Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Erring on the Side of Caution (Warner Brothers, September 1974)
Erring on the Side of Caution (Warner Brothers, September 1974)

Written and Directed by Shaun K. Davis

Produced by Michael Medwin

Cast

Liza Minnelli
as Julie Shaw

Judy Garland as Beth Shaw

David McCallum as Doctor Fitzsimmons

Ellen Corby as Missy Edwards

Robert Culp as Doctor Rydell

Sam Westwood as Mike Shaw

Melba Moore as Starla

Beatrice Straight as Nurse Claybourn

Anne Ramsey as Wife in Street

Logan Ramsey as Husband in Street

Paul Winfield as Police Seargent

Harris Walker as Rick- Man #1

James Cromwell as Orderly #1 (Uncredited)

Scott Glenn as Orderly #2 (Uncredited)

F. Murray Abraham as Man #2 (Uncredited)

Ken Norton as Man #3 (Uncredited)

Kate Jackson as Grocery Store Customer (Uncredited)

Plot
The film opens with Julie Shaw (Minnelli) losing her job as a cashier at a grocery store after pouring a gallon of milk over the register in an argument with a customer. During the argument, scars on Julie’s wrists are clearly visible. Beth Shaw (Garland) closes up the realty office where she works as a secretary and comes home to her small home to find that Julie has trashed the living room once more. She asks her daughter why and Julie replies she’s tired of always being wrong and that’s she’s been fired (again). Beth asks if Julie’s been home, why didn’t she make supper, Julie ignores her and goes back into her room. Beth starts supper.

The next day, Beth goes to work. Julie is in the kitchen making telephone calls to a ‘Rick, baby’ when Beth leaves. During the day, neighbour Missy Edwards (Corby) notes on three separate occasions (while taking out the trash, taking in the clothes and getting into her car to leave) that a different man is arriving each time at the Shaw house.

Missy visits Beth after an argument with herself about whether or not Beth should be told. It’s obvious Beth and Missy are good friends. Missy tells Beth that Julie’s having ‘those boyfriends’ coming by again. Beth is upset by the news.

Julie goes with her mother to her mother’s ‘follow-up’ appointment, where it’s obvious Julie is a patient of Dr Zachary Rydell as well. Julie goes in with her mother and asks the doctor for a renewal of her sleeping pills. When Dr Rydell says he’ll let her know, she leaves the room. Rydell, after learning from Beth that Julie has lost two jobs since he was last seen by Beth, suggests to Beth that Julie see Psychiatrist Dr Ian Fitzsimmons. Beth, in confidence, tells Rydell she doesn't have much time. Beth's illness is not addressed aside from Rydell saying if they’d caught it earlier, she might have been cured.

Rydell, even though Beth is reluctant, contacts Fitzsimmons, who is making rounds. This is how Rydell knows where to find him, and asks him about seeing Julie right away. Fitzsimmons agrees to see her the next day.

Meanwhile, it becomes increasingly obvious that Julie is having trouble coping in the ‘real world’ – she accosts a man and his wife on the street while she and Beth are going to see Fitzsimmons. Julie accuses the man of ‘not paying her’ and the woman of stealing her tricks. Beth apologizes to the couple, who have just come out of the Miller & Fitzsimmons Medical Center. The shaken couple leave quickly and Julie’s personality changes as the Shaws enter the building. The inside signage reveals that all the doctors are either psychologists or psychiatrists; one floor is listed for “Short Term Observation” and the top five floors are listed for “Long-Term Patient Care”.

Beth has her son Mike over for dinner. Julie asks Mike where his wife is. Mike responds, telling Julie his wife is at a PTA meeting, adding “You know she doesn’t like walking up the stairs”. However, an exchange of looks between him and his mother reveal that Julie is the reason. After dinner, Julie changes into a skimpy dress and leaves with her friend Starla to “see a movie”. Beth asks Mike if he’s thought about what she asked him and Mike gives a resounding and resolute no. Mike refuses to take Julie in when his mother dies, he’s got a family to think of and leaves after telling his mother not to ask him again, his decision is final. Beth cries after he’s gone.

