Sam Westwood's Hollywood

So...there are four days left, but I'm going to accept the fact that this TL got pummeled really hard in the polls.

Unfortunately, I saw a tiny bit of behaviour among newer members that was less than impressive this year. Hopefully next time there will be a more civil contest. Something like speculative fiction is supposed to be FUN.

Wanted to thank all of you who *did* vote for me and have been really supportive. You are all awesome! 😃

There will be some new posts coming shortly as my time off due to COVID closures got extended. Hope you are all doing well and staying safe!

Last edited:
Sam on Harrison Ford, some thoughts about Clint Eastwood's film 'Breezy'
From a cassette tape belonging to the archive of Nolan Hendricks. This one is labelled 'Sam Westwood, 1990'

Sam: I was ok with being compared to other actors. Harrison Ford and I still have a friendly rivalry. I think at this point, he's left me in the dust. But fifteen years ago, we were at the same level.

Neither of us was afraid to take smaller roles. My part in 'Erring' was smaller. Harrison Ford's role in 'American Graffiti' wasn't very big either. Except that got Harrison 'Jaws' and then 'Indiana Jones'. 'Erring' got me 'Devil Child' which would have been a classic had it been finished.

Nolan: There were always stories floating around about this unfinished Sam Westwood movie that had Judy Garland and Patty Duke-Astin it.

Sam: We can do a whole tape on that. It would literally take up a good chunk of a cassette. That was part of what I refer to as the bad luck quartet.

Nolan: Would you ever go back to it?

Sam: Because the restoration of 'The Grifters' was successful, things seem to be turning around for me. Scorcese opened some doors that I thought had been boarded up. 'After Dark My Sweet', the film he made instead, is supposed to be really good. When you are connected to some buzz, offers start coming in. I'd like to direct something and if it is ok with Shaun, yeah, maybe I'd take over 'Devil Child' and re-film it. But it would need Shaun's blessing.

**********************************************************************************

From Forgotten Films, Volume 2: The New Hollywood Era by Nolan Hendricks (2001)

Excerpt from a part of the book where the 1973 Clint Eastwood directed film
Breezy is mentioned.

"Screenwriter Jo Heims wrote the script about a May to December romance between a middle-aged man and a young woman. Heims had written the screenplay with Eastwood in mind to play the starring role of realtor Frank Harmon, a bitter divorced man who falls in love with the young Breezy. While Eastwood felt capable of playing Harmon, he initially believed he was too young at that stage to play the role. The plan was for Eastwood to direct the film himself while an older actor would play Harmon. Eastwood initially approached Jeffrey Hunter who was uneasy about accepting the role. William Holden almost accepted the part until Eastwood had a change of heart and decided to play Harmon himself. [1]

Kay Lenz was cast based on her performances in 1971's The Kill-Off. Lenz had also recently shot a smaller role in American Graffiti.

Breezy was shot at the end of 1972 in five weeks on a budget of $750,000. However, executives at Universal were wary after test screenings, Eastwood fans wanted an action film, not a romantic drama. A small screening for a group of film critics went better and Universal released the film without making any changes. Breezy was promoted as a change of pace for Eastwood. While the film did earn its entire budget back, the $3 million Breezy finally made at the box office ensured a minor success at best.

Roger Ebert praised Kay Lenz performance as the title character and Eastwood's directorial effort, his third overall. Eastwood's performance also gained praise from the critic, but Ebert warned that "If you're looking for a standard Clint Eastwood Dirty Harry style shoot-em-up picture, you're in for a major letdown. Breezy is a romantic drama that lets Eastwood stretch his capabilities as an actor".

The film occasionally appeared as a pop culture reference including a Mad Magazine parody called Sneezy--"

[1] OTL, he went with William Holden. The age gap between Holden and Kay Lenz always seemed large. Although there is also a gap between Eastwood and Lenz, it doesn't seem as glaring.

