Blue Skies in Camelot (Continued): An Alternate 80s and Beyond

1. The following is a list of Italy's Prime Ministers ITTL (1962 - Present [1979])
Amintore Fanfani (DC) Feb. 1962 - June 1963
Giovanni Leone (DC) June 1963 - December 1963
Aldo Moro (DC) December 1963 - June 1968
Giovanni Leone (DC) June 1968 - December 1968
Mariano Rumor (DC) December 1968 - August 1970
Emilio Colombo (DC) August 1970 - February 1972
Giulio Andreotti (DC) February 1972 - July 1973
Mariano Rumor (DC) July 1973 - November 1974
Aldo Moro (DC) November 1974 - Present [Jan. 1979]

The biggest change for Italy from OTL is that following the "Historic Compromise" brokered by Aldo Moro and the country's communist party, the Kennedy Doctrine meant that the United States endorsed his coalition government, made up of his own Christian Democrats and with broad support from across the country's left and center wings. Now in his second premiership, Moro, widely seen as one of the greatest leaders in modern Italian history, is leading efforts at reform. His long tenure in Rome has also had the added benefit of bringing a great deal of stability to the country. Only time will tell if his unique coalition holds, of course. But his personal popularity and strong legislative acumen have gone a long way.
Wait, so the existence of the Sinistra Unita and prime minister Pertini (you wrote in the old part of the timeline) has been retconned away, right? I can perfectly understand that a "great coalition" of the DC, PCI, PSI, PSDI, PRI, and PLI will give you a big majority but I think that Aldo Moro had several governments in the 70s instead of just one government. I however think that in 1981 the government will more than likely be headed by someone else than Moro, maybe De Mita or maybe even Spadoli (the first non-DC prime minister instead of OTL Craxi), than in the mid-80s maybe Craxi or his most likely successor Giorgio Benvenuto or even the PCI (more than likely headed by Napolitano after the death of Berlinguer).
The PSI will more than likely be weaker than in OTL (8-10% instead of OTL 13-15%) and would ally itself with the PSDI. It is also likely that the more right-wing part of the DC headed by Forlani and the PLI headed by Raffaele Costa e Giancarlo Galan will secede and form new parties and possibly ally with the MSI: maybe something like Unione Democratica Cristiana (Cristian democratic union) and Movimento Liberista Italiano (Liberal Movement).
Same thing with the more left part of the PCI headed by Natta and Cossutta that will form something like OTL Rifondazione Comunista (Communist Refoundation Party).
The PCI will more than likely have only a few ministers but be given the presidency of the Senate while the DC will head the Presidency of the Parliament.
Moro is also likely to be elected president in 1985 after Pertini.
Regarding Berlusconi, I think that with a weaker PSI the OTL Television Decree that allowed him to broadcast programs in all regions will not pass and will lead to him remaining a marginal figure in Italian politics.
In short term, I hope that OTL Ustica and Bologna massacres will be avoided.
While in the long run, I hope that TTL government will be able to avoid OTL debt explosion in the 80s (maybe it adopts the "heavy Lira" and doesn't abandon the "Scala Mobile"), combat the mafia and corruption more effectively (maybe general Carlo Alberto Dalla Chiesa doesn't die in 1982 and is able to weaken the mafia earlier than in OTL) and improve Italian infrastructure ( more nuclear powerplants, the bridge over the Messina Strait and the flood defense system in Venice).

Further Answers to Further Inquiries
If you’re going to ask me geniuses, I want this for Philippine Presidents and Vice Presidents ITTL. This is what would I call the best case scenario for the Philippines:

Diosdado Macapagal & Emmanuel Pelaez (LP, 1961-1969)
Carlos Romulo & Fernando Lopez (NP, 1969-1977)
Jovito Salonga & Lorenzo Tañada (LP, 1977-????)
@President_Lincoln, what is your response on my suggestions for my country ITTL, is it good enough for your next chapter genius? Because I never come this far on thinking beyond my wildest dreams. Reading and learning history has been my favorite since childhood. Knowing about Alternate History is something of a surprise for me in the beginning, but started to embrace it as time goes by. When I learned about some of The Greatest Philippine Presidents We Never Had, it really broadens my knowledge and understanding on what could've been for our country from that day on. Then I started watching videos from Whatifalthist and AlternateHistoryHub on YouTube. It was during this year that I watched the 3-Part AlternateHistoryHub's Iceberg Edition that I found and learned your alternate timeline. From the short summary that I've heard, he said it was the best case scenario of the decade. Even in actuality, things might probably not changed even if President Kennedy is alive. I don't care what he says that things might not changed everything, I care because I want to live in this timeline that you made. Like I said earlier before, I started to read this alternate timeline of yours and you gave me all of the emotions that I never felt in my life. As I read this, I was waiting for our country to be mentioned ITTL but nothing yet. When I started to give you message about this, I was already thinking, giving suggestions, and planning a possible scenario on what would be our different life ITTL. I'm still here waiting for our chapter and hope to have us a better life ITTL. And for that, I wanted to say again thank you for welcoming me and being part in your family. We may have faced dark times in our lives, but you gave me again the light of hope that I received in my life. You made a difference genius, and I mean it! From the Philippines, I wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! See you next year geniuses!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well!

I liked many of your suggestions, and plan to incorporate a lot of them into the Philippines Chapter when I get around to writing it. In the meantime, you can consider the first handful of Presidents/Vice Presidents you listed as "canon". Thank you for contributing to the timeline! It brings me great joy to know that my project here can mean so much to you.

Best wishes, my friend. :)

Welcome back Mr President!! Two questions :

1. Within TTL's GOP, is the battle between the economic moderates (Rockefeller Republicans) and the economic right still raging on ?

2. What is the current situation of America's TTL manufacturing sector ?

Thanks!

1. Yes. If you're interested in details, I just recently covered this in Chapter 119, about the 1978 Midterm Elections. In brief, TTL's GOP is still pretty "big tent" as of 1979. The Presidencies of George Romney and George Bush empowered the moderate wing of the party quite a bit. Although Reagan is seen as the frontrunner in 1980 here, his tenure as Bush's VP means he'll have to defend a more moderate record than some of his OTL views. He also won't be able to run as the "outsider" against an incumbent President.

2. As per OTL, 1979 is set to see the "peak" of manufacturing as a sector of the American economy. I believe that given macroeconomic trends post-WWII, some decline in American industry, especially the rust-belt, was inevitable. I also believe that over time, much of the US economy would shift to being more service-based.

That said, there are already numerous differences from OTL that will pay dividends for industry down the line. For example: investments in high-tech fields in places like Silicon Valley and Rochester, NY will see a "tech manufacturing" boom in the US. Expect America to be a major player in semiconductor/computer chip manufacturing earlier here, with government subsidies and support. If cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc. can shore up the immense capital needed to diversify their economies away from heavy industries (which will see more competition as the rest of the world industrializes) and toward services, tourism, and high-tech manufacturing, they should do better than they did IOTL.

A stronger nuclear power industry will also definitely help in places like West Virginia, eastern Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Nuclear plants require large, skilled workforces of operators and engineers. In addition to creating large amounts of good, well-paying jobs, the plants also create a hefty tax base, which can they be used for further government investment in the area.

Other cities in the Midwest (think Youngstown, OH, for instance) could become regional transportation hubs, turning their abandoned factories into warehouses and distribution centers. This isn't "saving" manufacturing of course. But it would help alleviate some of the economic stress that came with the inevitable downsizing.