Julie is arrested for street walking with Starla and calls her mother to bail her out. Beth, however, has unplugged her bedroom phone and a shot of the kitchen wall phone shows the ringer to be ‘off’). Julie has a meltdown in the cell and is sent to a local hospital’s psych ward for evaluation. Dr Fitzsimmons is called (apparently by Dr Rydell, whom Julie names as her doctor) and is given the job of overseeing her evaluation.

Fitzsimmons tells Beth that Julie has several issues, from when she was a child because of “what her father did, her lack of coping skills and inability to control her own behaviour under stress” – Beth acknowledges that her late husband had problems; Fitzsimmons points out that Mr. Shaw has been dead for nearly 15 years and Julie’s behaviour is getting worse, not better – Beth agrees. Fitzsimmons then tells Beth that while they can treat the many of the symptoms with pills, the odds are Julie won’t, at present, take them properly and she needs long-term, in-patient treatment. He tells her that she needs to get Julie to voluntarily commit herself; because once she’s in, they can make an evaluation and legally keep her from living as a danger to herself and others.

Beth, at home that night, looks over family photos and papers on her bed. There are shots of a family, but also paperwork indicating Algernon Shaw was released on parole and his death certificate (just the top part, when and how aren’t shown). Then she gets up and heads into the living room where Julie is seated, eating and watching TV. Beth turns off the set and tells Julie she has a big favour to ask her.

Two days later, Julie and Beth drive to Miller & Fitzsimmons, where the latter is waiting. Julie greets him with a smile and a quick: “Bet you’ll send me home faster than the manager at Food Mart did. I don’t seem to fit in anywhere.” To which Fitzsimmons replies: “You’ll fit in here, Julie, I wouldn’t let you come if I didn’t believe that.”

The end shot is a crying Beth going back to her car.

Notes from IMDB

David McCallum had a commitment to star in the British TV series Colditz. His scenes were shot in three days.

Erring On The Side Of Caution was shot during June 1972. The film was to be released by National General Pictures. However, the studio went defunct not long after. National General was sold to Warner Brothers, who shelved the film, finally releasing it in the fall of 1974. [1]

Garland and Minnelli had hoped to team up again for a showbiz drama entitled Mama Can You Hear Me? around 1976, but the project ultimately fell through due to Judy's ongoing health problems and planned director Edward O'Malley's increasingly erratic behaviour. Plans to recast the film with Carol Channing fell through.

Although the film was met with mixed reviews and mainly broke even because of the Garland-Minnelli pairing, it would become notable later for how the subject matter was approached. There was also Oscar buzz surrounding Liza Minnelli's performance.

A fan-made video compiled of scenes from the film set to Liza Minnelli's 1973 cover of 'You're So Vain' later became a popular YouTube upload.

From a cassette tape belonging to the archive of Nolan Hendricks. This one is labelled 'Sam Westwood, 1990'.

Nolan:
That movie had an impressive cast.

Sam: It did, yeah. I was on the set long enough to film my scenes and reconnect with Harris. And then get Harris out of New York.

Harris: That's the Reader's Digest condensed version.

Sam: Basically, yeah. (Sam chuckles)

It was a great script. I didn't care that it was a smaller part but was concerned that my appearing in the film could be a distraction. I asked for my name to be removed from the opening credits. Shaun felt that as part of the cast I should be billed as such. So I gave in and let them bill me sixth after Robert Culp.

Harris: Sam had a crush on Robert Culp!

Sam: That's bulls***! (laughs)

I didn't even see Robert Culp. I did have a crush on the still photographer. I forget his name. Harrison...something.

Harris: Someone is sleeping in the car tonight!

Everyone is heard laughing

Sam: I was mostly on the set with Judy, Liza, and Melba Moore. Liza and Judy had some clout regarding the cast and Liza wanted Melba in the film. People tend to forget that Melba Moore had won a Tony award and done quite a bit of Broadway. This film had some seriously talented performers involved. And I was able to work with Harris.

Harris: I liked the few times Sam and I were able to do something together.

Sam: It was nice. We'd get to swap anecdotes about the same shoot.

Nolan: So, an actor was cast and it fell through?

Harris: Yeah. The shoot was one day behind because the guy they hired to play the first gentleman caller showed up on the set loaded. The producer had rented this place to do exterior shots and we only had a few days.