A brief outline on Mame (1973), Sam on hate crimes and activism.
You came, you saw, you conquered and absolutely nothing is the same.
Your special fascination'll prove to be inspirational, we think you're just sensational,
Mame...Mame...Mame!

Mame (Warner Brothers, November 1973)

Screenplay by Paul Zindel (Based on the novel Auntie Mame by Patrick Dennis and Mame by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Edwin Lee).

Directed By Gene Saks

Cast

Angela Lansbury
as Mame Dennis

Bea Arthur as Vera Charles

Robert Preston as Beauregard Jackson Pickett "Beau" Burnside

Bruce Davison as Patrick Dennis (Kirby Furlong as Young Patrick Dennis)

Joyce Van Patten as Sally Cato

Ruth Buzzi as Agnes Gooch

George Chiang as Ito

Ellen Geer as Gloria Upson

Don Porter as Mr. Upson

Audrey Christie as Mrs. Upson

John McGiver as Mr. Babcock

Stockard Channing as Pegeen

Notes From IMDB

Filming was scheduled to start in early 1972 with George Cukor set to direct. Cukor pulled out due to scheduling. Gene Saks, who helmed the Broadway production replaced him.

Lucille Ball, and then Judy Garland were both set to star. Ball was forced to quit when she broke her leg. Garland had to drop out due to a prior commitment filming Erring On The Side Of Caution for newcomer Shaun K. Davis.

Eventually, Angela Lansbury, who originated the role on Broadway was cast at the urging of Saks.

While the film was initially to be released during the spring of 1973, Executives at Warner Brothers shelved the film until November so as to draw attention for the upcoming awards season.

Mame was a much-anticipated release for Warner Brothers and a box office success. Ebert praised the chemistry Lansbury had with performers Ruth Buzzi, Bea Arthur, Joyce Van Patten and Ellen Geer calling it "A comedic goldmine".

Stockard Channing and Ellen Geer were also recognized for their performances and garnered heavy buzz. Geer was coming off of a small, but critically acclaimed role as a phoney would-be actress named Sunshine Dore ("That's Dor-ay!"), in Harold and Maude.
Outtakes From Sam Westwood's Hollywood (2016)

Sam:
I think Judy was disappointed that she didn't do Mame, but she felt our movie had a good story and Mame was a really physical role. I mean she did do Towering Inferno, but she had doubles for the more demanding scenes.

Interviewer: What was her involvement with the Metropolitan Community Church? Are you able to shed any light on that?

Sam: Judy wasn't pushy. It never really came up in conversation but she did attend MCC services once in a while and got to know the pastor, Troy Perry, who was openly gay. They also had a congregation in New Orleans and uh, quite a few people were killed in the Upstairs Lounge fire. [1]

Harris is seen looking upset

Harris: I heard about it through a friend who had moved to New Orleans and was really upset. The media did f*** all in regards to covering what was a really horrible hate crime. And Sam had to console me.

Sam: We both donated money but made it anonymous. At the time I wanted to do more. Judy donated and she wasn't anonymous about it. I would imagine she had heard about it through Troy Perry.

I got to know Troy a little. I think he had hoped I would use my celebrity when Anita Bryant was on the warpath but I just...was not ready.

Interviewer: You had crossed paths with her as well, right?

Sam: When my draft number came up I was deferred by Disney and made a couple of training films instead. And I did hospital visits as part of that. I just showed up and talked to people and signed autographs. I felt guilty. Some of those kids were in rough shape and I was just there smiling and signing autographs. Anyway, she was there entertaining the troops and I didn't have any issues.

Harris: She probably didn't know you are gay.

Sam: Well, no. But she didn't seem as unbalanced as she did a decade later.

Harris: I wanted to participate in more gay activism--

Interviewer: Harris, you were photographed wearing an Anita Bryant Sucks Oranges t-shirt later on--

Harris: Yeah but wearing a t-shirt is different than actually going out and protesting--

Sam: You were showing support though.

Harris: Well, in the 80's we made more effort.