Wait, so the existence of the Sinistra Unita and prime minister Pertini (you wrote in the old part of the timeline) has been retconned away, right? I can perfectly understand that a "great coalition" of the DC, PCI, PSI, PSDI, PRI, and PLI will give you a big majority but I think that Aldo Moro had several governments in the 70s instead of just one government. I however think that in 1981 the government will more than likely be headed by someone else than Moro, maybe De Mita or maybe even Spadoli (the first non-DC prime minister instead of OTL Craxi), than in the mid-80s maybe Craxi or his most likely successor Giorgio Benvenuto or even the PCI (more than likely headed by Napolitano after the death of Berlinguer).
The PSI will more than likely be weaker than in OTL (8-10% instead of OTL 13-15%) and would ally itself with the PSDI. It is also likely that the more right-wing part of the DC headed by Forlani and the PLI headed by Raffaele Costa e Giancarlo Galan will secede and form new parties and possibly ally with the MSI: maybe something like Unione Democratica Cristiana (Cristian democratic union) and Movimento Liberista Italiano (Liberal Movement).
Same thing with the more left part of the PCI headed by Natta and Cossutta that will form something like OTL Rifondazione Comunista (Communist Refoundation Party).
The PCI will more than likely have only a few ministers but be given the presidency of the Senate while the DC will head the Presidency of the Parliament.
Moro is also likely to be elected president in 1985 after Pertini.
Regarding Berlusconi, I think that with a weaker PSI the OTL Television Decree that allowed him to broadcast programs in all regions will not pass and will lead to him remaining a marginal figure in Italian politics.
In short term, I hope that OTL Ustica and Bologna massacres will be avoided.
While in the long run, I hope that TTL government will be able to avoid OTL debt explosion in the 80s (maybe it adopts the "heavy Lira" and doesn't abandon the "Scala Mobile"), combat the mafia and corruption more effectively (maybe general Carlo Alberto Dalla Chiesa doesn't die in 1982 and is able to weaken the mafia earlier than in OTL) and improve Italian infrastructure ( more nuclear powerplants, the bridge over the Messina Strait and the flood defense system in Venice).
Yes. I apologize for retconning the old post. I attempted to combine my new ideas with the old ones vis a vis Italy. I've decided that the new lineage of Prime Ministers works better for my vision for the country moving forward.
I agree that by 1981, the time will come for new leadership in Rome. Expect Moro to step aside in favor of a younger figure. I also hope for the same predictions for the country that you mentioned here. I will be sure to give Italy more attention in forthcoming foreign affairs updates.

Chapter 121
Chapter 121: Space Truckin’ - NASA and the Soviet Space Program after Apollo-Svarog
AyizkdWRclUWOBii4o5OJb_SQxte-ZvXahVZ9qoTDSCP_0NzfIFC-69CpIX7qRfR2U0NBJh0SIfibFBm2TQwvAinIzcfsYqUNXBXVb6d-QjmFdfwaFCU1eKwOIB8qbXOdiSNmJtgG45Zt6Zxj02fu1zHPTvzorEEqiprHGeKGGgign_7G4qUx8mr1YKlTA
1mmdwOVXOy34TqixsOTxzXRph05l8cWjGICl0WjaTp_6ypDrTDq7ZjogJHtLoGzNQF_O1K1KS0qrGi7SCzj3DGYZiFoBAPFQh1YbRmp0Hl0ogg56ApL6ngB-ZdTag8OY6mmqZrsvQtnRbwCK30WJE5JRKjy5899-3sNP8Ty4KtwAdhSAUr5Si03hFKaKfw
Above: Mission Patch for STS-1, the first of Columbia’s many missions (left); 1970 artist’s concept illustrating use of a Space Shuttle, Nuclear Shuttle, and Space Tug (right).

“Well, we had a lot of luck on Venus
We always had a ball on Mars
We’re meeting all the groovy people
We’ve rocked the Milky Way so far
We danced around the Borealis
We’re Space truckin’ round the stars

Come on, come on, come on
Let’s go Space truckin’
Space truckin’”
- “Space Truckin’” by Deep Purple

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Following the momentous achievement of landing a man and a woman on the Moon in 1969, fulfilling President Kennedy’s pledge and bringing the US and Soviet Union together in a magical moment of unity, an obvious question emerged for both superpowers’ space programs: what next?

At first, the hope on both sides of the Iron Curtain was for continued cooperation. NASA and Interkosmos agreed that lowering costs and fostering international teamwork were both laudable goals. The Apollo-Svarog Missions continued until the completion of A-S XVII in 1972. Though public interest in the space program waned somewhat following the Moon Landing, it shot up again in 1970, in the aftermath of the near disaster that was A-S XIII.

An absolute nail-biter of a situation, the proposed third lunar landing was launched from Kennedy Space Center on April 11th, 1970. The landing was aborted, however, when an oxygen tank in the service module became compromised only two days into the mission.

A routine stir of an oxygen tank ignited damaged wire insulation inside it. This caused an explosion that vented the contents of both of the service module’s oxygen tanks to space. Without oxygen, needed for breathing and for generating electric power, the SM's propulsion and life support systems were rendered inoperable. The command module’'s systems had to be shut down to conserve its remaining resources for reentry, forcing the crew to transfer to the lunar lander itself as a “lifeboat”. With the lunar landing canceled, mission controllers in Houston worked to bring the crew home alive. The incident, picked up and recorded via radio, produced the famous quote from Cosmonaut Yuri Malyshev: “Houston, we’re having problems.” In time, this would become an idiom in both English and Russian, usually employed as a sarcastic understatement of alarm.

Blessedly, some quick thinking and improvisation by both American and Soviet scientists helped to prevent disaster. The crew of A-S XIII returned to earth on April 17th, safe and sound.

Following the completion of A-S XVII, the two superpowers laid the groundwork for plans to create an “International Space Station”. This project, it was hoped, would continue scientific cooperation, and foster renewed detente in the Cold War back home. The 1974 Invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union ground these plans to a halt.
President George Bush condemned the Soviet invasion in no uncertain terms. He was joined in this by most of not just the American political spectrum, but the world at large. Soviet First Secretary Yuri Andropov, shocked by the blowback, decided that the time for cooperation between the superpowers was coming to an end. Tensions were beginning to flare up once more. As a result, joint-space ventures were no longer politically in vogue in either country. A renewed sense of competition, of rivalry emerged.

The Second Space Race was on.

Thus, at the close of 1974, when President Bush was approached by NASA with an ambitious (and expensive) plan for a “Space Transportation System”, he was immediately intrigued.

Known internally within NASA as the “Integrated Program Plan” (IPP), the proposal pitched a system of reusable, crewed space vehicles to support extended operations beyond the Apollo-Svarog visitations. The purpose of the system would be two-fold: to reduce the cost of manned spaceflight by replacing the then-current method of launching capsules on expendable rockets; and to support even more ambitious follow-on programs including permanent orbiting space stations around Earth and the Moon, perhaps eventually, even a manned mission to Mars.

An initial report, made to President Bush on the program’s potential, provided an outline of the STS, which would be broken up into three different levels of effort. The hope was that these could culminate with a human Mars landing by 1983, at the earliest, and by the end of the twentieth century, at the latest. The system’s major components would include:

• A permanent space station module designed for 6 to 12 occupants, in a 500 km low Earth orbit, as well as a permanent lunar orbit station. Modules could be combined in Earth orbit to create a 50 to 100 person permanent station.
  • A chemically-fueled Earth-to-orbit shuttle.
  • A chemically fueled “space tug” to move crew and equipment between Earth orbits as high as geosynchronous orbit, which could also be adapted as a lunar orbit-to-surface shuttle.
  • A nuclear-powered shuttle or ferry using the Nuclear Engine for Rocket Vehicle Application (NERVA), to move crew, spacecraft and supplies between low Earth orbit and lunar orbit, geosynchronous orbit, or to other planets in the solar system. A crew module derived from the space station module could then be used to send humans to the Moon or Mars.