Sam: If you were doing a film with Judy later in her career and she saw people drinking or using drugs on set, it did not end well.

Harris: Yes. Except Judy wasn't on set that day. It was Liza and Ellen Corby. And the two other guys who were hired to play gentleman callers which turned out to be Ken Norton and F. Murray Abraham. I think the only one who never worked again was the guy who showed up loaded.

Sam: This would have been before I showed up on set to film my part.

Harris: It was. Everyone was hanging around the set because this guy bombed and Shaun was trying to figure out what to do. I'm having a cigarette and he was talking to Liza and they were both looking over at me and I thought "Oh s***"

Nolan: Did you think you were going to get fired?

Harris: Yeah. Can't speak for Liza, but I hadn't touched a drop that day! You can't be shaky doing unit still photography, which is probably why I was drinking so much after filming wrapped. So Shaun comes over. Shaun knew every single name on that set.

Sam: He's never like "Hey kid, come over here!".

Harris: It's always "Hey Harris, can I please borrow you for a second?".

Harris: So Shaun pulls me aside and I thought "Well, I'm done" and he said "We need to shut down for a day while we resolve the casting issue. Liza told me you've been in a few films. Are you still acting?" and I told him that yes, I was and Helen Benson was trying to find me work while I did still photography. So he says "Great. I'm gonna talk to Michael Medwin", who was the producer. And he got Medwin to talk to Helen.

Later, Shaun calls and tells me to be ready for the camera in the morning. And that is how I wound up in the movie. And how my character became Rick and got one line which was a close up at the door and "Hey Baby!". To really add to the role, Shaun instructed me to look really greasy and had me shove a wad of gum in my mouth. And there is that long shot of me rubbing a cigarette out on the ground and Ellen Corby looking disgusted.

Sam: Shaun told me later that Harris saved the shoot because they got it on one take and were able to move onto the rest of that sequence.

Harris: Barely. Liza was trying not to laugh because she hadn't expected to see that when opening the door.

Nolan: People sort of forgot about your earlier career--

Harris: Well, I had this publicist the Benson's hated which is how 'Playgirl' happened. And then from there, I was doing more work in front of the camera again. Helen wanted me to be a respected actor, but I'd do something stupid like 'Playgirl'. Drove her mad.
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

From a 1974 People Magazine profile on Shaun K. Davis [2]

Upon first meeting, Shaun K. Davis, the writer/director of the film Erring On The Side Of Caution wants to make one thing straight:

"The K stands for nothing. My full name is Albert Shaun Davis, but I've always hated Albert"

That footnote aside, Davis has been making waves with his debut film Erring, a project which stars the dynamic mother/daughter duo of Judy Garland and Liza Minnelli.

"The film took about a month to shoot" Davis recalls "A director who was originally hired wanted to bring in a lot of elements, like what the father of Liza's character did and why he went to prison. He wanted to specify what Judy Garland's character was dying from. I didn't like it".

Mr Davis, 32, says the film was inspired by his late sister's diary. To keep the film closer to his vision, Davis showed the writings to none other than Garland herself.

As Davis recalls: "Judy told the producer she’d do the movie for scale and a percentage if they’d let me direct".

Davis comes from a rather chequered past that could be straight out of his own film. The third of eight children, Davis' father was questioned by the House Un-American Activities Committee during the late 1940's. He refused to answer questions on principle, the family name was changed and a move was made from New York City to California.

"They chose California because my mother's uncle was in show business. He worked as an extra in pictures" Davis explains, adding that he prefers not to name family members out of respect.

Tragedy struck several years later when in 1960, Shaun's parents and youngest two siblings were killed when their father ploughed into a tree while driving under the influence. Davis remembers his father as "a horrible alcoholic. It all started after we had to leave New York City".

A couple of years after this tragedy, Shaun watched his oldest brother, who Davis only refers to as "H" have a nervous breakdown. Not only was Davis now responsible for his youngest remaining siblings, but they were also forced to go to court and have "H" involuntarily committed. "H" was released two years later, but committed suicide in 1966. For several years, Davis remained estranged from his older sister who refused to get involved. In 1969 she died of what was ruled an accidental overdose of sleeping pills. Upon her death, Shaun came across his sister's diary and was horrified to discover that she had been molested by both her uncle and oldest brother.

