Russia might just want to snatch some pieces of Ah depending on how things go in the aftermath...
While it is quite popular to give Russia Galicia in AH breakup scenarios, doing so is somewhat risky. Eastern Galicia was a hotbed of Ukrainian nationalism, which had many supporters and financiers even in highest Vienese circles. Russia would essentially be risking such sentiments being much more easily spread across the rest of Ukraine.

The Polish part is even worse. Poles of the Monarchy had a rather fun role of often providing swing votes in Vienna, and holding relatively strong pollitical possition overall. In Russia, their power would mostly evaporate. And again, you are increasing the threat of nationalism within Russia's own borders.

There are also the jews and... yeah they might well be the most virulently anti-Russian group in the region.

Still, the land is good and rich, so Russia might go for it anyway. Or perhaps some sort of Manchuria-style puppet state.

Hmm, I didn't even think about the United States maintaining the newly built military-industrial complex and making boatloads of moolah off of postwar arms sales to other countries. Idk why because I am well aware that OTL USA is #1 in arms dealing.

kham_coc

Banned
While it is quite popular to give Russia Galicia in AH breakup scenarios, doing so is somewhat risky. Eastern Galicia was a hotbed of Ukrainian nationalism, which had many supporters and financiers even in highest Vienese circles. Russia would essentially be risking such sentiments being much more easily spread across the rest of Ukraine.

The Polish part is even worse. Poles of the Monarchy had a rather fun role of often providing swing votes in Vienna, and holding relatively strong pollitical possition overall. In Russia, their power would mostly evaporate. And again, you are increasing the threat of nationalism within Russia's own borders.

There are also the jews and... yeah they might well be the most virulently anti-Russian group in the region.

Still, the land is good and rich, so Russia might go for it anyway. Or perhaps some sort of Manchuria-style puppet state.
Sure but I think independent Galizia-Volhynia would be worse - It would after all still be a hotbed of Ukrainian nationalism, and now they could export it independently.

There is a part of me that think this could be a rare 'victory' for the UK too - It's only their action (guarantees) that keeps it independent, (they think) meanwhile the Russians in charge are just like no touchy on Europe in general (the CEW should have scared them shitless considering the paucity of their armies compared to the Germans, and their industry in particular) and its only afterwards they realize that A; G-V would definitively have been easier to manage inside the Empire, B; the time to incorporate it was then, because now it's not a good idea unless you want to spark CEW 2: Russia edition - Which win or lose, is a bad idea, Because ultimately it's a German victory in that G-V is allied to Germany (The Irony amuses me).

I can just imagine the Chapters on the then UK goverment holding G-V up as their only victory, and then later scholarship basically saying: It was actually a German victory too.

Last edited:

Galicia is a problem for Russia whether inside or outside its borders, fully agreed
Now we need to see how's Austrian Domestic situation is current at the begining of 1916 and whether sny significant developements have occured or not to see whether Russia could annex European Galicia.
There’s been a decent bit of Austrian content, particularly aimed at the Hungarian dynamic
Hmm, I didn't even think about the United States maintaining the newly built military-industrial complex and making boatloads of moolah off of postwar arms sales to other countries. Idk why because I am well aware that OTL USA is #1 in arms dealing.
Yep haha
Sure but I think independent Galizia-Volhynia would be worse - It would after all still be a hotbed of Ukrainian nationalism, and now they could export it independently.

There is a part of me that think this could be a rare 'victory' for the UK too - It's only their action (guarantees) that keeps it independent, (they think) meanwhile the Russians in charge are just like no touchy on Europe in general (the CEW should have scared them shitless considering the paucity of their armies compared to the Germans, and their industry in particular) and its only afterwards they realize that A; G-V would definitively have been easier to manage inside the Empire, B; the time to incorporate it was then, because now it's not a good idea unless you want to spark CEW 2: Russia edition - Which win or lose, is a bad idea, Because ultimately it's a German victory in that G-V is allied to Germany (The Irony amuses me).