The tug and ferry vehicles would be of a modular design, allowing them to be clustered or staged for large payloads or interplanetary missions. The system would be supported by permanent Earth and lunar orbital propellant depots, as well. The Saturn V rocket might still have been used as a heavy lift launch vehicle for the nuclear ferry and space station modules, as necessary. A special "Mars Excursion Module" would then be the only remaining vehicle necessary for a human Mars landing.

7u5CeDLqGs5R7H2jdy2gM6GNf8anixqcBphPJU63-DItYnFRZB0Am1BMqF1RvaiEzKiYRmL7HMb17sSRNGjaCHzkvrxGQhla8Dym-_ebkXJFtojZhgNPa6rCBMnKk2mhlKkLxHZIAkjQfohr6bpjxyj9vNr_mJNu-CkH1vds-TpHwRlwu261JxDnc7on4g
jBRZdIUuqLzgWVGsA4QxN1jB5h9k1kF9PKydc6kckBnckZWZL8fhl6PGBFsqCpDZbgj-gFd1Ry1th42wNgaj2Y6iA1ldxd8lsfsKza07GWswNQKbGsqo2HH2ebKT9-Qn0ttjp_AVLqNR4bNcV5COsgNThT22yHGz5W87cSgESgmyRSK0agfqSGvMg2g_Hw

WY7_dC3ngMxmA9usN9xCB6Od_l60E12qM8X4UmdH0K9Mmc-RawQxAqMY2tv4p24z4ygZYI3_r-c6Q9xyrifz62natjGCWHWD6a8D1nirRnzbMZHyt4mYx4rEdjHkO-D9yd7E10_H77qfC9CDkyZgWGTunP-glVglaaTurqB7gMgZ3JehxHjWSlGKHi_UBA
9R0bBnENWP6lIU9DrecdQ41ioI2e7pJinYEtyNS7g6ONvjQEEJE9j88_cmOuEdMHeefvSg4grrpWmWiMxzcmjP7DcwaAHp8FUIkieW9yGvui81ZinCnEopa-pQFc_PWcAqr3BsL5vk6ncLKsYkq5M1mI7zGCnGyUvoGmjKgnCAa9u6dNkBLFY-lbpP98rQ
Above: Additional concept drawings from NASA scientists used to pitch the System to President Bush. (Source: wikipedia.org).

A number of prominent current and former astronauts, including Buzz Aldrin, and Senators John Glenn (D - OH) and Harrison Schmitt (R - NM) were quick to support the proposal. Along with public science advocates like Carl Sagan, they encouraged both President Bush and his 1976 electoral opponent, Representative Mo Udall, to go on the record endorsing it as well. Both would eventually do so, allowing NASA to commence its research and development of the vehicles immediately.
dgP9r72_YlPIgBQY1yffkaIHrx6lj7eMPloKEQ1tkiH2q2jqNMPsDaG032nETksgG8tJ6jNp_4QfxpNLYld9TFi4DkQskt7zprQFWe9UfNgabzHxLbPJ6C3TPtV7PYPoyciYIraDXSS8Xi89jWkXVuzK0JRlqdFrMi0J8jVHyNIV2whgVQGDN8TJsD-3PA
Yz3LhFtbk93Y1yg7Py-0j-6ONGC8RXRsrLpSCNi9lExBWUxBllK8xfl8bN6XHqJuyz6Xe-PnE_ILLezDhJRpCP220K1GGsam45n-SwZ9zHI7N0Gg9VF4A4jtvAu91OBQE6nDBmFs8quiRQ5mZKu3XWZcWSTJaw0aOvnab-y2Kf0BXzSk97SaCrmKVP3kdQ

Throughout the transition between the Bush and Udall administrations in 1976-1977, the STS program continued with R&D. Upon taking office, the new Commander in Chief approved NASA’s requisitions, but asked for an updated timeline of when the country could expect each phase of the project to be complete. NASA and its leadership remained optimistic in the initial stages, but insisted that they needed to maintain high levels of public support (and thus, funding) in order to meet their deadlines.

To ensure this, they made a bold recommendation to President Udall: use the Saturn V and NERVA to send a probe on a “Grand Tour” of the Solar System. A rare alignment of the planets that occurs every 174 years was set to occur between 1976 and 1980, allowing a spacecraft to visit Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune with relatively limited costs in fuel and other materials. The probe, following its cousins the twins Voyager-1 and 2, which were launched in September of 1977, could send back precious scientific data to researchers back on Earth, and demonstrate to the world that America would continue to lead humanity in Space discovery, with or without the help of the Soviet Union.

Udall signed off on the plan, and the probe, designated Triumph, launched in July of 1978. But the President was not content to rest on the laurels of this achievement. Indeed, with public interest in the space program heating up once again, the “Arizona Cowboy” saw in the STS program a chance to find a second “crowning achievement” for his first term that he could tout, alongside his success at expanding Medicare to grant universal healthcare.

Following the successful launch of the Space Shuttle Columbia on January 17th, 1979, President Udall made its mission, STS-1, one of the key themes of his second State of the Union Address, which he delivered eight days later. In that speech, in front of both chambers of Congress and millions of viewers watching on television around the world, Udall made a bold declaration, not unlike the one that President Kennedy had made nearly twenty years prior:

“Utilizing the breathtaking new systems that NASA has pioneered over the last decade, we will, before the end of my first term in office, complete and launch the first permanent, crewed, Earth-orbiting space station. We will do this not just with American ingenuity, but with enthusiastic support from the NASDA of Japan, our European friends in the ESA, and Canadians of the CSA. In the field of discovery, and especially space, America has always been and remains the leader of the free world.”

Riotous applause forced Udall to pause. He beamed, then continued.

“And we won’t stop there! This station, aptly named Freedom, will serve as a staging ground for further exploration. By 1985, we will establish a permanent base of operations on the Lunar Surface. Before the dawn of the next millennium, we will send a man to Mars!”

ydN_ZIebrxK2QiF0CwnXRyCxYpasWHZ1qx_C8IHHNVFgJT8SAomd66Bn8mdkhqbcsT16U8nYgKRnEBWNAT4-8duwDwQGjUhWLBDibHn-_XD1BxkIByjFAnhF1beyH-9p3olWf1y_k5XCXMz4U2cJs4DELDia8thCMGKnZwhrx8gxWpjvrUi8DabSoaizmQ

The speech was well-received by the public, though budget hawks in both parties practically went into fits when the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) sent over the projected cost figures. Some Democrats, worried about the massive new spending commitments that the program would entail, pleaded with the President to push tax reforms through, closing loopholes in the code, and ending Bush-era breaks on capital gains and corporations. Udall agreed, but told his party that they would have to wait until after the 1980 election.

“The last thing I need is Reagan or whoever I’m up against telling folks that I raised taxes at the first sign of an economic recovery.”