[1 A] 32 people died. Before 2016, this was one of the worst gay hate crimes on record. There is a link here about it. Be warned, it was a pretty horrible crime and most articles tend to be graphic. At the time, press coverage about the fire was minimal at best.

[1 B) There is some info about Troy Perry here. Perry was a vocal opponent of Anita Bryant IOTL and TTL.

Last edited:
Hollywood Tragedies, Parties, and The Dune Debacle
Dustin Hoffman, People, 1983:

"I couldn't believe it when Steve died, it was right before 'Papillon' came out. He went out like James Dean."

New York Times Headline, November 25th, 1973:

"MCQUEEN, MCGRAW KILLED IN CAR ACCIDENT"

"Hollywood has been hit hard today with the news that movie star couple Steve McQueen and Ali McGraw were killed in a car accident outside Los Angeles County late last night. Sources say McQueen was driving erratically at 180 km/h when a tire blew out causing the car McQueen was driving to flip. McGraw is said to have been killed on impact. McQueen was thrown out and later died on the way to hospital of his injuries. McGraw's son Joshua Evans, 2, is reported to be safe and with McGraw's ex-husband, Paramount head Robert Evans--"

The National Enquirer:

"One witness says he saw McGraw and McQueen arguing outside a Hollywood party and that McQueen was speeding during an argument. Others have disputed this story. Nobody for sure knows what instigated McQueen that night--"

From a cassette tape belonging to the archive of Nolan Hendricks. This one is labelled 'Sam Westwood, 1990'

Sam:
I was at that party, yes.

Nolan: There seem to be different accounts of where the party was--

Sam: It was at the Playboy Mansion. I didn't enjoy unwanted advances from anyone and it had happened there. Usually avoided going. But, I got talked into this one party and went alone.

Nolan: Harris wasn't with you?

Sam: No. I don't know why we didn't just pull what we called the swinging bachelor act. He might have been busy.

I spent most of the night with Sharon Tate. She was dating Jay Sebring again very briefly and they had just become friends with Farrah Fawcett. She wasn't quite Farrah yet, but Harris had worked with her on that TV movie, so I knew who she was. Jay was really good friends with McQueen, who I did meet earlier that night. I saw Jay whisper something in Sharon's ear later, and Sharon looked a bit concerned and went to go find him and Ali McGraw, but by that point, they'd taken off.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The making of Arthur P. Jacobs Dune (and then some):

Variety, November 1973:

Sam Westwood to star in Arthur P. Jacobs Dune

"The first casting announcement for Arthur P. Jacobs production of Dune, to be directed by Douglas Trumbull for Paramount, has been announced as Sam Westwood. The reliable Hollywood star has been cast as Paul, the film's main protagonist." [1]

Variety, Issue marked December 1973

"More official casting announcements have been made for Arthur P. Jacobs Dune. The great Gloria Swanson has been added to the cast--" [1]

Early January 1974

"Sam Westwood leaves Dune. Michael Sarrazin to replace Westwood. Dune is set to start filming in February--"
*********************************************************************************************************

Elizabeth Taylor spills the beans on what really happened with Dune *

February 1997 Interview of Elizabeth Taylor by Robert Osborne. Taylor was a guest presenter that night. (Between Giant & Liz’s selection – Dune)

RO: You were up for 'Dune', weren’t you?

ET: There were talks, but it wasn’t what I wanted to do at the time. I hated Art Jacobs. You couldn’t tell him anything.

RO: Was it a personal or professional rift?

ET: (Thinks for a moment)

Both. Personally, I felt sorry for Natalie--

RO: Natalie Trundy, his wife?

ET: Yes, he was always seeing other men going after her and no matter what really happened – you could have video of it – he would still believe what he originally thought. That’s why poor Sam Westwood got fired, you know.