"I was disgusted and felt guilty," Davis tells People. "I wish I could have done more to help her".

Shaun initially went to work supporting his younger brothers and sister while working in the offices of American International Pictures. Davis was eventually able to move behind the camera while working on his script. By the time Erring was shot, the filmmaker had three television commercials, and two TV credits (Bracken's World, Dark Shadows) under his belt.

"I hope to accomplish much more," Davis tells People.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
Trade Magazine Snippets, Fall, 1974:

"20th Century Fox has offered Ellen Burstyn a contract to star in a film of her choice after the recent success of Harry And Tonto. Burstyn, who is best known for films like The King Of Marvin Gardens, has received rave reviews for her supporting role as Art Carney's daughter. The actress is in talks to make a film for the studio called Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, based on a screenplay by Robert Getchell". [3]

"A film at Columbia is in development titled Devil Child with a script by Shaun K. Davis. The film, described as horror, is set to star Patty Duke-Astin, Sam Westwood, and Judy Garland. Filming is set to start sometime in early 1975".

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
[1] Buy out that also occurred IOTL.

[2] Shaun K. Davis and Shannon Gibbs are both the nom de plume of desmirelle. In future posts, if a script is by Davis or Gibbs, the plot for it came from desmirelle.

[3] IOTL, Warners wanted to do another film with Ellen Burstyn after The Exorcist and her agent came up with Alice for her. ITTL, Alice is made about a year later by another studio.

Targeted (United Artists October 1974)
Targeted (United Artists October 1974)

Directed by George C. Scott [1]

Screenplay by Charles and Alexa Foster

Main Cast (In order of appearance)

Sam Westwood
as Richard Cook

George C. Scott as Robert Riddle

Katharine Ross as Samantha Cox

Tina Louise as Laura Brown

Trish Van Devere as Elli Butler

Sam Elliott as Michael Cox

Roger Perry as Senator Thomas Brown

Synopsis

Sam Westwood plays Richard Cook, a photographer who wakes up from a week-long coma to discover that an attempt has been made on his life. After Richard is discharged, his best friend and colleague, reporter Michael Cox (Elliott) is murdered. Michael's wife Samantha (Ross), a television news journalist finds evidence that connects Michael's murder and the attempt on Richard's life to the assassination of Senator Thomas Brown, a presidential candidate. An event to which Michael, Richard, and Samantha, who were all covering the campaign were present.

Richard has to figure out who is after him. Is it Laura Brown (Louise), the Senator's wife who has contacted Richard to tell him she is also being targeted, is it the beautiful Elli Butler (Van Devere), mistress of Robert Riddle, the corrupt business tycoon who was financing Brown's campaign, or is it Riddle himself?

Notes from IMDB

Jacqueline Bisset was initially set to play Elli Butler. After George C. Scott signed on as director and agreed to play the role of Robert Riddle, Trish Van Devere was cast.

First produced screenplay by the husband and wife team of the American born Charles Foster and British Alexa Foster. [2]

Katharine Ross started dating Sam Elliott during production. After this film wrapped, Ross went on to star in 1975's The Stepford Wives, again sharing screen time with Tina Louise. [3]

Original posters for the film were to read Sam Westwood is Targeted. However, a billing issue with George C. Scott resulted in this idea being scrapped and Westwood, Scott, and Katharine Ross were all billed above the title on the poster, trailer, and opening credits.

Targeted represented a career turn around for Tina Louise. Her critically acclaimed role was followed by a series of character parts which ultimately led to Louise starring in the 1977 comedy hit Fun With Dick And Jane.

From Sam Westwood's Hollywood

Sam:
It was a good movie. Dick had wanted me to attempt a comedy and we looked for scripts, but I kept going back to 'Targeted' which was a political thriller. The Foster's liked me and wrote a couple more scripts with me in mind. George C. Scott was...an interesting experience (laughs). He chewed up every scene he was in playing the antagonist.