Ua165mZYohYhQG3BvvIuO7E3LQX4W3qWj3P6jHtP6DUt-4PlG_XaNT4TR4NWn4uHUpqPrD6eed14kt0QFLLf5yinKMqG9OkbFa7mey8LUKaYWPFaW1ZWiYcZv3GM4d-gf4BVeL68sVVb6NVDVN5Xqc5v_WPsfUKo5YtC2gKYqqn68xmo03LCbtmHBcL43A
FVEO9UwuXq20-LSAAOrDIxMF9gzRS7to4lpxy0DuW_wVfi4datSmN7ye22u6JY_mze31gm6wVPjK-Q7y8o7uuJN7mn1IHZGKDrT7yWf3y6xQlXW1il3iNQF6nYzeP8Lxa4rJo6NT70_xJpfIamjQX-H109w0eeTLj0UNI_nhhL5PJJ4RwDn8KYu5GdtRdQ
0a01AcgVmOY_zJcqvU-dMu8S_V3ByMM_CvjXTUz-ucT3UGmXKpvlMG7hVfJ5skXLyFUmmmjPPzwi6cKVNjuG2yjGIB949yE0zTkEzdiNTNXxUIGmtxBho0yVT3TbGHUuQ0sBjlhwEE6MrviW9d-c4zBNRhRYr34DlMnaPVv1SndY5ABIRJD6iOOF50cDnw

If the American impulse after Apollo-Svarog was to double down on renewed competition, igniting a Second Space Race, one might have expected the Soviet Union to likewise rise to the occasion and continue the contest. To some extent, this was the case.

Unwilling to lose face in the wake of these ambitious American goals, First Secretary Yuri Andorpov ordered Interkosmos and the other divisions of the Soviet space program to gather what it had learned from the A-S missions and create its own answer to the STS. Hoping to inspire public confidence in this gesture, Andropov created a new ministry, the Ministry of Space, and an associated Secretary position within the Cabinet of Ministers. To head up the Ministry, he made the historic choice of selecting a member of the Presidium of the Soviet Union, and the first Woman on the Moon, Valentina Tereshkova. In accepting, Tereshkova became the first woman in Soviet history to rise to a position among the Cabinet.

Forty-two years old in March of 1979, Tereshkova had, initially against her wishes, been transitioned from a continuing career in spaceflight and engineering to a political one. Though she was made a Colonel in the Soviet Air Force in 1976, she was forbidden by the Soviet government from taking part in additional space missions. Privately, Andropov himself told Tereshkova that her popularity made her “irreplaceable”. Fearing an Apollo-Svarog XIII style incident going wrong, the decision was made to keep Tereshkova grounded, so that she might continue to serve as a symbol of Soviet egalitarianism and success. An international role-model for feminists and leftists, Tereshkova eventually warmed somewhat to her celebrity status, though she refused to become nothing more than a “figurehead”. This refusal, and her subsequent appointment to the Cabinet broke her already strained relationship with her husband, fellow cosmonaut Andriyan Nikolayev. The couple separated a few months later, in the summer of 1979. They would divorce in 1982.

Despite these personal setbacks for Tereshkova, she was excited at another prospect that her appointment presaged - the possibility for reform within the Soviet Union as a whole. Though most of her time was spent poring over proposals for the space program (most of which she found either unrealistic or impossible due to a lack of funding), she did find time to network and forge alliances with other reform-minded individuals within the Soviet government.

Among these were Secretariat for Agriculture Mikhail Gorbachev, whom Tereshkova (along with everyone else) could tell that Andropov was grooming to become his successor, what with his chairing Politburo meetings and beginning to speak out on subjects besides agriculture. Tereshkova liked Gorbachev. She supposed he would make a fine First Secretary someday. There was also Yegor Ligachyov and Nikolai Ryzhkov, both men who saw the need for more structural change than what Andropov’s reshuffling of personnel would allow. They wanted large-scale reform in the same vein as those initiated by Zhou Enlai and Hu Yaobang in the People’s Republic of China.

“A society should never become like a pond with stagnant water, without movement.” Gorbachev told Tereshkova upon their first meeting. “That’s the most important thing.” Tereshkova agreed.
SV1aN5aUTm9e-BBmgeB3n_gY2nSBIQzo7-BVuji4HyiLSPtw40CLrH6jRj4sb1AOqU-QdIz7pEAxUtQceUNCxCfKpLR9ahtTOPUklDEJ8krd4vxeb2BcZ1TKzLwlpPS7XDBkFThjnfhGdMfvbHk8WxCBi2SEarVjmPNhlly5NfBh2b00023X-Lnc_ntgsA
ZPhrWNOrD7CnC2qnyH2qSJf4rPiKJImrC3S9HnKMexNti7SIQ8j6RuC54SYBnwl3ZBTeQcrcoekO5IRHHM6tMKN6TXcRvzEPpfZqltBWqwum_19q_Kx4IB-DYMt2rvA6Xo8aUJbBbMGCQAOBmir5WMpBTGGlcvvKk0yk9osIlAj5UiCjD4c9ZyspH5KDgA
3utBhkRkkGoAWBhk_m0kx5-xHU3Vk1Jc5hEjNHTHFB1VVvfz-OUuf4nDjr9CGL7Z2RyLXM2daq2riDpgwcbX8hyJ4LRKLMzAimnAGprUXzzHeA9JCLvtWBc7kWGmzF-9UFuZYJWm6qMPcd8U3DtNidYdxPxv_4WLX8ez4jobwmtxk0YFhavRja3fbMm4Hw

Though Comrade Andropov’s tenure had been a source of stability for the Soviet Union over the last decade, it had also become a period of stagnation. The economic progress made by Alexei Kosygin’s reforms back in 1965-66 had long ago stalled. As the economy became increasingly reliant on oil and gas exports, a new generation of more forward-thinking politicians feared what this sort of planning might lead to. This affected the Soviet space program in a number of ways.

For one thing, stagnation produced little extra wealth with which to research and develop rockets and other spacecraft. With their access to American designs and more importantly, capital cut off, the Soviets were forced to go it alone. In a word, they struggled. Minister Tereshkova did her best, however, to set the program off on the right track.

Using her personal popularity and clout with the First Secretary, she fired anyone in the program who did not believe, utterly, in the mission. Clearing out the corrupt bureaucrats and pensioners wasn’t easy, but the Minister (correctly) believed it to be imperative for lifting morale. From there, she oversaw the hiring of new, fresh faces to the program. These younger men and a surprising number of women, had eager eyes and patriotic hearts. They wanted not only to continue to explore the stars, but to give the Americans a run for their money.

Eventually, this new generation of explorers, engineers, and scientists would develop, at long last, their answer to NASA’s STS: plans for a space station of their own, named Равенство - “Ravenstvo” - Equality in response to the Americans’ Freedom.
Though the R&D needed to launch Ravenstvo lagged behind the Yanks by quite a bit, especially the development of a comparable NERVA-style nuclear-powered engine for its later stages, Tereshkova remained optimistic that the Soviets could, at the very least, race the Americans to establish a permanent lunar base. She set the same date as President Udall for this objective, 1985. Mars, then, would be the real test. Could the Soviet system get human beings to the red planet by the year 2000? Tereshkova certainly hoped so.

B9pYdg_xzv1w8bgsIollXiMLbGw6I7Rm6_O91bPp-E_gADVBxunvZg4kGvbvtiw7wkVu173zEtLDZc_LC51gtaeEcMhsgZyH3u8kjUKTmNUaWtpAIXowjuOo4F4P3MwMY34U6RMj5g_yRBSjr8baseQdeJItNtOwZ3EeULdYoR0jSjEllPTrxeUcFTXk9g

The rest of Yuri Andropov’s tenure as First Secretary would see Madam Secretariat devote herself to this task, though come 1982, she would, along with the rest of her country, undergo a tremendous change.

Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: A Look at the Udall Administration’s Energy Policy

Last edited:
2. As per OTL, 1979 is set to see the "peak" of manufacturing as a sector of the American economy. I believe that given macroeconomic trends post-WWII, some decline in American industry, especially the rust-belt, was inevitable. I also believe that over time, much of the US economy would shift to being more service-based.