RO: He found out Westwood was homosexual, that’s the –

ET: BULLSHIT! (sighs and takes a drink of what appears to be tea)

There was a party, it was about the time I met Steven. Marlon Brando was there. It was when he was starting to look bad – and he was putting moves on Natalie and Sam very politely waltzed her off to dance. Art sees them do two or three dances, waiting for Marlon to find fresh prey and immediately thinks Sam is making a move on her. She tells him what happened, but he doesn’t believe it and fires Sam. So, Natalie quits the film in protest – another actress got her part – and we got this film without Sam Westwood.

RO: (Laughing) But you chose this!

ET: Well, It’s got some great acting, and for me, it was an acquired taste. I love Dean Stockwell. I should have married him! (cackles).

* Natalie Trundy later confirmed in an interview with British film magazine Empire that Liz told the truth about the reason her late husband fired Sam, but added that Taylor was never offered a part because Art thought her too demanding. Trundy also added that the party in question was to celebrate the start of filming but that a who's who of stars were also invited. She also specified that while Jacobs normally cast her in his films, she wasn't at any point a cast member on Dune.
************************************************************************************************************

Sam Westwood on the Dune and Inferno debacles. From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Sam: I never defended myself and should have. Elizabeth Taylor went on TV years later and spilt the beans on what happened.

I had been let go from 'Dune' but needed to work. Dick knew that Irwin Allen was wanting me for a role in his next disaster epic, so to fill in time my publicist arranged for a Golden Globe campaign for 'Last American Hero'. And I went between New York and L.A. to do a lot of TV. I did a whole week on 'Hollywood Squares', Mike Douglas. I wasn't resting well and when it came time to film 'The Towering Inferno', I was exhausted.

Honestly, I don't know why Irwin Allen wanted me to play the fireman. Jeff should have played the fireman and I should have played Jeff's role.

Anyway, I'm on the set, and Paul was really worried about me. Paul knew how to work with me because he had directed me, and he's feeding me lines which concerned him because I was usually up on that. A couple of days in, I was doing a scene and just passed out.

Interviewer is heard talking in the background

Sam: No. I had to go on anti-depressants after I was outed and blackballed, but Dick forbade me to take any kind of uppers or downers.

My doctor told me I needed to rest up. Because the film was being financed by two studios they did not want to close the production. Paul, Jeff and Judy all begged the producers to film around me. None of them could walk because they were tied to this thing. Judy was worried.

Harris: She was worried about Sam's health because of how many times something like that had happened to her.

Sam: So, that wound up being the second role I'd lost. That time there were rumours I'd been unreliable or was taking pills. Everybody stepped up for me and it came out that I was exhausted.

Harris: I was doing a film for Roger by then and it was in town, thank God, so I was able to keep an eye on Sam--

Sam: Harris would take really good care of me but when it came to himself--

Harris: I couldn't take care of myself.

Sam: And I do not mean that as a put down because it's not.

Harris:
It's just how things were at the time.
****************************************************************************************************************
From a cassette tape belonging to the archive of Nolan Hendricks. This one is labelled 'Sam Westwood, 1990'.

Nolan:
How did you end up working for Roger Corman?

Sam: Dick made a deal with Roger because he wanted a 'name actor' for a little film called 'Overlords'--

Nolan: Oh my God. Sorry.

The two laugh

Sam: Yeah, one of Roger's worst films. He knows it was terrible. I dodged a bullet.

I only did two days of filming. This was literally a couple of weeks after 'Devil Child' and it wound up being the fourth picture things didn't work out on. I was getting a reputation. Dick helped me get a new publicist and I had her for a few years. She was instrumental in helping me land 'Peter Proud' and then after that things were smooth sailing again until the early '80s.

Nolan: You did do 'Arms Of The Stars' later for Corman--

Sam: Roger decided he wanted a different type of actor. It wasn't anything personal, I think he was trying to give me an easy out. To avoid any sort of contractual dispute, we worked it out with the agreement that I would do a different film for him at a future date.

Last edited:
Steve McQueen dead?
And Jacobs doing Dune.
I take it that that get rid of Papillon .
I Know you mentioned the film "The Towering Inferno" .
Did you mention who play the McQueen role after Sam collapse?

