , especially in places near the Walled City like Ermita, Pineda[3] and Sta. Ana: the loyalist soldiers simply handed the key to the rebel commanders and switched their alliance to authority of El Caudillo Novales.

Simultaneously, the other four hundred soldiers were sent to provinces in the southern part of Luzón to assist the already-visible guerrilla forces trained by El Caudillo's sergeants months before the revolt. The contributions made by the guerrillas was considered very important for Novales and his men because their dare-devil nighttime attacks on the positions of the colonial forces has enable the possibility that once El Caudillo's men and the guerrillas had formally merged to attack the provincial capital, most especially the battalions that protected it form external attack. Another tactic used by the provincial guerrillas was using additional military know-how from the captured loyalist soldiers, thus they would enable to improve their skills in fighting.

While their colleagues were in action in the rest of Manila, the combined forces of Novales' army and provincial guerrillas were able to capture the provincial capital and some of the most important towns in the province: for example, the town of Batangas, the capital of the province of the same name, were finally fell to the rebels after a two-day siege (4-6 June), while other towns such as Lipa and Sto. Tomas surrendered a few days later.

The remaining soldiers were assigned to defend the Walled City of Intramuros as personally ordered by Novales.

It was the 4th of June in Palacio del Gobernador, the seat of the Junta Provisional, Andrés Novales has learned from Count Luis Rodríguez Varela through the latter's sources that Governor-General Juan Antonio Martínez (and the rest of the colonial government) has already fled to the city of San Fernando de Pampanga and was preparing to counter the rebel forces by concentrating all of the loyalist forces in northern and central regions of Luzón as one single force. The Captain immediately held an urgent meeting with some of his officers, including the newly-appointed Captain-General of the rebel forces Mariano Novales and the Count himself. He just asked:

"What shall we do to confront them?"

A definitive answer came from his sublieutenant Ambrosio Ruiz Tetangco:

"We must capture Bulacán, and use the place as shield against the loyalists"

My subordinate responded a very reasonable answer, Captain Andrés Novales taught. But he asked a single question: "How?"

And a suggestion from his elder brother has intrigued everyone.

NOTES:
[1] OTL San Juan City and some parts of Quezon City.
[2] OTL northeast Quezon City.
[3] OTL Pasay City (?)

Here's a conversation from my DeviantArt a couple of days ago:

kyuzoaoi: "What you are thinking for a flag of the Philippine Empire by Andres Novales?"

ramones1986 (Me): "Honestly, I think it will be too anachronistic to use either of the two prototypes of the current Philippine flag."

Is it indeed anachronistic to use the two prototypes of the current Philippine flag for a Philippine-centric TL with an 1823 PoD?

Here's the flags in question:
pg005_1_01.jpg

pg005_1_03.jpg

It would be, since the symbols our OTL Revolution used were rooted in things that happened IOTL.

A few possibilities:

Knocking out the crown from our OTL Manila coat of arms, leaving the fortress and sealion.

Perhaps adding the agimat (maybe a triangle and eye? ;)) to the OTL Manila coat of arms.