That said, there are already numerous differences from OTL that will pay dividends for industry down the line. For example: investments in high-tech fields in places like Silicon Valley and Rochester, NY will see a "tech manufacturing" boom in the US. Expect America to be a major player in semiconductor/computer chip manufacturing earlier here, with government subsidies and support. If cities like Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnati, etc. can shore up the immense capital needed to diversify their economies away from heavy industries (which will see more competition as the rest of the world industrializes) and toward services, tourism, and high-tech manufacturing, they should do better than they did IOTL.

A stronger nuclear power industry will also definitely help in places like West Virginia, eastern Ohio, and Pennsylvania. Nuclear plants require large, skilled workforces of operators and engineers. In addition to creating large amounts of good, well-paying jobs, the plants also create a hefty tax base, which can they be used for further government investment in the area.

Other cities in the Midwest (think Youngstown, OH, for instance) could become regional transportation hubs, turning their abandoned factories into warehouses and distribution centers. This isn't "saving" manufacturing of course. But it would help alleviate some of the economic stress that came with the inevitable downsizing.
Thanks for your reply Mr. President, and Merry Chrismas and Happy New Year as well!

My greatest hope is that TTL's America will make smarter economic choice such as not copying OTL's choices of wrecking it's industrial base in favor of enriching finance, insurance and real estate sectors at the expense of everyone else. Instead of deindustrializing, the US perhaps could move toward capital goods and high tech production, TTL's rust and sun belts upskilling their industries instead of not replacing more labor intensive ones.

Thanks for your reply Mr. President, and Merry Chrismas and Happy New Year as well!

My greatest hope is that TTL's America will make smarter economic choice such as not copying OTL's choices of wrecking it's industrial base in favor of enriching finance, insurance and real estate sectors at the expense of everyone else. Instead of deindustrializing, the US perhaps could move toward capital goods and high tech production, TTL's rust and sun belts upskilling their industries instead of not replacing more labor intensive ones.
I think this is likely the path America will head down ITTL. Here's hoping with you! :)

Happy New Year, everyone!

@President_Lincoln, what will happen TTL to Angola and Mozambique following the Portuguese withdrawal? Will the violence of OTL’s late 70’s and 80’s occur TTL?

Also, what of Cambodia? IIRC, you said an ongoing Khmer Rouge insurgency was ongoing in the last Cambodian War update, but we’ve seen relative silence from Cambodia since America troops were withdrawn. Is the insurgency ongoing?

Finally, the first chapter of the second act of BSiC is here and It's awesome.

Also, Happy new year.
Happy New Year, everyone!

@President_Lincoln, what will happen TTL to Angola and Mozambique following the Portuguese withdrawal? Will the violence of OTL’s late 70’s and 80’s occur TTL?

Also, what of Cambodia? IIRC, you said an ongoing Khmer Rouge insurgency was ongoing in the last Cambodian War update, but we’ve seen relative silence from Cambodia since America troops were withdrawn. Is the insurgency ongoing?
Happy new year!

Yeah, I’m curious to see if Angola and Mozambique are still communist ITTL, and if they are then how they will handle it compared to IOTL.

Also yes I agree I am wondering what is going on in Cambodia as of right now. Is S-21 being run ITTL?

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you as well!

I liked many of your suggestions, and plan to incorporate a lot of them into the Philippines Chapter when I get around to writing it. In the meantime, you can consider the first handful of Presidents/Vice Presidents you listed as "canon". Thank you for contributing to the timeline! It brings me great joy to know that my project here can mean so much to you.

Best wishes, my friend. :)
Happy New Year Genius! Thank you for your response on what would be the best case scenario for our country ITTL. The Alternate Philippine Presidents and Vice Presidents ITTL is something that I carefully pick for less than 4 years. They're the best and the brightest Filipinos that I know of. I accept it as a canon! No, thank you for giving me a chance for the suggestion that you'll create a better world ITTL. It really now means to me.

Same to you genius. And again, Happy New Year!

Fantastic update.

Now I do wonder are the Chinese ever gonna join in? I expect that they would if internal stability is high enough. I also imagine European countries would join as well like Britian.

Also did Rep. Milk win re-election or was he one of 14 defeated?

By the way, since the last chapter brought up space travel, I'm hoping the Challenger explosion is averted.
As do I; actually, I hope that use of the OTL mission patch not withstanding, they choose a completely different shuttle design entirely.
There were so many better contenders in the running, and with greater support one of those could easily be built instead.

Happy New year everyone. Great update on NASA and the Soviet Union's space program. It's been so long I'd forgotten that in TTL the USA and USSR worked together in getting a man on the moon so it was nice to see that cooperation continue.

Chapter 121: Space Truckin’ - NASA and the Soviet Space Program after Apollo-Svarog
AyizkdWRclUWOBii4o5OJb_SQxte-ZvXahVZ9qoTDSCP_0NzfIFC-69CpIX7qRfR2U0NBJh0SIfibFBm2TQwvAinIzcfsYqUNXBXVb6d-QjmFdfwaFCU1eKwOIB8qbXOdiSNmJtgG45Zt6Zxj02fu1zHPTvzorEEqiprHGeKGGgign_7G4qUx8mr1YKlTA
1mmdwOVXOy34TqixsOTxzXRph05l8cWjGICl0WjaTp_6ypDrTDq7ZjogJHtLoGzNQF_O1K1KS0qrGi7SCzj3DGYZiFoBAPFQh1YbRmp0Hl0ogg56ApL6ngB-ZdTag8OY6mmqZrsvQtnRbwCK30WJE5JRKjy5899-3sNP8Ty4KtwAdhSAUr5Si03hFKaKfw
Above: Mission Patch for STS-1, the first of Columbia’s many missions (left); 1970 artist’s concept illustrating use of a Space Shuttle, Nuclear Shuttle, and Space Tug (right).

“Well, we had a lot of luck on Venus
We always had a ball on Mars
We’re meeting all the groovy people
We’ve rocked the Milky Way so far
We danced around the Borealis
We’re Space truckin’ round the stars

Let’s go Space truckin’
Space truckin’”
- “Space Truckin’” by Deep Purple

“Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.” - Carl Sagan

Following the momentous achievement of landing a man and a woman on the Moon in 1969, fulfilling President Kennedy’s pledge and bringing the US and Soviet Union together in a magical moment of unity, an obvious question emerged for both superpowers’ space programs: what next?

At first, the hope on both sides of the Iron Curtain was for continued cooperation. NASA and Interkosmos agreed that lowering costs and fostering international teamwork were both laudable goals. The Apollo-Svarog Missions continued until the completion of A-S XVII in 1972. Though public interest in the space program waned somewhat following the Moon Landing, it shot up again in 1970, in the aftermath of the near disaster that was A-S XIII.

An absolute nail-biter of a situation, the proposed third lunar landing was launched from Kennedy Space Center on April 11th, 1970. The landing was aborted, however, when an oxygen tank in the service module became compromised only two days into the mission.

A routine stir of an oxygen tank ignited damaged wire insulation inside it. This caused an explosion that vented the contents of both of the service module’s oxygen tanks to space. Without oxygen, needed for breathing and for generating electric power, the SM's propulsion and life support systems were rendered inoperable. The command module’'s systems had to be shut down to conserve its remaining resources for reentry, forcing the crew to transfer to the lunar lander itself as a “lifeboat”. With the lunar landing canceled, mission controllers in Houston worked to bring the crew home alive. The incident, picked up and recorded via radio, produced the famous quote from Cosmonaut Yuri Malyshev: “Houston, we’re having problems.” In time, this would become an idiom in both English and Russian, usually employed as a sarcastic understatement of alarm.

Blessedly, some quick thinking and improvisation by both American and Soviet scientists helped to prevent disaster. The crew of A-S XIII returned to earth on April 17th, safe and sound.