Also is there a version of "Tom Horn" in this Timeline? IIRC Don Sigel was going to direct it but he clashed with McQueen.
No McQueen , may mean that Sigel does the Film. It would have to be a better film then Rough Cut.

The Hunter was base on a book by Christopher Kean so it still might have made. Peter Hyams was the original director who like Sigel clashed with McQueen.
So I looking forward to seeing which of these movies that Stared McQueen will happen in this Timeline.
Who would star in them?

Last edited:
The Exorcist (Warner Brothers, December 26th, 1973)

The Exorcist (Warner Brothers, December 26th, 1973)

Directed by William Friedkin

Produced by William Peter Blatty

Screenplay by William Peter Blatty (Based on The Exorcist by Blatty)

Cast (Main Cast Only)

Jean Seberg
as Cris MacNeil

Max von Sydow as Father Merrin

Jason Miller as Father Karras

Pamelyn Ferdin as Regan MacNeil (Eileen Dietz and Mercedes McCambridge also earned billing for their work as the demon and voice of Pazuzu respectively). [1]

Lee J. Cobb as Lieutenant William F. Kinderman

Kitty Winn as Sharon Spencer

Jack MacGowran as Burke Dennings [2]

Father William O'Malley as Father Joseph Dyer

Peter Masterson as Dr. Barringer

Notes from IMDB

Seberg narrowly beat out Shirley MacLaine for the role of Cris MacNeil. Eve Plumb and a then-unknown Linda Blair were also in the running for Regan MacNeil. Friedkin felt that despite Pamelyn Ferdin being somewhat well known, she had the best rapport with Seberg.

During filming, Seberg had become aware that a few years earlier, the FBI had planned to smear her in a blind item by gossip columnist Joyce Haber before turning their attentions to Jane Fonda. Around that time, Seberg had suffered a miscarriage, which she never quite got over.

After The Exorcist was released, an increasingly paranoid Jean Seberg allegedly received death threats from what she described as "Religious fanatics". Seberg had bodyguards protecting her and son Alexandre Gary, 11, for six months after the release. During the late 1970s, with the encouragement of former co-star Patty Duke (Valley Of The Dolls), Seberg underwent treatment for bipolar disorder.

Critics and audiences alike were shocked by the infamous "spider walk" scene.

Audience members were reported to be so horrified by the material that some fainted or went into shock.

There were also rumours of an "Exorcist Curse". The rumours were kickstarted by the death of actor Jack MacGowran, who played the ill-fated Burke Dennings, on January 30th, 1973 Another notable incident was the appearance of x-ray technician turned serial killer Paul Bateson as a radiologist's assistant. Bateson would later inspire the infamous 1980 film Cruising. [2]

Notes

[1] Although Ferdin had some recent voice work on her resume with Charlotte's Web, McCambridge is still brought in. However, she doesn't have to fight for credit ITTL.

[2] Murderpedia article on Bateson

Last edited:
46th Academy Awards
unnamed.png

46th Academy Awards 4/2/1974. Susan Hayward (in her last public appearance) and Charlton Heston are presenting the award for Best Actress. Hayward is clearly ill but doing her best to put on a brave face.

Hayward: The nominations for Best Performance by an actress are--

Jean Seberg for 'The Exorcist'

(Close-up of Jean Seberg)

Heston: Glenda Jackson for 'A Touch Of Class'

(Extended closeup of Chuck because Glenda Jackson, as usual, is a no show)

Hayward: Angela Lansbury for 'Mame'

(Cut to a closeup of Lansbury)

Heston: Barbra Streisand for 'The Way We Were'

(Since Streisand is also a no show, we then cut to a close up of Joanne Woodward who is with her husband Paul Newman, who unbeknownst to anyone would make history moments later by winning his third Oscar for Best Actor, handed to him by Cicely Tyson, who made history the year before as the first African American to win Best Actress for Sounder).