I can just imagine the Chapters on the then UK goverment holding G-V up as their only victory, and then later scholarship basically saying: It was actually a German victory too.
The crux of Russia’s postwar conundrum here

Not likely that any successor state that has control over Galicia would be able to hold on to it for long. Hungary and the Czech republic would be too weak to resist Russia. Most likely scenario would be a protectorate. Though it’s possible the Russians might extend their influence into Hungary, Romania as well as Serbia and the Czech Republic. They may wish to extend their defensive perimeter not only because Pan Slavists want to integrate fellow Slavs but also to provide more buffer space with Germany.

There’s been a decent bit of Austrian content, particularly aimed at the Hungarian dynamic
I know that there has been Austrian content, especially regarding Hungary, But we havent seen any Austrian content since what... last thread.
Lost of things could happen in 6 months...

Last edited:
The United States rebuilds Maryland using the arms that will both destroy *and* defend Belgium. The idea of US weaponry being used on *both* sides seems quite realistic.

Which reminds me, did the US use any weaponry *not* produced in the US during the war? I could imagine it being bought (from the British?) and used in the first Winter when they were quickly going through weaponry in defense of the Susquehanna until the armaments industry got going...

As an additional note, with the Naval battles over, the Haitians might be able to volunteer to fight in the coming Spring.

If anyone is curious how the US gets out of its 1917-20 postwar malaise, well… *points at this post*

Also why Democrats are later glad to win 1920 rather than 1916’s poisoned chalice
The problem for France are twofold:

- money: OTL a lot of their war effort was supported by the British in financial terms https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-French_Financial_Commission...unless the USA is enough cash starved that decide that collateral are not that important in that case and can give unsecured loan or accept IOU for the weapons and others material, but this open another pandora box after the war is ended; on the other side Germany OTL basically was forced to finance the war internally, so we know that she can do also ITTL.
- delivery: we all remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_U-boat_campaign_of_World_War_I and ITTL it's basically the French Navy alone and they must divide their attention between face the Germans in the North, fight Regia Marina in the Med and keep an eye at the UK.
On the other side the Germans (and Italians) have the advantages that the UK is nearer and is inclined to support more them than Paris.

Regarding USA, UK and Russia 'winning' the war, well sure they will be in a much better position of OTL (at least Russia and the UK) but on the other side the war will be less destructive of OTL WWI as there are less nation involved and lasted less and will leave Germany the effective ruler of the continent with people in Moscow and London starting to need their brown pants ASAP

kham_coc

Banned

- money: OTL a lot of their war effort was supported by the British in financial terms https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-French_Financial_Commission...unless the USA is enough cash starved that decide that collateral are not that important in that case and can give unsecured loan or accept IOU for the weapons and others material, but this open another pandora box after the war is ended; on the other side Germany OTL basically was forced to finance the war internally, so we know that she can do also ITTL.
- delivery: we all remember https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlantic_U-boat_campaign_of_World_War_I and ITTL it's basically the French Navy alone and they must divide their attention between face the Germans in the North, fight Regia Marina in the Med and keep an eye at the UK.
On the other side the Germans (and Italians) have the advantages that the UK is nearer and is inclined to support more them than Paris.

Regarding USA, UK and Russia 'winning' the war, well sure they will be in a much better position of OTL (at least Russia and the UK) but on the other side the war will be less destructive of OTL WWI as there are less nation involved and lasted less and will leave Germany the effective ruler of the continent with people in Moscow and London starting to need their brown pants ASAP
In regards to money, the US would presumably be somewhat interested in the French possessions in the new world, Miquelon, St-Barthelemy, and Guyana.
While possession of some or all of them wouldn't be contrary to spoilers, there is nothing that says that they do keep them either (for those who don't know, France will emerge with no colonial empire absent Algeria, and spend the next few decades hard at work keeping it, because it's all that remains of french pride). But just as OTL France has kept a bunch of islands, ITTL France could still keep those islands, and no-one would really think it's an 'Empire', or they could be collateral for loans that won't be repaid. And I'm certain that other states would be interested in other possessions, though I think a lot of it is more likely to be lost to opportunistic action. I don't see Japan paying for Taiwan F.E - There would be some delicious irony if Japan effectively stumbles un-intentionally into a viable action plan in regards to pan-Asianism through sheer opportunism in Indo-China - Why yes, our naked landgrab of French colonies was no such thing, it was liberation!