Following the completion of A-S XVII, the two superpowers laid the groundwork for plans to create an “International Space Station”. This project, it was hoped, would continue scientific cooperation, and foster renewed detente in the Cold War back home. The 1974 Invasion of Afghanistan by the Soviet Union ground these plans to a halt.
President George Bush condemned the Soviet invasion in no uncertain terms. He was joined in this by most of not just the American political spectrum, but the world at large. Soviet First Secretary Yuri Andropov, shocked by the blowback, decided that the time for cooperation between the superpowers was coming to an end. Tensions were beginning to flare up once more. As a result, joint-space ventures were no longer politically in vogue in either country. A renewed sense of competition, of rivalry emerged.

The Second Space Race was on.

Thus, at the close of 1974, when President Bush was approached by NASA with an ambitious (and expensive) plan for a “Space Transportation System”, he was immediately intrigued.

Known internally within NASA as the “Integrated Program Plan” (IPP), the proposal pitched a system of reusable, crewed space vehicles to support extended operations beyond the Apollo-Svarog visitations. The purpose of the system would be two-fold: to reduce the cost of manned spaceflight by replacing the then-current method of launching capsules on expendable rockets; and to support even more ambitious follow-on programs including permanent orbiting space stations around Earth and the Moon, perhaps eventually, even a manned mission to Mars.

An initial report, made to President Bush on the program’s potential, provided an outline of the STS, which would be broken up into three different levels of effort. The hope was that these could culminate with a human Mars landing by 1983, at the earliest, and by the end of the twentieth century, at the latest. The system’s major components would include:

• A permanent space station module designed for 6 to 12 occupants, in a 500 km low Earth orbit, as well as a permanent lunar orbit station. Modules could be combined in Earth orbit to create a 50 to 100 person permanent station.
  • A chemically-fueled Earth-to-orbit shuttle.
  • A chemically fueled “space tug” to move crew and equipment between Earth orbits as high as geosynchronous orbit, which could also be adapted as a lunar orbit-to-surface shuttle.
  • A nuclear-powered shuttle or ferry using the Nuclear Engine for Rocket Vehicle Application (NERVA), to move crew, spacecraft and supplies between low Earth orbit and lunar orbit, geosynchronous orbit, or to other planets in the solar system. A crew module derived from the space station module could then be used to send humans to the Moon or Mars.

The tug and ferry vehicles would be of a modular design, allowing them to be clustered or staged for large payloads or interplanetary missions. The system would be supported by permanent Earth and lunar orbital propellant depots, as well. The Saturn V rocket might still have been used as a heavy lift launch vehicle for the nuclear ferry and space station modules, as necessary. A special "Mars Excursion Module" would then be the only remaining vehicle necessary for a human Mars landing.

7u5CeDLqGs5R7H2jdy2gM6GNf8anixqcBphPJU63-DItYnFRZB0Am1BMqF1RvaiEzKiYRmL7HMb17sSRNGjaCHzkvrxGQhla8Dym-_ebkXJFtojZhgNPa6rCBMnKk2mhlKkLxHZIAkjQfohr6bpjxyj9vNr_mJNu-CkH1vds-TpHwRlwu261JxDnc7on4g
jBRZdIUuqLzgWVGsA4QxN1jB5h9k1kF9PKydc6kckBnckZWZL8fhl6PGBFsqCpDZbgj-gFd1Ry1th42wNgaj2Y6iA1ldxd8lsfsKza07GWswNQKbGsqo2HH2ebKT9-Qn0ttjp_AVLqNR4bNcV5COsgNThT22yHGz5W87cSgESgmyRSK0agfqSGvMg2g_Hw

WY7_dC3ngMxmA9usN9xCB6Od_l60E12qM8X4UmdH0K9Mmc-RawQxAqMY2tv4p24z4ygZYI3_r-c6Q9xyrifz62natjGCWHWD6a8D1nirRnzbMZHyt4mYx4rEdjHkO-D9yd7E10_H77qfC9CDkyZgWGTunP-glVglaaTurqB7gMgZ3JehxHjWSlGKHi_UBA
9R0bBnENWP6lIU9DrecdQ41ioI2e7pJinYEtyNS7g6ONvjQEEJE9j88_cmOuEdMHeefvSg4grrpWmWiMxzcmjP7DcwaAHp8FUIkieW9yGvui81ZinCnEopa-pQFc_PWcAqr3BsL5vk6ncLKsYkq5M1mI7zGCnGyUvoGmjKgnCAa9u6dNkBLFY-lbpP98rQ
Above: Additional concept drawings from NASA scientists used to pitch the System to President Bush. (Source: wikipedia.org).

A number of prominent current and former astronauts, including Buzz Aldrin, and Senators John Glenn (D - OH) and Harrison Schmitt (R - NM) were quick to support the proposal. Along with public science advocates like Carl Sagan, they encouraged both President Bush and his 1976 electoral opponent, Representative Mo Udall, to go on the record endorsing it as well. Both would eventually do so, allowing NASA to commence its research and development of the vehicles immediately.
dgP9r72_YlPIgBQY1yffkaIHrx6lj7eMPloKEQ1tkiH2q2jqNMPsDaG032nETksgG8tJ6jNp_4QfxpNLYld9TFi4DkQskt7zprQFWe9UfNgabzHxLbPJ6C3TPtV7PYPoyciYIraDXSS8Xi89jWkXVuzK0JRlqdFrMi0J8jVHyNIV2whgVQGDN8TJsD-3PA
Yz3LhFtbk93Y1yg7Py-0j-6ONGC8RXRsrLpSCNi9lExBWUxBllK8xfl8bN6XHqJuyz6Xe-PnE_ILLezDhJRpCP220K1GGsam45n-SwZ9zHI7N0Gg9VF4A4jtvAu91OBQE6nDBmFs8quiRQ5mZKu3XWZcWSTJaw0aOvnab-y2Kf0BXzSk97SaCrmKVP3kdQ

Throughout the transition between the Bush and Udall administrations in 1976-1977, the STS program continued with R&D. Upon taking office, the new Commander in Chief approved NASA’s requisitions, but asked for an updated timeline of when the country could expect each phase of the project to be complete. NASA and its leadership remained optimistic in the initial stages, but insisted that they needed to maintain high levels of public support (and thus, funding) in order to meet their deadlines.

To ensure this, they made a bold recommendation to President Udall: use the Saturn V and NERVA to send a probe on a “Grand Tour” of the Solar System. A rare alignment of the planets that occurs every 174 years was set to occur between 1976 and 1980, allowing a spacecraft to visit Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune with relatively limited costs in fuel and other materials. The probe, following its cousins the twins Voyager-1 and 2, which were launched in September of 1977, could send back precious scientific data to researchers back on Earth, and demonstrate to the world that America would continue to lead humanity in Space discovery, with or without the help of the Soviet Union.

Udall signed off on the plan, and the probe, designated Triumph, launched in July of 1978. But the President was not content to rest on the laurels of this achievement. Indeed, with public interest in the space program heating up once again, the “Arizona Cowboy” saw in the STS program a chance to find a second “crowning achievement” for his first term that he could tout, alongside his success at expanding Medicare to grant universal healthcare.

Following the successful launch of the Space Shuttle Columbia on January 17th, 1979, President Udall made its mission, STS-1, one of the key themes of his second State of the Union Address, which he delivered eight days later. In that speech, in front of both chambers of Congress and millions of viewers watching on television around the world, Udall made a bold declaration, not unlike the one that President Kennedy had made nearly twenty years prior:

“Utilizing the breathtaking new systems that NASA has pioneered over the last decade, we will, before the end of my first term in office, complete and launch the first permanent, crewed, Earth-orbiting space station. We will do this not just with American ingenuity, but with enthusiastic support from the NASDA of Japan, our European friends in the ESA, and Canadians of the CSA. In the field of discovery, and especially space, America has always been and remains the leader of the free world.”