I had tremendous respect for him, even after we did that film. That said, George had a really short fuse and could be demanding. He would push and push to get the scene right. And my character was in distress, so he'd badger me to the point where I actually wasn't acting. I hated it. Then I would see the rushes and it wasn't so bad. When I started directing my own films I used that experience as a reference for how not to treat the actors.

[1] George C. Scott directs and appears in this film instead of OTL's The Savage Is Loose.
[2] My third attempt at a non de plum for fictional film plots.
[3] Since she is involved with Elliott, her marriage to Gaetano Lisi is butterflied.

Last edited:
Airport 1975 (Universal Pictures, October 18th, 1974)
Airport 1975 (Universal Pictures, October 18th, 1974)

Directed by Jack Smight

Produced by William Frye & Jennings Lang

Screenplay by Don Ingalls

Music by John Cacavas

Cast

Charlton Heston
as Captain Alan Murdock

Faye Dunaway as Chief-Stewardess Nancy Pryor

George Kennedy as Joe Patroni

Gordon Pinsent as Captain Stacy

Joan Crawford as Herself

Susan Clark as Mrs. Patroni

Helen Reddy as Sister Ruth

Pamelyn Ferdin as Janice Abbott

Dana Andrews as Scott Freeman

Myrna Loy as Mrs. Devaney

Sid Caesar as Barney

Roy Thinnes as First Officer Urias

Ed Nelson as Major Alexander

Nancy Olson as Mrs. Abbott

Larry Storch as Purcell

Martha Scott as Sister Beatrice

Norman Fell as Bill

Jerry Stiller as Sam

Conrad Janis as Arnie

Beverly Garland as Mrs. Freeman

Augusta Summerland as Winnie

Guy Stockwell as Col. Moss

Erik Estrada as Flight Engineer Julio

Christopher Norris as Stewardess Bette

Irene Tsu as Stewardess Carol

Laurette Spang as Stewardess Arlene

Sharon Gless as Stewardess Sharon

Aldine King as Stewardess Aldine

Kip Niven as Lt. Thatcher

Austin Stoker as Air Force Sgt.

Notes From IMDB

Faye Dunaway was up against the likes of Karen Black, Sharon Tate, Farrah Fawcett, and the lesser-known Suzanne Sommers for the role of Nancy Pryor.

Several classic movie actresses turned down the chance to appear in this. Among them Greta Garbo. Gloria Swanson wanted to play herself but was tied up filming Dune. Joan Crawford was eventually cast in her final film role. Six years later, Dunaway would portray Crawford in Mommie Dearest.

Despite terrible reviews such as Pauline Kael calling the picture "Cut-rate swill produced on a TV-movie budget by mercenary businessmen", Airport 1975 still managed to be a major success at the box office and spawned two more sequels.

Less than a month before the premiere, Joan Crawford had made an appearance at the Rainbow Room in New York City opposite Rosiland Russell. Crawford was reluctant to appear in public again and unusually avoided publicity for this film, citing "health problems".

**************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Screen-Shot-2018-11-22-at-18.50.20.png

"Joan Crawford allegedly referred to me as a 'dirty hippie' but her dislike of me was not gay-related. Had I shown up in a suit looking like an astronaut she probably would have loved me."

June 2020: Harris Walker and Sam Westwood are doing a live stream on Harris' Instagram for fans from their Vancouver home where they are isolating during COVID-19. This is during part of the stream where Airport 1975 and Faye Dunaway are both brought up.

Harris: We distance. And we have things dropped off here. We're both in our 70's now, we have to be careful.

Harris is looking at the comments section

Harris: I just turned 70 this year, yes.

Sam sees another comment and starts to chuckle

Sam: It's not like 'Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?', I promise.

Harris: I don't have Sam tied up in bed starving to death.

Sam is still chuckling

Sam: It's the opposite. He's become quite a good cook and has fattened me up. I have to tighten up my workout routine. Well as much as one can at my age.

Sam: I had a project that was canceled, so instead, I did a trio of videos for 'Variety' breaking down my career. I haven't shut myself up, but I've had to work from home.

Harris: I had a bunch of public appearances planned. It's been 45 years since 'Rocky Horror'. Whatever was left turned into interviews from home. And I can still do my podcast with Nolan from home. Usually, we do it together though because it gives me a chance to spend time with him.