Hayward: Joanne Woodward for 'Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams'

(The screen cuts to a full shot of Hayward and Heston with the framed close-ups of the nominees)

Heston: And here are the ENVELOPES

(Chuck stretches the word loudly and for what seems like a long period of time before handing it to Susan Hayward).

Hayward: And the winner is-- (Hayward pauses)

We have a TIE!

(Heston takes a quick peek. They both look shocked. Susan Hayward continues)

Hayward: The winners are Angela Lansbury for 'Mame' and Barbra Streisand for 'The Way We Were'!

Cut to Angela Lansbury looking surprised. She then makes her way to the stage alongside Sue Mengers (who is accepting on behalf of Streisand) to accept her award-- [1]

Variety:

"Towards the end of the evening, a streaker named Robert Opal crashed the event just as David Niven was introducing Elizabeth Taylor to present the award for Best Picture which went to The Sting. Even the crashing of the ceremony can't keep people from talking about the tie for Best Actress earlier that night--"

From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Harris: I wasn't able to be with Sam when he won the Golden Globe. I watched it from the TV at the house in Malibu and then gave him a huge kiss when he got home. (chuckles)

Sam: He was at the Oscars, though. Elizabeth Taylor brought him as her "date" for the evening.

Harris: I had never been and it was scary. That was such a weird ceremony too.

Sam: I presented costume design alongside Twiggy. We'd already shot that film together--

Harris: How Elizabeth and I made it through without any issues is beyond me. We were both plastered by the end of the night. She kept cackling about the streaker.

Sam: Why do you think I never brought you until years later? I'm just glad it wasn't you who streaked (laughs)

Harris: Give me some credit-- (Harris fakes looking upset that Sam would think he would have streaked at the Oscars).

The two laugh

Harris: You would have left me!

Sam: I won't say yes or no on that one. (chuckles)

Sam: Anyway, there was that tie for Best Actress which was shocking and then Paul won his third Oscar. He was the first person to win three--

46th Academy Awards 4/2/1974: Winners and Nominees (Main categories only)

download.jpg

Best Actor*

Paul Newman- The Sting

Martin Sheen- Badlands
Jack Lemmon- Save the Tiger
Jack Nicholson- The Last Detail
Al Pacino- Serpico

Best Actress

(TIE)
Angela Lansbury- Mame
Barbra Streisand- The Way We Were

Glenda Jackson- A Touch of Class
Jean Seberg- The Exorcist
Joanne Woodward- Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams

Actor in a Supporting Role

John Houseman- The Paper Chase

Vincent Gardenia- Bang the Drum Slowly
Jason Miller- The Exorcist
Max von Sydow- The Exorcist
Warren Oates- Badlands

Actress in a Supporting Role

Madeline Kahn-
Paper Moon

Valentina Cortese- Day For Night
Beatrice Arthur- Mame
Sylvia Sidney- Summer Wishes, Winter Dreams
Tatum O'Neal- Paper Moon

Best Picture

The Sting

The Way We Were
American Graffiti
Mame
A Touch of Class

Best Director

The Sting- George Roy Hill

American Graffiti- George Lucas
Mame- Gene Saks
The Exorcist- William Friedkin
Badlands- Terrence Malick

Best Song

"The Way We Were"-
The Way We Were

"I Got A Name"- The Last American Hero
"Live And Let Die"- Live and Let Die
"Love"- Robin Hood
"Nice To Be Around"- Cinderella Liberty

Best Screenplay (Based On Material From Another Medium)

The Exorcist- William Peter Blatty

The Last Detail- Robert Towne
The Paper Chase- James Bridges
Paper Moon- Alvin Sargent
Serpico- Waldo Salt, Norman Wexler

Best Screenplay (Based On Factual Material or Material Not Previously Published or Produced)

The Sting- David S. Ward

American Graffiti
- George Lucas, Gloria Katz, Willard Huyck
Cries and Whispers- Ingmar Bergman
Save the Tiger- Steve Shagan
A Touch of Class- Melvin Frank, Jack Rose