Riotous applause forced Udall to pause. He beamed, then continued.

“And we won’t stop there! This station, aptly named Freedom, will serve as a staging ground for further exploration. By 1985, we will establish a permanent base of operations on the Lunar Surface. Before the dawn of the next millennium, we will send a man to Mars!”

ydN_ZIebrxK2QiF0CwnXRyCxYpasWHZ1qx_C8IHHNVFgJT8SAomd66Bn8mdkhqbcsT16U8nYgKRnEBWNAT4-8duwDwQGjUhWLBDibHn-_XD1BxkIByjFAnhF1beyH-9p3olWf1y_k5XCXMz4U2cJs4DELDia8thCMGKnZwhrx8gxWpjvrUi8DabSoaizmQ

The speech was well-received by the public, though budget hawks in both parties practically went into fits when the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) sent over the projected cost figures. Some Democrats, worried about the massive new spending commitments that the program would entail, pleaded with the President to push tax reforms through, closing loopholes in the code, and ending Bush-era breaks on capital gains and corporations. Udall agreed, but told his party that they would have to wait until after the 1980 election.

“The last thing I need is Reagan or whoever I’m up against telling folks that I raised taxes at the first sign of an economic recovery.”

Ua165mZYohYhQG3BvvIuO7E3LQX4W3qWj3P6jHtP6DUt-4PlG_XaNT4TR4NWn4uHUpqPrD6eed14kt0QFLLf5yinKMqG9OkbFa7mey8LUKaYWPFaW1ZWiYcZv3GM4d-gf4BVeL68sVVb6NVDVN5Xqc5v_WPsfUKo5YtC2gKYqqn68xmo03LCbtmHBcL43A
FVEO9UwuXq20-LSAAOrDIxMF9gzRS7to4lpxy0DuW_wVfi4datSmN7ye22u6JY_mze31gm6wVPjK-Q7y8o7uuJN7mn1IHZGKDrT7yWf3y6xQlXW1il3iNQF6nYzeP8Lxa4rJo6NT70_xJpfIamjQX-H109w0eeTLj0UNI_nhhL5PJJ4RwDn8KYu5GdtRdQ
0a01AcgVmOY_zJcqvU-dMu8S_V3ByMM_CvjXTUz-ucT3UGmXKpvlMG7hVfJ5skXLyFUmmmjPPzwi6cKVNjuG2yjGIB949yE0zTkEzdiNTNXxUIGmtxBho0yVT3TbGHUuQ0sBjlhwEE6MrviW9d-c4zBNRhRYr34DlMnaPVv1SndY5ABIRJD6iOOF50cDnw

If the American impulse after Apollo-Svarog was to double down on renewed competition, igniting a Second Space Race, one might have expected the Soviet Union to likewise rise to the occasion and continue the contest. To some extent, this was the case.

Unwilling to lose face in the wake of these ambitious American goals, First Secretary Yuri Andorpov ordered Interkosmos and the other divisions of the Soviet space program to gather what it had learned from the A-S missions and create its own answer to the STS. Hoping to inspire public confidence in this gesture, Andropov created a new ministry, the Ministry of Space, and an associated Secretary position within the Cabinet of Ministers. To head up the Ministry, he made the historic choice of selecting a member of the Presidium of the Soviet Union, and the first Woman on the Moon, Valentina Tereshkova. In accepting, Tereshkova became the first woman in Soviet history to rise to a position among the Cabinet.

Forty-two years old in March of 1979, Tereshkova had, initially against her wishes, been transitioned from a continuing career in spaceflight and engineering to a political one. Though she was made a Colonel in the Soviet Air Force in 1976, she was forbidden by the Soviet government from taking part in additional space missions. Privately, Andropov himself told Tereshkova that her popularity made her “irreplaceable”. Fearing an Apollo-Svarog XIII style incident going wrong, the decision was made to keep Tereshkova grounded, so that she might continue to serve as a symbol of Soviet egalitarianism and success. An international role-model for feminists and leftists, Tereshkova eventually warmed somewhat to her celebrity status, though she refused to become nothing more than a “figurehead”. This refusal, and her subsequent appointment to the Cabinet broke her already strained relationship with her husband, fellow cosmonaut Andriyan Nikolayev. The couple separated a few months later, in the summer of 1979. They would divorce in 1982.

Despite these personal setbacks for Tereshkova, she was excited at another prospect that her appointment presaged - the possibility for reform within the Soviet Union as a whole. Though most of her time was spent poring over proposals for the space program (most of which she found either unrealistic or impossible due to a lack of funding), she did find time to network and forge alliances with other reform-minded individuals within the Soviet government.

Among these were Secretariat for Agriculture Mikhail Gorbachev, whom Tereshkova (along with everyone else) could tell that Andropov was grooming to become his successor, what with his chairing Politburo meetings and beginning to speak out on subjects besides agriculture. Tereshkova liked Gorbachev. She supposed he would make a fine First Secretary someday. There was also Yegor Ligachyov and Nikolai Ryzhkov, both men who saw the need for more structural change than what Andropov’s reshuffling of personnel would allow. They wanted large-scale reform in the same vein as those initiated by Zhou Enlai and Hu Yaobang in the People’s Republic of China.

“A society should never become like a pond with stagnant water, without movement.” Gorbachev told Tereshkova upon their first meeting. “That’s the most important thing.” Tereshkova agreed.
SV1aN5aUTm9e-BBmgeB3n_gY2nSBIQzo7-BVuji4HyiLSPtw40CLrH6jRj4sb1AOqU-QdIz7pEAxUtQceUNCxCfKpLR9ahtTOPUklDEJ8krd4vxeb2BcZ1TKzLwlpPS7XDBkFThjnfhGdMfvbHk8WxCBi2SEarVjmPNhlly5NfBh2b00023X-Lnc_ntgsA
ZPhrWNOrD7CnC2qnyH2qSJf4rPiKJImrC3S9HnKMexNti7SIQ8j6RuC54SYBnwl3ZBTeQcrcoekO5IRHHM6tMKN6TXcRvzEPpfZqltBWqwum_19q_Kx4IB-DYMt2rvA6Xo8aUJbBbMGCQAOBmir5WMpBTGGlcvvKk0yk9osIlAj5UiCjD4c9ZyspH5KDgA
3utBhkRkkGoAWBhk_m0kx5-xHU3Vk1Jc5hEjNHTHFB1VVvfz-OUuf4nDjr9CGL7Z2RyLXM2daq2riDpgwcbX8hyJ4LRKLMzAimnAGprUXzzHeA9JCLvtWBc7kWGmzF-9UFuZYJWm6qMPcd8U3DtNidYdxPxv_4WLX8ez4jobwmtxk0YFhavRja3fbMm4Hw

Though Comrade Andropov’s tenure had been a source of stability for the Soviet Union over the last decade, it had also become a period of stagnation. The economic progress made by Alexei Kosygin’s reforms back in 1965-66 had long ago stalled. As the economy became increasingly reliant on oil and gas exports, a new generation of more forward-thinking politicians feared what this sort of planning might lead to. This affected the Soviet space program in a number of ways.

For one thing, stagnation produced little extra wealth with which to research and develop rockets and other spacecraft. With their access to American designs and more importantly, capital cut off, the Soviets were forced to go it alone. In a word, they struggled. Minister Tereshkova did her best, however, to set the program off on the right track.