Sam: Somebody just mentioned that they heard the podcast you and Nolan did about disaster movies. You mentioned 'Rocky Horror' fandom and how other films, including disaster movies, had similar fandoms.

Harris: They did. As I mentioned in the podcast, there was a scene in the movie Outrageous where a drag queen mentions wanting to dress up as Faye Dunaway in 'Airport '75'. I remember Queens dressing up as Joan Crawford as well. Had Faye Dunaway embraced the camp aspects of her films more, she might have had a longer career. Sam, you recently told a story about Faye Dunaway that you had kept hidden.

Sam: Yeah. Faye Dunaway was adamant that I was going to play the love interest in 'Mommie Dearest', never mind that I was completely wrong for the part. I'd already been warned not to mention 'Airport '75.' That she got angry if you discussed her campier roles.

Harris: Of which I was a fan (laughs)

Sam: Harris loved those movies. I thought they were terrible, but he tells me it's what makes them enjoyable.

Harris: It is!

Sam: I sat down to meet with Faye and Frank Perry, the director, over lunch. Faye was really trying to push me into taking the role. I'd come up with a reason as to why I was wrong for it, and she'd counter with a reason why I was right for the role.

Harris: As someone who actually briefly worked with Joan Crawford, Faye sounded a lot like Joan.

Sam: I didn't know Joan so I won't vouch. I respected Frank Perry's work, so I put up with it and considered just taking the role to work with him. Then I heard Faye refer to her assistant as a "little homosexual boy". I just knew it was going to be a situation I did not want to be part of. So I finally cut Faye Dunaway off, told her and Frank Perry thank you, but that I was taking another project. Then I got up, paid my bill, and left.

Harris: Joan Crawford allegedly referred to me as a 'dirty hippie' but her dislike of me was not gay-related. Had I shown up in a suit looking like an astronaut she probably would have loved me.

Sam: She was well known to have gay friends but her crowd came off as very old fashioned and affluent.

Harris: Yeah. I mean Elizabeth Taylor and I were inseparable, but Elizabeth was easier going than Joan. Joan's brief time on the 'House Of The Seven Gables' set was not easy. I didn't dress up for table reads and showed up in bell-bottoms and a jean jacket and probably a shark tooth necklace or something and she had this I'm guessing Chanel suit and gloves on and looked about ready to die when she saw me. She should have been relieved my hair was freshly cut and I'd shaved that day and scrubbed my nails. (laughs)

Sam: I don't know maybe there was a dress etiquette for table reads?

Harris: We weren't together at the time, but if there was, you'd have let me know.

Sam nods and chuckles.

Harris: Despite our mutual dislike, I thought it was backhanded later on for Faye Dunaway, who had pretended to be friends with Joan at the end of her life to turn around and do 'Mommie Dearest'. I wouldn't want someone I'd considered a friend starring in an unflattering movie about me.

Sam: That was another turn-off. Something else that disgusted me about showbiz. People were willing to throw each other off the bus for a juicy role. I didn't like George C. Scott but wouldn't make an unflattering movie about him.

Harris: That's the movie you don't discuss. We all have one. Or several in my case. (laughs)

Sam: I don't say a lot out of respect to Campbell, his son. But George pushed people too hard. Tina Louise has talked about hating his guts until she was nominated. It finally got her away from just being Ginger Grant.

Harris: She also said you couldn't pay her enough to work with him again.

Sam: True (chuckles)

Last edited:
I had a footnote about Outrageous! but it accidentally got deleted from my final draft. The film was a Canadian movie from 1977 starring Craig Russell who was a famous drag performer at the time. In the film, he has a friend who is mentally ill. It's one of the first movies to have a positive portrayal of both camps. It's a precursor to the LGBTQ+ movies you see today. There is one scene where Karen Black in Airport 1975 is discussed. ITTL, it's switched to Faye Dunaway. Black still does Nashville which I imagine had a following ITTL as well.

ITTL, Does Gordon Pinsent have a bigger Hollywood career?
Funny cos I was just listening to an interview with him c,1978, where he ruminates on his life out there. And about how much he hated it.