Delivery though, I don't think that's an issue at all really.
The UK is going to be insistent on keeping the sea-lanes open, and presumably be very opposed to any force crossing the Channel, which means that the merchantmen sail to the UK, thus being hard to intercept. It's only after they leave the UK that they become viable targets, but since the Channel is probably off limits, neither the North sea or the French Atlantic coast are easy targets to reach. So while some Cruiser warfare could be employed in the north Atlantic, I think not as much as you would think, and submarine warfare only very close to the combatants strength, and not really in their sea-lanes. No, the focal point of any naval war is likely going to be in the Mediterranean, and possibly in the Indo-pacific region.

Last edited:
In regards to money, the US would presumably be somewhat interested in the French possessions in the new world, Miquelon, St-Barthelemy, and Guyana.
The USA need money and lot of it, honestly at this stage after this kind of massacrare and with their current economic situation, they probably don't give a damn about the French possession and want/need cold hard cash...or at least the promise of it

kham_coc

Banned
The USA need money and lot of it, honestly at this stage after this kind of massacrare and with their current economic situation, they probably don't give a damn about the French possession and want/need cold hard cash...or at least the promise of it
Yes, but I could see France putting it up as collateral, and then defaulting, not what the US wants, but what they get.

On Gallica , this is going to sound a bit bizarre in this day but partition could work as a solution as a stop gap idea for Russia.

By that say Hungary get's a piece, Slovaks get a piece, maybe even Romania ect while Russia works on it's pacification of the chunk they either see as most valuable or just easiest to control and give up on the rest just focusing convicting it's Ukrainian population they are their best bet.

This way you satisfy whatever calls for protecting Orthodox/taking back at what once was Rus, have at least some partners who A will crackdown on any nationalism and B weak enough if they try to use it on there own won't amount to much and C begin to the project of reinforcing the border region. Plus the threat of Galicia being a piedmont of Ukrainian and Polish nationalism well like Piedmont it being big enough area for being state to emerge as a fulcrum of nationalism. If Galicia is say cut by 1/2 by Hungary, Russia takes 1/4 and the remaining parts are seize by another party it will be a weaker possibility.

It does have it's issues but for a couple reasons think Russia at least would need a plan for the CEW, mainly as AH by the sound of it going to get crushed and one place Ruthenian refuges and the small but real pro Russian party will flee across the border and they could serve be useful.

Edit That or pull a Crimea and Ottomans and just drain it of potential subjects as in Pro Russian party and encourage Orthodox Ruthenia's to settle in Russia as loyal subjects and try to build a divide

Last edited:
La Politique Mondiale: Poincaré, France and the Waltz of the Great Powers
"...only consolation was that the Malcolm-Jagow Convention was not a formal, explicit bilateral military alliance; otherwise, it was a complete and utter diplomatic disaster that to the Quai d'Orsay in one stroke upended forty years of strategic planning and thinking.