Using her personal popularity and clout with the First Secretary, she fired anyone in the program who did not believe, utterly, in the mission. Clearing out the corrupt bureaucrats and pensioners wasn’t easy, but the Minister (correctly) believed it to be imperative for lifting morale. From there, she oversaw the hiring of new, fresh faces to the program. These younger men and a surprising number of women, had eager eyes and patriotic hearts. They wanted not only to continue to explore the stars, but to give the Americans a run for their money.

Eventually, this new generation of explorers, engineers, and scientists would develop, at long last, their answer to NASA’s STS: plans for a space station of their own, named Равенство - “Ravenstvo” - Equality in response to the Americans’ Freedom.
Though the R&D needed to launch Ravenstvo lagged behind the Yanks by quite a bit, especially the development of a comparable NERVA-style nuclear-powered engine for its later stages, Tereshkova remained optimistic that the Soviets could, at the very least, race the Americans to establish a permanent lunar base. She set the same date as President Udall for this objective, 1985. Mars, then, would be the real test. Could the Soviet system get human beings to the red planet by the year 2000? Tereshkova certainly hoped so.

B9pYdg_xzv1w8bgsIollXiMLbGw6I7Rm6_O91bPp-E_gADVBxunvZg4kGvbvtiw7wkVu173zEtLDZc_LC51gtaeEcMhsgZyH3u8kjUKTmNUaWtpAIXowjuOo4F4P3MwMY34U6RMj5g_yRBSjr8baseQdeJItNtOwZ3EeULdYoR0jSjEllPTrxeUcFTXk9g

The rest of Yuri Andropov’s tenure as First Secretary would see Madam Secretariat devote herself to this task, though come 1982, she would, along with the rest of her country, undergo a tremendous change.

Next Time on Blue Skies in Camelot: A Look at the Udall Administration’s Energy Policy
Wonderful chapter genius! With the Americans having Freedom, and Russians having Equality; the Second Space Race is on its way! Astronaut Tereshkova being a cabinet minister to First Secretary Andropov is a surprise for me and an achievement to her. Shouldn't Yuri Gagarin also be there helping her to make their space station a possibility now that the Americans are planning it first?

I forgot to ask you another question genius:
1. What happened between Sid Vicious and Nancy Spungen? IOTL, Vicious killed Spungen while doing drugs. ITTL, what happened to them? Did they went on rehab to clean up their act and so does their band, The Clash to have a healthier and better life?
2. Does Barbara Walters still gonna be the famous journalist and newsanchor now that President Kennedy survived his assassination attempt in 1963? Because IOTL, that was her big break in the news. Would she will be at NBC co-hosting to hosting The Today Show ITTL? Or still gonna move to ABC and follow her same path IOTL?
3. Would the child stars of Different Strokes gonna have a healthier and better life in the 80's ITTL?
4. Would Nelson Mandela going to be a free man early in the 80's or still going to follow his same path IOTL?
5. Does United Arab Republic still exists or dissolves ITTL?
6. What's happening to the countries under The Warsaw Pact ITTL?
7. Would The Carpenters continue their music career if Karen continue to live beyond the 80's ITTL?
8. Would Steve McQueen, Natalie Wood, Marvin Gaye, Andy Kaufman, and Grace Kelly also continue to live ITTL throughout the 80's and beyond.
9. Does the War on Drugs continue or ended ITTL?
10. If PanAm continues to be a successful airlines beyond the 80's, then The Golden Age of Aviation is still happening ITTL. Does that mean that the Boeing 747 and Concorde also continue beyond the 80's ITTL? I also want to add about The Airline Deregulation Act of 1978 of which President Carter signed that cause the decline of The Golden Age of Aviation IOTL. I hope President Udall extend the law again or make it permanent to not deregulate ITTL.
11. Is Harvey Milk going to live throughout the 80's and beyond ITTL now that he wasn't assassinated like IOTL?
12. Does all countries of Africa still continue having civil wars and other conflicts; or having a progress and prosperity towards a better future ITTL?
13. Does Kodak continue to be the successful photography business ITTL? Would Polaroid have a earlier success ITTL?
14. Would the Bee Gees and Andy Gibb continue to be successful singers/songwriters in the 80's?
15. Is Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton already divorced or still married ITTL?

Last edited:
@President_Lincoln I would like to ask you several questions too:

1. What happened to OTL N1? I personally think that it would have never been built since TTL Moon cooperation agreement in 1964 predates the start of the project in OTL 1965.

2. How are the soviet infrastructure (maybe an earlier KerchBridge?) and aerospace industries (mainly the civilian ones) doing ITTL? Were the Ekranoplans still built and how is the Mil Mi-30 project doing( I suspect a little bit better with no need to redesign the craft after the OTL invasion of Afghanistan in 1979)?

3. How is the Aral Sea doing? Is there any way to save it or at least mitigate its shrinking?

4. How are the soviet armed forces doing? Did they develop more or less like in OTL? Are the Soviets building the Typhoons just like in OTL?

P.S. Happy new year to everyone!

Wow, that latest update was great! Always wished interest in NASA didn't fizzle out after Apollo and the budget was slashed, I think there's a lot of missed potential with the Space Shuttle. Here's to hoping we at least get a Moon base in the 20th century!
2. Certainly! With Fox controlling Star Wars and Paramount owning Star Trek for film, that left Tom Baker and Ian Marter with a few other studios that could reasonably have a shot at pulling off their own Sci-Fi flick.

After finishing their script and winning the approval of BBC Enterprises in October 1975, the creative team for Doctor Who Meets Scratchman then began to shop the project around to different studios. They managed to talk horror icon Vincent Price into playing the film's eponymous villain, which would serve as a draw for American audiences largely unfamiliar with the Doctor and the TARDIS. Thanks to the Price connection, and following the massive, utterly unexpected success of Star Wars for Fox, Baker and Marter managed to secure the backing of Walt Disney Productions early in 1978. Douglas Trumbull, who previously helmed Silent Running for Universal back in 1972, and had worked special effects on numerous films, including 2001: A Space Odyssey, was hired to direct. Filming began in Scotland that spring, with a release date scheduled for Labor Day 1979. In addition to the primary plot with Scratchman, the film would also feature appearances by the Daleks and the Cybermen.
Ooh, yes!!! Disney seems like a very appropriate choice; IIRC, there was a Doctor Who episode they wanted to adapt into a movie (without the Doctor and stuff, strictly a historical film.) If all things go to plan, the movie would help make the Series actually known in the US. Up until this point, I assume much like OTL, various PBS stations would've gotten Third Doctor serials in 1974 but bungled the broadcasts since they didn't realize they WERE serialized, and only recently would said stations pick up Fourth Doctor stories to broadcast properly. If successful, I could see Disney's involvement leading to the show getting broadcast on ABC in the US for greater availability. And of course, the potential for further films! Maybe a second film for release in 1983 as part of the 20th anniversary celebrations? I'm just hoping that BBC and Disney do a good job with Doctor Who Meets Scratchman.

Speaking of, I have a small suggestion regarding Scratchman: perhaps Wendy Carlos could be the film's composer? OTL, she did the music for A Clockwork Orange, The Shining, and most notably Tron. I think she'd do an OUTSTANDING job with Doctor Who, crafting a spooky, synthesized soundtrack and kickstarting her relationship with Disney a few years early.

@President_Lincoln Mr. President, two questions.

1. First, having rewatched the Netflix series Narcos, what is TTL US policies toward drug usage and drug offenses ? Will there be a TTL War on Drugs ?

2. Second, will TTL United States support a counterinsurgency war in El Salvador and direct a guerrilla insurgency in Nicaragua ?