Been busy with personal stuff and am doing a very rare guest piece for someone right now. Next post will be a real "disaster" if you know what I mean. Heard it might have something called Sensurround included.

Prelude to an Earthquake
"The main issue in pre-production was casting. Earthquake had the unfortunate disposition of being in production at Universal the same time 20th Century Fox and Warner Brothers were teaming up for The Towering Inferno. With a lot of big stars being snapped up for the latter film, Universal was at a loss for names. Charlton Heston, who had previously appeared in Airport 1975 was unavailable. George Peppard was considered, but his career was on a downward spiral fueled by a sex scandal two years prior. [1]
A coup of sorts was scored when Sharon Tate signed on to play the role of Denise Marshall, but a big-name leading man was needed to head the picture. The situation would resolve itself when one of the biggest stars in Hollywood walked away from the latest Peter Bogdonavich production and was now available--" [2]

-Nolan Hendricks, from a 2014 essay on Earthquake posted on his personal film blog.

From a cassette tape belonging to the archive of Nolan Hendricks. This one is labeled 'Sam Westwood, 1990'.

Nolan:
You worked with a lot of old-guard directors.

Sam: I did, yeah. Harris did a couple of films for Altman, though. If we are talking about the New Hollywood directors.

Harris: Yeah, but mostly Altman.

Nolan: Art Ericson had some notable movies.

Harris: Yeah but Art had a huge crush on me and was constantly trying to get me in his films. Art will tell you that.

Nolan: But Sam, you worked with Art too.

Sam: After Art calmed down and we all got to be friendly. And then I wound up in the worst movie Art ever made. Which was not Art's fault. That was because Riklis got involved.

Anyway, I was given the script for a Bogdanovich movie. Was thrilled until it turned out to be a musical.

Harris is heard laughing

Nolan: That's mean, Harris!

Harris: I heard Sam singing, he was actually considering doing this film and I ran into the room thinking he was in distress.

Sam: True story. I was too embarrassed to hire a vocal coach because I was afraid of the reaction. I cannot sing.

Sam chuckles. Harris is still laughing

Harris: I'm sorry. I shouldn't--It wasn't funny-- (Harris calms down)

It wasn't funny when I thought Sam was in distress. I ran in panicking and there he was singing along to a Cole Porter record.

Sam: That was-- (Sam pauses)

You know
, the title escapes me.

Harris: 'At Long Last Love'. That movie was a piece of s***.

Nolan: Is it really as bad as people say? I can't even find a bootleg copy.

Harris: I read someplace that Bogdanovich had all the copies destroyed after it tanked but Sam has said that's not true.

Sam: It's not. A reliable source knows someone who owns a negative and used to have these terrible movie nights. Apparently they'd sit and crack jokes while the movie was playing.

Nolan: Kind of sounds like this show I've watched called 'Mystery Science Theatre 3000'.

Harris: I know that show! Apparently they wanted to use 'Kiss My Firm But Pliant Lips' for an episode. They couldn't track it down.

Nolan: I watched a bootleg copy once.

Harris: Don't remind me. You know I lied about my age making that. Metro probably buried it--

[1] Peppard was cleared (see link), but I'm going in a different direction now with my TL.

[2] Apparently Bogdanovich himself almost starred in this, the film in question before another actor stepped in. Trailer here.

Last edited:
Burt Reynold in Earthquake.
God that will make a barely watchable movie , unwatchable .
I wonder how bad Earthquake will do and how it will hurt his career.
Remember he has not done Smokey and the Bandit yet. That what raised him to top stardom .

I have gone with Clint Eastwood.
Or you could have had Steve McQueen or Paul Newman as the lead.

Burt Reynold in Earthquake.
God that will make a barely watchable movie , unwatchable .
I wonder how bad Earthquake will do and how it will hurt his career.
Remember he has not done Smokey and the Bandit yet. That what raised him to top stardom .

I have gone with Clint Eastwood.
Or you could have had Steve McQueen or Paul Newman as the lead.
Well when you do your own timeline, you can use those actors for it. :)

At least I'm not using Ava Gardner, be glad for that.

Last edited:
I'm still trying to wrap my head around Burt Reynolds in a 30's style musical. It's just such a complete mental disconnect for me.