The public terms were bad enough. Even before territorial claims were addressed, London enjoyed essentially acquiescence on the high seas by Berlin to her strategic projects. The Germans agreed that the British Empire "and her Dominions" enjoyed "a clear and permanent strategic interest in the fair and open continuance of commerce in the world's strategic waterways." In the text of the Convention, this was explicitly deemed to refer to the Straits of Malacca to which the German ally of Siam was closely placed as well as an Isthmian canal in the Americas; Germany of course was a junior financial partner in the Nicaragua Canal and was economically dominant over Costa Rica on its south shore. To French eyes, however, these clauses could very easily imply that Germany perhaps supported a British-led Isthmian project across Panama where France had for nearly thirty years repeatedly failed [1] and possibly even British interests in the Suez Canal. It got worse from there, as the Convention moved past formalizing each country's claims in Asia and the Pacific Islands (though conspicuously left spheres of influence within China proper vague) on to dividing up Portuguese Africa, which Germany corroborated as Britain's collateral for Portugal's substantial sovereign debt.

Britain of course enjoyed a power dynamic vis a vis Portugal where if they simply wanted to seize Portuguese Africa, they could do it; that was not London's preferred approach, however, and so the 1916 Portuguese bankruptcy with German diplomatic cover proved the excuse they needed to execute their designs. Portugal would be deigned allowed to keep their claims in West Africa in Guinea, the Cape Verde Islands, the Sao Tome Islands, and their protectorate over the Kingdom of Cabinda as well as the hinterland of Loanda, demarcated on north and south by the Loge and Longa Rivers and extending approximately two hundred kilometers inland. This was to be all that was left of the once-vast Portuguese Austral-Africa in Lisbon's hands; the rest was divided between Germany and Britain, with the Kafue and Luapula Rivers serving as the approximate dividing line, Germany absorbing all territories to the west of this line and north of the Zambezi, and Britain absorbing the territory to its east. [2] This meant that Britain wound up with about sixty percent of Portugal's holdings in southern Africa with Germany taking on the other forty, and meant too that Britain now finally had her "Red Shore" of territory stretching from Italian Somaliland to Delagoa Bay on the Indian Ocean and Germany had doubled the size of their Sud-West Afrika colony while adding considerably more fertile land to it than the harsh Namib Desert. Germany agreed to abandon its Rovumaland colony that had previously buffered British East Africa from Portuguese Niassaland, while Britain finally as part of the convention transferred the small but strategically-placed island of Heligoland in the North Sea into German hands, ending one of the longest-running diplomatic disputes between London and Berlin. [3]

The terms of the treaty sparked outrage in Portugal, and it seemed like the country might genuinely plunge into revolution after the reaction was so harsh that Carlos I felt obliged to abdicate in favor of his more popular son, Dom Luis Filipe, who took the name Luis II in honor of his grandfather. That was not entirely what bothered French policymakers, however; it had long been assumed that Portugal's fiscal instability and infamous inability to properly defend her interests in territory that was painted pink only on maps [4] would eventually end with much of Austral-Africa in Brititsh hands. No, what stunned Paleologue and his advisors so was that Britain had agreed with Germany to divvy up Africa between the two of them and done so in a sophisticated way that clearly benefited each in its own way. Germany now had a colony placed not in the least appealing part of Africa, taking "table scraps" as it had been known, but rather now sat on the southern flank of the Congo Free State and enjoyed the potential but often-untapped mineral riches of the former Kingdom of Katanga, which Belgium had long coveted but had avoided provoking Portugal over. Between the vastness of the new German South-West Africa and the Kamerun colony that had caused such controversy in the prior yeras in the Ubangi-Shari Dispute, Germany now controlled the majority of the central African coast south of the Guinean Bight and sandwiched precarious French colonies in the same region such as Libreville and Brazzaville, and thus directly threatened French access to its equatorial holdings in the interior.