Music (Original Dramatic Score)

The Way We Were- Marvin Hamlisch

Cinderella Liberty- John Williams
The Day of the Dolphin- Georges Delerue
Papillon- Jerry Goldsmith
A Touch of Class- John Cameron

Best Original Song Score and Adaptation

Mame- Adaptation Score by Jerry Herman

The Sting- Adaptation Score by Marvin Hamlisch
Jesus Christ Superstar- Adaptation Score by Andre Previn, Herbert Spencer and Andrew Lloyd Webber
Tom Sawyer- Song Score by Richard M. Sherman and Robert B. Sherman; Adaptation Score by John Williams

Notes

*While I have no intention of covering the Golden Globes, this was the year Sam Westwood won Best Performance in a Motion Picture – Drama (Actor) for his role in The Last American Hero. Unfortunately, he was passed over for an Oscar nomination.

[1] The 1968 tie hadn't happened yet ITTL. You can see how things went down IOTL here. Ellen Burstyn's reaction to Glenda Jackson winning is priceless.

Last edited:
Steve McQueen dead?
And Jacobs doing Dune.
I take it that that get rid of Papillon .

It was a longer post than I normally do so you may have missed a couple things. Go back and read the top part where Dustin Hoffman talks about Papillon. It was McQueen's last film in my TL before his death.

It was a longer post than I normally do so you may have missed a couple things. Go back and read the top part where Dustin Hoffman talks about Papillon. It was McQueen's last film in my TL before his death.
Sorry I completely missed the line. So Papillon does get made.
Does Jacobs live longer in this timeline?

Chinatown (Paramount, July, 1974)
Chinatown (Paramount, July 1974) [1]

Screenplay by Robert Towne

Directed by Jack Nicholson

A Robert Evans Production

Cast

Jack Nicholson
as J.J. "Jake" Gittes

Carol Lynley as Evelyn Cross Mulwray [1]

John Huston as Noah Cross

Perry Lopez as Lieutenant Lou Escobar

John Hillerman as Russ Yelburton

Darrell Zwerling as Hollis I. Mulwray

Diane Ladd as Ida Sessions

Roy Jenson as Claude Mulvihill

Bruce Dern as Man with Knife

Dick Bakalyan as Detective Loach

Joe Mantell as Lawrence Walsh

Bruce Glover as Duffy

Nandu Hinds as Sophie

James Hong as Kahn, Evelyn's Butler

Beulah Quo as Maid

Belinda Palmer as Katherine Cross

Burt Young as Curly

Jerry Fujikawa as Gardener

Notes from IMDB

Towne declined an offer from Evans for $175,000 to pen the screenplay for The Great Gatsby but Towne declined, asking for $25.000 to write his own screenplay. Evans accepted the offer.

The Great Gatsby was released three months before Chinatown. Natalie Wood, who played Daisy, was the first celebrity to appear on the cover of People Magazine.

Bruce Dern, who had a cameo as the man who takes a knife to Jake's nose, also appeared in Gatsby.
Bob Rafelson (The King Of Marvin Gardens) was scheduled to direct, but after the death of Rafelson's daughter, Julie in an accident in August 1973 and the subsequent cancer diagnosis of his wife Toby forced the director to pull out prior to the October 1973 start date. It was decided that Nicholson, who had directed 1971's Drive, He Said would take over. Unsure about taking over double duty on the film, Sam Westwood read for the role of Jake before Nicholson decided to star and direct.

Faye Dunaway, Sharon Tate, and Karen Black (who Nicholson had directed in Drive, He Said) were considered for the role of Evelyn before Carol Lynley was cast.

The original script had narration from Jake. Nicholson and Towne decided to cut this out of the final film.

[1] With Roman Polanski dead ITTL, the ending from Towne's original script where
Noah Cross is killed and Evelyn and her daughter are able to get away
is used.