Britain, too, had totally rebalanced the scales in Africa. No longer was its lonely outpost at mosquito-ridden Isla Inhaca at the entrance to Delagoa Bay its main source of power projection in the southern Indian Ocean; it now enjoyed Lourenco Marques, the established Portuguese port that had along with tiny Oosterburg been one of the few outlets for the United Free Republics that did not depend on Natal or the Cape, thus totally enveloping the Boer states and their allied kingdoms and making them economic dependencies. The Matabeleland and Shire Highland regions, known for their rich farmland and potential gold reserves, were now also in British hands and forever foreclosed upon potential Boer expansion northwards. Britain's long-standing geopolitical aim - to prevent another power from enjoying free range of access to the Indian Ocean after France's possession of the Suez Canal - had finally been achieved, a true accomplishment for Ian Malcolm, a Foreign Minister of little other accomplishment. Britain appeared at the time to have come out ahead, though the realization of the true extent of staggering mineral wealth in Katanga and then the discovery of oil off of the central African coast eventually made clear that it was Germany that had benefitted in the long run from Portugal's stumble. [5]

The massive absorption of new territory was hugely popular in Britain and Germany, in the former as a boon to the flailing government of Hugh Cecil that was faced with twin crises in Ireland and India that persistently refused to go away, and in the latter that now was able to finally point at a vast colony of substance. It was conversely hugely unpopular in France, especially because it sparked fears that Britain and Germany were now pursuing ever-closer rapprochement and that Britain sought to isolate France diplomatically through its moves. This was not entirely true - Malcolm viewed parceling up southern Africa between London and Berlin as a way to maintain German support in a potential future dispute with Russia - but the trumpeting of nationalist triumph in the German press and an outburst of public Anglophilia in Germany punctuated by a successful tour by George V to Berlin, Dresden, Munich and Hamburg in the second half of 1916 did much to stoke that impression, as did rumors from the Deuxieme Bureau's spies in London (including the mistress of a senior Foreign Office civil servant who "leaked like a sieve") that the Convention perhaps included secret clauses where Britain pledged to remain neutral in the event of a German conflict with France and Austria, provided that Germany remained neutral in a conflict between Britain and Russia. While no such clauses were ever revealed, French strategic thinking presumed them and thus required a new level of bellicosity to persuade Germany that there would be a huge price to be paid even if Berlin (wrongly) assumed British support.

Secret clauses that didn't exist notwithstanding and strategic realities shaken overseas, the biggest problem for Poincaré was that it embarrassed French nationalists and thus had to embarrass him if he wanted to keep his job. The increasingly irrelevant Ligue in particular was apoplectic, adamant that in the day of the Petit-Aigle and Georges Boulanger, Germany in particular would never have dared collude with Britain at France's expense to seize such a vast corner of Africa, but now in the time of the Petit-Colombe and Poincaré, the Second Empire's two greatest strategic rivals could essentially do as they please with little more than loud protests from Paris. Ironically, the Anglo-German Convention arguably isolated its two signatories more than it isolated France, as it was (not unfairly) viewed in other European capitals as London and Berlin beating up on a prone, poor, defenseless junior state. Italy in particular viewed it as carte blanche to pursue her own interests in the Balkans and maybe even North Africa more openly, while Russian diplomats very deliberately informed their British counterparts that they were uninterested in hearing about British "concerns" regarding their influence in Persia and Afghanistan ever again. But such nuance was lost on Poincaré and his closets collaborators, who were already feeling politically fragile after their poorly-advised decision to call snap elections the previous autumn, and now there was a newfound necessity to underwriting their political fortunes with more openly Germanophobic belligerence - because, quite simply, it was popular with the French public and its conservative elite alike..."

- La Politique Mondiale: Poincaré, France and the Waltz of the Great Powers

[1] Hat tip to @Devoid for this idea
[2] So, roughly, Germany is getting most of OTL Angola, Katanga Province in Congo (which ITTL was controlled by Portugal, though "control" is a loose term), and the western half or so of Zambia. Zimbabwe, eastern Zambia, Malawi and all of Mozambique just became British.
[3] As in OTL, the Royal Navy finds the island of little use to them, but Germany is way more paranoid about a potential naval base that close to the Kiel Canal than the RN is actually interested in placing one there, and so it's a cheap sweetener for London to get Rovumaland instead.
[4] Hehe
[5] Granted I'm not sure exactly when Angola's oil bonanza was struck, and much of it is nearest to Cabinda and Loanda, which of course are still in Portuguese hands.

Not likely that any successor state that has control over Galicia would be able to hold on to it for long. Hungary and the Czech republic would be too weak to resist Russia. Most likely scenario would be a protectorate. Though it’s possible the Russians might extend their influence into Hungary, Romania as well as Serbia and the Czech Republic. They may wish to extend their defensive perimeter not only because Pan Slavists want to integrate fellow Slavs but also to provide more buffer space with Germany.
Galicia being a bit in the way and institutional memories of 1848 probably prevent too much Russian sway in Hungary; Czechia/Bohemia, its hard to say.
But if Germany knows this, would Germany even allow the annexatiin of Gallicia?
Why would Germany allow a country that didn't participate in the war to even come barging in annexing things, anyways?

While possession of some or all of them wouldn't be contrary to spoilers, there is nothing that says that they do keep them either (for those who don't know, France will emerge with no colonial empire absent Algeria, and spend the next few decades hard at work keeping it, because it's all that remains of french pride). But just as OTL France has kept a bunch of islands, ITTL France could still keep those islands, and no-one would really think it's an 'Empire', or they could be collateral for loans that won't be repaid. And I'm certain that other states would be interested in other possessions, though I think a lot of it is more likely to be lost to opportunistic action. I don't see Japan paying for Taiwan F.E - There would be some delicious irony if Japan effectively stumbles un-intentionally into a viable action plan in regards to pan-Asianism through sheer opportunism in Indo-China - Why yes, our naked landgrab of French colonies was no such thing, it was liberation!

Delivery though, I don't think that's an issue at all really.
The UK is going to be insistent on keeping the sea-lanes open, and presumably be very opposed to any force crossing the Channel, which means that the merchantmen sail to the UK, thus being hard to intercept. It's only after they leave the UK that they become viable targets, but since the Channel is probably off limits, neither the North sea or the French Atlantic coast are easy targets to reach. So while some Cruiser warfare could be employed in the north Atlantic, I think not as much as you would think, and submarine warfare only very close to the combatants strength, and not really in their sea-lanes. No, the focal point of any naval war is likely going to be in the Mediterranean, and possibly in the Indo-pacific region.
At minimum, a US with much bigger debts clawing its way back out of postwar malaise is going to be much less likely to lend much to France, which creates needs for self-financing in Paris (of course thanks to the stronger Second Empire, France has more ability to do so)

And yeah, if the RN was firm about sea lane inviolability in the GAW, they'll probably maintain a similar stance in the CEW, especially considering how important continental markets still were to them

So the stage is being set for a a symphony that will devastate Europe.

That said bright or dark side Germany's going to have to beat down a load of natives first to get these regions under control as Portugal struggled with that a bit.

"...wrote that 'the Central European War may have been mostly contested in Europe, but in many ways it was not entirely about Europe.' This adage especially applies to the rivalry between France and Germany, which was as much about which of the two would financially, politically and militarily dominate west-central Europe but also who would extend that domination to challenge Britain, Russia and increasingly the United States on the world stage. In this view, French paranoia and German ambition - or French ambition and German paranoia - delivered a conflagration that consumed the continent for nearly three bloody, brutal years, but ironically many of the things that delivered the final detonation flowed an accumulation of events on the periphery of both powers.

This particular volume of this study of the Central European War has already covered in detail events such as the Monegasque Crisis of 1912, the Revolutions of 1912, the Budapest Congress of 1913, the deteriorating relationship between Vienna and Budapest and the parallel Italian ambitions in the Balkans vis a vis Greece, all in the shadow of Britain's declining influence and Russia's continued choice to remain focused on consolidating her Central and East Asian empire, both internally and externally. Most of these crises, however, with the partial exception of Monaco, did not directly involve a bilateral dispute between France and Germany that could directly threaten the fraying Grand Detente forged by Napoleon V and Friedrich III and tentatively maintained by their heirs in the years since both had died. The Anglo-German Convention of 1916 changed all that, irreversibly, as Germany's imperial advantage became completely impossible to ignore.

The chaotic governments of Portugal are beyond the remit of this volume, but the small, poor Iberian state had for a quarter-century by early 1916 pirouetted from unstable government to unstable government, with Cabinets frequently appointed based on the Prime Minister's proximity to King Carlos I and heavily dependent upon a handful of core statesmen of the Progressist and Regenerator parties, which were both monarchist but agreed on little else. Republican and socialist movements had captured the imaginations of the urban intelligentsia in Lisbon and Porto, while in rural communities the Catholic Church maintained perhaps a tighter vice than anywhere else in Europe save Galicia and certain communities in western Ireland. By 1916, most of the experienced statesmen of the Kingdom of Portugal who had rotated the Premiership amongst themselves at the behest of Carlos I had died, leaving a younger, less tenured generation to take their place, and many of the more credible names in that cadre would pass during the decade as well. In late 1915, Carlos I tapped Admiral Francisco Ferreira as Prime Minister at the head of an independent technocratic Cabinet to solve the country's rapidly deteriorating financial situation without an eye towards partisanship or ideology; Ferreira sold off two of his beloved naval vessels to show his seriousness but it nonetheless could not solve the black hole that was corrupt Portugal's treasury. It was not merely a question of taxes and spending, which were both fairly low in early 20th century Portugal even by the less statist standards of the time, but simply the fact that the country was poor, the civil service was corrupt, and the massive African colonial empire produced too little income to justify its own existence. Ferreira, after three months on the job, quipped that he was unable to rub two coins together to make a hundred - Portugal, having already had two small partial defaults on its external debt in the 1890s, defaulted on its entire debt load on January 11, 1916, debt owed primarily to its longtime ally the United Kingdom and to a lesser extent Germany.

While this set of events was disastrous in Portugal and for a brief moment brought the survival of the monarchy into question - Ferreira resigned on January 13, followed by the abdication of Carlos I in favor of his considerably more popular son Luis Filipe I after the Anglo-German Convention in early February - its impact would reverberate throughout Europe. That Portugal had been avoiding bankruptcy and hanging onto its vast "Austral-Africa" holdings by the skin of its teeth for close to two decades had not been a secret in Europe and many powers had coveted the land, despite the increasingly expensive nature of colonialism at that time, but it was well known that Britain, as owner of the bulk of Portuguese debt, would have first choice of absorbing much of that land. The expectation in other European capitals, though, had been that a Congress would be called to resolve the matter eventually, even if it was resolved in Britain's favor.

Not so. Britain had long maintained secret agreements with Germany to consult them first in the event of a Portuguese default and the African territories becoming "available," and Foreign Secretary Ian Malcolm met with his German counterpart, Gottlieb von Jagow, in Hamburg to finalize the contours of the long-discussed, long-secret negotiations that both sides had tentatively agreed to in principle as far back as the Joseph Chamberlain years. The Anglo-German Convention of 1916 thus was not a secret treaty dropped upon Europe from on high, but rather the culmination of years of negotiations regarding spheres of influence in the Americas, Africa and Asia as well as Europe, and formalized and finalized longstanding principles and interests shared by both states. Critically, it was pointedly not a military alliance, to Germany's dismay, but it did very definitively close most of the disputes Britain had with Germany, and simultaneously emboldened Germany in Europe and overseas and terrified France and Austria alike..." [1]

- The Central European War

[1] The next update will cover the terms of the Anglo-German Convention and the howls of anger from Paris when it is disseminated
Didn't see that coming. OTL projects to divide Portuguese Africa mostly failed becuse the German aggressive push for it intimidated the British, and Portugal proved surprisingly smart in navigatng through the crisis. However ITTL Germany is much more agreeable, and i like to think that the expenses of the Pink Map turned out to be a white elephant for Lisbon.